Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Paperwork... What else?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Knock sheet to keep track of who i've spoken to when canvassing, who didn't answer, who said yes, no, got a windy already... etc. Just means i know who i've not spoken to and can call on them again.

Roof top disclaimer... well I don't really want to fall through someones roof and get sued for damage!

Thanks for the "windows have been cleaned" suggestion.. although i usually put an invoice in an envelope so kinda the same thing - they know i've been.

Maybe i'm overthinking this too much... I just like to have every angle covered..
this would fall foul of gdpr

That's why we have building regulations, so that roofs are strong enough
So you're happy to climb on a flat garage roof that has been unchecked for 30 years and think that if you fell through it and hurt yourself badly, or wrote the car of underneath, your insurance would cover you? Good luck, god forbid, making that claim. The only chance you would have was if you asked the property owner if it was safe to work on it, then if you had an accident their insurance would cover you.

Isn't this what your Public Liability Insurance covers?

In theory yes however we all know the world of he said, she said...

So on my disclaimer i have a clause that states that the customer is okay for me to use it and that to the best of their knowledge it is safe and they are requesting me to do so. That puts the ball in their court - along with any legal blame should it cave in and they try to sue me!

I'm not interested in sueing anyone myself - I just don't want to be sued! Also on the disclaimer one of my lines states that the customer is acting on behalf of the owner and is authorised to do so if they are not the owner - thus if a landlord ends up involved it's between the customer and landy not me and the landy.

On that basis your disclaimer fails. The only person that can give you permission, legally, to work on the property is the owner. No tenant can give you permission to work. If you fall through a flat roof and, god forbid, end up in a wheelchair, you will be looking to sue someone to support yourself and your family.

If its a tenant sueing them would only be a loss anyway - they're not well off enough to own a property they'll not be able to support me either!

But my point is that they sign to agree that they accept responsibility for it and thus it's between them and the landlord. I'm not asking who owns it, I'm just clarifying the position with them. Besides.. i doubt there are many properties being rented with an extension...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not listening, a tenant can't, legally, give you permission to work on the property.  Yes they can tell you to clean the windows and yes if they don't pay you then the contract is between you and them. Where the law changes is Liability. You won't be able to sue the owner for non payment if the tenant doesn't pay you. If you smash a window or damage a fascia / gutter, it won't be the tenants that chase you, it will be the owner.  

The property owner will have insurance to pay you, if they don't then you will have a claim against there assets.

Part timers correct the first thing you ask where any FLAT roof is concerned is “is the roof sound to walk on?”

if they say yes happy days. Not tiled roofs or slate roofs though

Of course I ask that - what makes you think I don't? lol.

The paperwork is just to confirm that and that they've authorised it in the first place. I'm not going up on any roof for fun.

Windows have been cleaned slip

with payment methods on back 

only posted if customer isn’t around 

If my feet need come off the ground I’ll not be doing any work for that customer 

nothing else needed 

Last edited by a moderator:
Having read about some of you having disclaimers for various things and other bits of paperwork I've been sorting mine out lately.

So far I have my:

quote / invoice / receipt slip

Roof top disclaimer

Knock sheet

Anything else I should consider?
i have 

1.business cards(i always have them on me when working for walk ups)

2.postcard type leaflets

3."windows cleaned today" cards

4.printed CP invoices for commercial and larger domestic jobs

thats it......

Back