Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie ,looking at getting started

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I said I'd have a few questions.  Well here's the 1st or 2nd ??, should I go for the water fed pole course at the BWCA. Its£195. Have any of you been on the course or know anyone who has?

I said I'd have a few questions.  Well here's the 1st or 2nd ??, should I go for the water fed pole course at the BWCA. Its£195. Have any of you been on the course or know anyone who has?
Personally if I was starting out I wouldn't. Get some work experience on the tools hands on either paid or unpaid with a local window cleaner.

For £195 you'd expect a qualification not blisters 

Also there are plenty of well produced informative videos on YouTube showing tried and test techniques 

Also get the basics and work out whats best for you, considering fitness, fatigue and no house is the same 

A E Mackintosh 

Christopher Dawber aka Wagga 

Squeaky clean Dave 

Green pro clean

Personally if I was starting out I wouldn't. Get some work experience on the tools hands on either paid or unpaid with a local window cleaner.

For £195 you'd expect a qualification not blisters 

Also there are plenty of well produced informative videos on YouTube showing tried and test techniques 

Also get the basics and work out whats best for you, considering fitness, fatigue and no house is the same 

A E Mackintosh 

Christopher Dawber aka Wagga 

Squeaky clean Dave 

Green pro clean
Thanks.  I'll see if a local wfp window cleaner, will let me go round with them for a while. Any on here from Horsham ,west Sussex. 

Ian Docksey said:
Thanks.  I'll see if a local wfp window cleaner, will let me go round with them for a while. Any on here from Horsham ,west Sussex. 
Well anywhere in west sussex really!??

I spent last year working with an established window cleaner before taking the steps to set up on my own.  It was very valuable and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I did it as a free course when they were fitting my first system about 18 years ago , it will give you the basics of how to clean windows but I would spend an evening on YouTube and save your money for something more worth while .

I did it as a free course when they were fitting my first system about 18 years ago , it will give you the basics of how to clean windows but I would spend an evening on YouTube and save your money for something more worth while .
I'm spending every minute I can on YouTube.  Thanks to people like Squeaky Dave and Green pro clean my list of what I thought I needed has gone right down. But I'll probably still get stuff i dont really need. But lessons learned. 

I'm spending every minute I can on YouTube.  Thanks to people like Squeaky Dave and Green pro clean my list of what I thought I needed has gone right down. But I'll probably still get stuff i dont really need. But lessons learned. 
Send me a list of everything you think you need and I'll help you sort through it in priority 

A genuine HM tds meter is a must. I'd always recommend buying 2

1 to you the other as spare especially if your new van install doesn't have a fitting in-line tds meter 

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/handheld-tds-meter?_pos=1&_sid=5ca5f79a5&_ss=r

Now my next question ???

Payment , do you use careless payment DD.  I am thinking of using this. Yes I realise some customers wont go for it. But I'd prefer this in these Covid times and tbh I think serious customers would also.
Cardless is good but I personally think starting out you'll need to keep your overheads down. I've seen inflation on certain PDQ suppliers and surcharges

Also ensure you have a new fresh bank account for business use. Just a standard current account in your name. Nothing fancy.

I really only ever use BACS direct bank transfer and the customers cough up on time.

I made some pretty basic business cards with Your windows were cleaned today on them with a footer message reading if you have any issues please call me immediately 

Cardless is good but I personally think starting out you'll need to keep your overheads down. I've seen inflation on certain PDQ suppliers and surcharges

Also ensure you have a new fresh bank account for business use. Just a standard current account in your name. Nothing fancy.

I really only ever use BACS direct bank transfer and the customers cough up on time.

I made some pretty basic business cards with Your windows were cleaned today on them with a footer message reading if you have any issues please call me immediately 
Yes am opening a new bank account for the business.  Will make some cards as you suggest. And get a card reader machine also then. 

Back