Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie to the ranks

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks guys I think she's playing ball again now.

Long story short the van and the system has sat for 2 years doing nothing. I connected up the garden hose to fill her up, hit the fill button and let it do it's fill up. I suspect that the RO automatic flush had got itself into a hissy and thought it was still in fill mode and left the valve open?

When you guys fill up your system, is it common to have a constant waste stream of water coming out without any pauses?
Yes when filling constant waist flow ?

Thanks guys I think she's playing ball again now.

Long story short the van and the system has sat for 2 years doing nothing. I connected up the garden hose to fill her up, hit the fill button and let it do it's fill up. I suspect that the RO automatic flush had got itself into a hissy and thought it was still in fill mode and left the valve open?

When you guys fill up your system, is it common to have a constant waste stream of water coming out without any pauses?
If your van has sat for 2 years has your RO dried or become damaged?

I know with large scale military RO drinking water systems They need to be brine flushed regularly when not in use to preserve the membranes

If your van has sat for 2 years has your RO dried or become damaged?

I know with large scale military RO drinking water systems They need to be brine flushed regularly when not in use to preserve the membranes
Luckily she had new filters all-round. I'm now getting a nice TDS reading of 0 on the outlet. Tempted to up the pump pressure from 4bar to 5bar but other than that she's all working brilliantly. Looks hardly used.

Noticed there are two ionic poles in there too. One a grafter and the other a glyder. I can tell the difference in quality when comparing the Gardiner slx but not sure if they are any good for day to day use? Planning on using one of them as a dedicated spray nozzle with the DA applicator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily she had new filters all-round. I'm now getting a nice TDS reading of 0 on the outlet. Tempted to up the pump pressure from 4bar to 5bar but other than that she's all working brilliantly. Looks hardly used.

Noticed there are two ionic poles in there too. One a grafter and the other a glyder. I can tell the difference in quality when comparing the Gardiner slx but not sure if they are any good for day to day use? Planning on using one of them as a dedicated spray nozzle with the DA applicator.
Always good to have a spare in case the worst happens and a section snaps or something, then at least you have something to get you through a day or two even if it ain't the best pole it will still earn you money. 

Still going well on the learning front. I practiced on my Mums property with a full soffit and gutter clean then on to the windows. The amount of **** that came out was crazy but no spotting what so ever! I still need to speed up but hoping that will come in time.

Two things I had come to learn:

a) I need some ladders, tempted to grab the ramsay window cleaning ladders (DWC3.5ML is the code but happy to take other recommendations) . So where the guttering comes down it was at a 45 degree angle and noticed how easy it was to dislodge when scrubbing with the pole and brush. I would need some ladders so that I could get back up there and rejoin the downpipe if it happened at a customer location.

b) Razr wash can turn sills yellow. I applied the Razr wash to the soffit and gutters using the DA applicator then gave her a rinse down whilst scrubbing. I noticed that one of the sills that was fairly deep had two yellow runs on the white sill. I washed it back down again and luckily I watched it turn from yellow, to light yellow then to white. Phew!

So far ive thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a day off Friday so cant wait to visit my brothers house to carry on practicing and test out the uni-valve and new waterproof boots for the winter ?

Bit of a roller-coaster over the past week...

I was super happy to have the van scheduled for sign writing and then incorporate that into the flyer drop and some canvassing. Unfortunately Covid has scuppered some of those plans.

Facebook, google business, instagram, yell (free), Thomson Local and yelp all live too and I am getting some nice engagement there but no calls on my mobile yet for bookings.

I had a referral the other day (mother and daughter) where the daughter has taken me up but the mother (who her last window cleaner disappeared) has gone quiet. I believe I quoted the mother correctly which was a three bedroom house with a conservatory at £17 every 6 weeks with WFP. I clocked 10 windows + front door + rear door + conservatory.

At this moment in time I seem to be spending a fair amount of time on my own family homes to build up marketing images and social media posts. I was super chuffed with two really dirty first cleans, both had vents and I got zero spotting after flushing them out. They looked absolutely spot on when finished.

I need to come up with a new plan now which is reflective of Covid. Trying to not let this thing hold me back as I am chomping at the bit to start working.

Any advice or guidance is always welcome. I just want to knock doors but I cant ? 

Bit of a roller-coaster over the past week...

I was super happy to have the van scheduled for sign writing and then incorporate that into the flyer drop and some canvassing. Unfortunately Covid has scuppered some of those plans.

