Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie ,looking at getting started

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So in 24hrs things have changed. I will be getting a van and getting a 350ltr system . From the cleaning warehouse. Got a list for poles n brushes etc from Gardiner and Ionics.

Now my next thouhht/question.  Do o go hot water? 

So in 24hrs things have changed. I will be getting a van and getting a 350ltr system . From the cleaning warehouse. Got a list for poles n brushes etc from Gardiner and Ionics.

What system are you getting? The Facelift 350 compact by any chance? 

Go with gardiner poles and brushes they are so much better than Ionics.

Hot water is nice but expensive. See how you go as you can always add it on after as long as you have space.

Go with gardiner poles and brushes they are so much better than Ionics.

Hot water is nice but expensive. See how you go as you can always add it on after as long as you have space.
Yeah stick with Gardiner for the poles for sure!

Which system did you go for? The newer ones they do are MIRA tested which is good!

Are they fitting it or yourself? Be sure to make sure its safe and well bolted down. You may want to consider floor protection from corrosion 

Line X 

Protectors coat

Or make your own fibreglass floor liner 
Will be fitting myself. Yes will put some kind of protective flooring down.

Thanks mate. Will have loads of questions in the future I'm sure. Going to be a huge learning curve. As I say I have a list of things to get. Looking at an SLX22 27ft pole. 
Check out OV8 from Streamline instead. So much better and there is life beyond Gardiner 

With the upmost respect, there have been a few posts where the generic reply reference Water fed poles that are **** they are whippy poles.... 

Some of you are seasoned well established window cleaners with 10 years or more time in the industry.

Let's consider a new starter to the industry doe's not have upwards of £600 -700 spare to buy the creme de la creme of poles and maybe show a little more forethought into the fact they also have to buy a van, tank and filtration system, poles, brush heads, associated hoses and tubing, PLI, van insurance, advertising, work wear etc.

I personally didn't start out with gucci kit and made alot of my own kit such as water fed poles to start me off.

This post isn't a dig or mouthing off session. 

We all need to be a little more understanding, realistic and supportive to the new members entering our industry 

With the upmost respect, there have been a few posts where the generic reply reference Water fed poles that are **** they are whippy poles.... 

Some of you are seasoned well established window cleaners with 10 years or more time in the industry.

Let's consider a new starter to the industry doe's not have upwards of £600 -700 spare to buy the creme de la creme of poles and maybe show a little more forethought into the fact they also have to buy a van, tank and filtration system, poles, brush heads, associated hoses and tubing, PLI, van insurance, advertising, work wear etc.

I personally didn't start out with gucci kit and made alot of my own kit such as water fed poles to start me off.

This post isn't a dig or mouthing off session. 

We all need to be a little more understanding, realistic and supportive to the new members entering our industry 
We still use CLX27 poles, with the light brushes now they are lighter than the SLX were with the old brushes. 

I can, to a degree, understand newbies saying they're hard to control but they're very good practice incase they have to go above 40' . SLX poles are just as hard to control at that  height.

We still use CLX27 poles, with the light brushes now they are lighter than the SLX were with the old brushes. 

I can, to a degree, understand newbies saying they're hard to control but they're very good practice incase they have to go above 40' . SLX poles are just as hard to control at that  height.
These poles having not used 1 yet. Sound about the same as my fishing pole. I can fish comfortably at 13 mtr but struggle with it at 16 mtrs. Practice practice n even more practuce

These poles having not used 1 yet. Sound about the same as my fishing pole. I can fish comfortably at 13 mtr but struggle with it at 16 mtrs. Practice practice n even more practuce
In my opinion, different to the vast majority on here, is by using a CLX you will firstly learn how to clean windows using a pole that will be harder to use but teach you how to cope with awkward windows. They will  help you build your muscle mass quicker as well.

Now if you'd bought a round that was turning £1k a week I'd tell you to buy an extreme. Your early days are your learning days so learn to use something that is more than adequate, 1000 times better than a fibreglass pole that I learnt with, so that when you get busy you can then get the benefit of a good light rigid pole.

The majority will advise an SLX

In my opinion, different to the vast majority on here, is by using a CLX you will firstly learn how to clean windows using a pole that will be harder to use but teach you how to cope with awkward windows. They will  help you build your muscle mass quicker as well.

Now if you'd bought a round that was turning £1k a week I'd tell you to buy an extreme. Your early days are your learning days so learn to use something that is more than adequate, 1000 times better than a fibreglass pole that I learnt with, so that when you get busy you can then get the benefit of a good light rigid pole.

The majority will advise an SLX
Thanks Part Timer. I have the SLX  22 on my list. 

Thanks Part Timer. I have the SLX  22 on my list. 
Another invaluable tip to avoid a heart attack of loss of work is to NEVER lie your pole down on a customers driveway or lean it against something where it may fall over get pushed over of have a car drive over it.

If you need to stand or lean an extended pole up ensure it it not going to move. 

Not so long ago someone had their day ruined by this lack of common sense 

Another invaluable tip to avoid a heart attack of loss of work is to NEVER lie your pole down on a customers driveway or lean it against something where it may fall over get pushed over of have a car drive over it.

If you need to stand or lean an extended pole up ensure it it not going to move. 

Not so long ago someone had their day ruined by this lack of common sense 
Apw1210 again thanks for the advice m8. Already had 2 heart attacks, stents fitted, definitely dont want another.???

forget hot water. Its more money more associated risks and just a glorified hand warmer 

Back