Facebook, google business, instagram, yell (free), Thomson Local and yelp all live too and I am getting some nice engagement there but no calls on my mobile yet for bookings.

I had a referral the other day (mother and daughter) where the daughter has taken me up but the mother (who her last window cleaner disappeared) has gone quiet. I believe I quoted the mother correctly which was a three bedroom house with a conservatory at £17 every 6 weeks with WFP. I clocked 10 windows + front door + rear door + conservatory.

At this moment in time I seem to be spending a fair amount of time on my own family homes to build up marketing images and social media posts. I was super chuffed with two really dirty first cleans, both had vents and I got zero spotting after flushing them out. They looked absolutely spot on when finished.

I need to come up with a new plan now which is reflective of Covid. Trying to not let this thing hold me back as I am chomping at the bit to start working.

Any advice or guidance is always welcome. I just want to knock doors but I cant ? 
Keep the ball rolling mate, With regards to COVID-19 you have a right to work.

Just keep your distance from the customers take card and bank transfer payments as well as cash and be cautious that Joe public will be trying to stay alive just like yourself 

Keep the ball rolling mate, With regards to COVID-19 you have a right to work.

Just keep your distance from the customers take card and bank transfer payments as well as cash and be cautious that Joe public will be trying to stay alive just like yourself 
Cheers buddy. I think the biggest learning curve so far is to curb my expectations on growth. I was over analysing the single customer that had gone cold since quoting, asking myself did I quote to much, did I present myself correctly but this morning they called and said, crack on and clean our windows. So thats gave me a little boost.

So far I have 2 customers every 6 weeks and a single commercial customer in the town centre every week within about 2 weeks of going live. Not sure if thats good or not? Fingers crossed the van gets sign written in the next two weeks so I can finally do a leaflet drop. I just hate the feeling of not pushing myself out there and wasting time.

Cheers buddy. I think the biggest learning curve so far is to curb my expectations on growth. I was over analysing the single customer that had gone cold since quoting, asking myself did I quote to much, did I present myself correctly but this morning they called and said, crack on and clean our windows. So thats gave me a little boost.

So far I have 2 customers every 6 weeks and a single commercial customer in the town centre every week within about 2 weeks of going live. Not sure if thats good or not? Fingers crossed the van gets sign written in the next two weeks so I can finally do a leaflet drop. I just hate the feeling of not pushing myself out there and wasting time.
My best advice that I stick to is never back down on price as income is a means of survival, Im not someone that walks away from single cleans or the one off customer, grab every pound you can and ensure a strong business to customer communication line.

Keep it the great work.

Have a great day 

Cheers buddy. I think the biggest learning curve so far is to curb my expectations on growth. 
Hi woody, ive just read the whole post. Great post mate. I have nothing really to add exept for your growth in 2 weeks.... 

if you could somehow get out knocking doors you will deffo get more than three customers in two weeks. When i was doing traditional cleaning i was averaging 5-8 sign ups each day and that was with cleaning them on the spot.

i appreciate your covid concerns. Maybe just a leaflet drop? 

Hi woody, ive just read the whole post. Great post mate. I have nothing really to add exept for your growth in 2 weeks.... 

if you could somehow get out knocking doors you will deffo get more than three customers in two weeks. When i was doing traditional cleaning i was averaging 5-8 sign ups each day and that was with cleaning them on the spot.

i appreciate your covid concerns. Maybe just a leaflet drop? 
Thanks for the kind words.

Today was a real high. I cleaned two new customer homes and whilst I was there three people came out and asked for quotes and I managed to book them in. Facebook also gave me a return for which I managed to grab two customers too, all booked in for Saturday. Feels a bit odd how ive had very little return then all of a sudden today I have had 5 new customers. Before I set out I also printed off a load of flyers with a customized box to quote a hand written price before placing through their door so I did a quick drop. Its not the way I want to do it but with Covid I dont see any other way right now.

I cannot stress enough how amazing you guys are, sharing your knowledge and helping newbies like me on this forum. Super chuffed with myself and its given me a much needed boost. Again, thank you guys!

The reason why most window cleaners stop coming @Woody86is because they have priced the job too low, the jobs has wfp issues or the customer is a messer.

I've only come across one old guy who retired and never told anyone. He was no loss to the industry as he did a poor job, but his old customers still expected to be charged the same low price for a window clean he charged.

I would imagine that the first one is the most likely with the customer you quoted. The reason she went quiet was that she expected you to charge a similar price or lower to the cleaner who disappeared.

Whenever a potential customer says the previous Windie stopped coming a warning sign flashes up. Just about every customer who I have taken on from another window cleaner has been a problem customer - payment issues, leave it this time etc. They don't seem to learn that the problem is them.

When you begin you will get lots of enquires from customers who have had a window cleaner before. There was a saying on another forum once called the 3 c's. Canvass, Clean and Cull. 

In the early days we got a few requesting a price for a regular clean. Once the first clean was done they changed their minds. We will call you when we want you to clean again. Cull them immediately. If a customer can't be honest to begin with then they will mess you around every time. This is why you need to charge more for first cleans.

You aren't going to get every job you quote for. If you do your pricing is too low. If you get none your pricing is too high. You should aim for between 40 to 60% of the jobs you quote. 

It's hard to begin with but don't be afraid to ask your customers for referrals - friends and family in the local area who want a reliable window cleaner. Over the years this has been our best growth area. The vast majority are still with us 18  years on.

See each new clean as your advertising board. Neighbours notice. Talk to them if they are about and ask them if they want a window cleaner.

If you are driving down the road and see someone cleaning their own windows, stop and ask them if they need your services, especially if they are elderly and using a step ladder. I got a few new customers this way.

I wish you the best with your new business.

Update 16/11/20:

I am up to about 9 customers now and have picked up two gutter jobs in the same week the Skyvac was delivered. Two commericals customers have also come on-board which has been nice. The petrol station was super easy to do and it was nice to see the customer switch from their old and unreliable traditional window cleaner.

From starting out, Iv been shocked at the standards of window cleaning in my area for those who have WFP. Vents and frames have been minging so ive gave them a good clean and the customers are super happy with the results. Problem I have faced so far is that I am still spending way too much time on each one but hopefully that will change now that they have been cleaned properly. Customers appear to be wanting WFP rather than Trad, ive not come across one going the other way yet.

Overall I am still not happy with picking up 9 customers so far and I have held back knocking doors due to the lockdown. Over the weekend I had noticed another window cleaner pick up a few new customers in a specific area. The guy also shared his pricelist, street name and house numbers on his status update as he was flouting it on social media, so that will give me some insight into local competition.

Whats your thoughts on canvassing during lockdown? I have specifically held off but seeing as this other window cleaner I refer to above has been doing it with success, its made me think about caring less of public opinion and just go for it.

Shoutout to @Don Logan for giving up some time the other night talking through things. Really great insight and tuition, same for the guys who have replied back on my post and helped me understand things in more detail.

Well done. I'd say do your canvassing, just step back when they answer and keep your distance when you look around the job.

Don't worry too much about the speed for now. Nail down the quality and technique. The speed will come.

Personally seeing as youre in lockdown now i would hold off door knocking. Id stick to just leaflet drops until lockdown is over. However this is just an opinion

Update 16/11/20:

I am up to about 9 customers now and have picked up two gutter jobs in the same week the Skyvac was delivered. Two commericals customers have also come on-board which has been nice. The petrol station was super easy to do and it was nice to see the customer switch from their old and unreliable traditional window cleaner.

From starting out, Iv been shocked at the standards of window cleaning in my area for those who have WFP. Vents and frames have been minging so ive gave them a good clean and the customers are super happy with the results. Problem I have faced so far is that I am still spending way too much time on each one but hopefully that will change now that they have been cleaned properly. Customers appear to be wanting WFP rather than Trad, ive not come across one going the other way yet.

Overall I am still not happy with picking up 9 customers so far and I have held back knocking doors due to the lockdown. Over the weekend I had noticed another window cleaner pick up a few new customers in a specific area. The guy also shared his pricelist, street name and house numbers on his status update as he was flouting it on social media, so that will give me some insight into local competition.

Whats your thoughts on canvassing during lockdown? I have specifically held off but seeing as this other window cleaner I refer to above has been doing it with success, its made me think about caring less of public opinion and just go for it.

Shoutout to @Don Logan for giving up some time the other night talking through things. Really great insight and tuition, same for the guys who have replied back on my post and helped me understand things in more detail.
Your more than welcome anytime.

Why not canvass gutter clearing @Woody86. At this time of the year there are a lot of gutters needing emptying, more than there are windows needing cleaning.

Lots of window cleaners won't do gutter work, nor will they clean conservatory roofs.

Latest Posts

Back