Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar Panel Cleaning - Starting Up - Help Needed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Solarnoob

Good afternoon everyone,

I am looking to start solar panel cleaning with my cousin and we are both clueless and could really do with your guidance/experience on the equipment needed. All I have so far is a 25ft waterfed pole.

Currently, i`m looking at acquiring a very basic level kit do-able from my car with no proper filteration system. I have been advised to clean with tap water and then squeegee using my pole until I setup with a van and can use a proper system.

Over the last week I have been trying to get the cheapest/best equipment = in basket so far:

12v 90 PSI pump https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155808768312 (Seller had advised ill need 8mm hose to connect directly onto pump, then use male/female connector to connect to my outgoing hose? I am stuck on this and could do with guidance as to what connectors ill need.
12v Leisure battery SuperBatt
12v WFP controller
4 x Leister batter terminal clamps
Insulated straight butt crip connectors blue
30m Black PVC flexi hose
Extended 10" angle adapter
3 pack of garden water hose pipe tap connector
In-line fuse and 10amp fuse.
X-line 26cm flocked brush.

(Please advise if there is anything you think I should add)

Really appreciated your time, thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you have 2 hopes of getting this up and running no hope and bob hope - bobs just left town !

that pump MAY last you a couple of weeks at best - Shuflo is what you need and for that you need to part with the dosh
I'll be honest you need more than a forum to help you set up and get you all the right equipment - you starting not only from nothing but I don't think you have researched a single thing that you need and more importantly how to do the work

sorry

just trying to save you time and money and a lot of heartache

you have 2 hopes of getting this up and running no hope and bob hope - bobs just left town !

that pump MAY last you a couple of weeks at best - Shuflo is what you need and for that you need to part with the dosh
I'll be honest you need more than a forum to help you set up and get you all the right equipment - you starting not only from nothing but I don't think you have researched a single thing that you need and more importantly how to do the work

sorry

just trying to save you time and money and a lot of heartache
I have a large amount of properties already in need of solar panel cleaning. Dont worry about that. Most window cleaners don`t touch solar from where im from. The ones doing it either never reply or are very expensive.

Originally I had Shurflo in the basket but opted for the cheaper pump as im just starting up. But its proving to be a headache with the connectors, i may just get a Shurflo and use hoselock connectors and bite the bullet.

I have done hours and hours of research, im here for help on equipment, this isn`t my sole provider of income, but thanks for the consideration.

Why not set up as a window cleaner and do solar panels as an add on. I doubt there's enough work out there to give 2 people a living wage.
Thanks for the reply.

Window cleaning is highly saturated in my area, I very well may offer that service in the future, but currently focusing on Solar as I have a contact who is need of thousands of solar panels cleaning on domestic properties. One step at a time.

This isn`t our sole income he works full-time and will help me in the evenings and weekends. I`m currently giving this my full time attention but also run another business.

Sounds like you intend to work off ladders! Seriously, it's not work the risk, all it takes is overreaching, a slip, a soft surface etc for you to fall and seriously hurt yourself.
While you can squeegee off the tap water it's not a good idea as all it take is some grit left on and you will be scratching the panels.
The pump isn't great and won't last long plus they specs are iffy 0.9mPa is 130psi not 90 as the listing states - if they can't get the basics right on the spec how good do you think the pump is?

Surflo 100psi 5.2l per min are 'standard' pumps.

X-line brushes are generally heavy which might be good for cleaning solar panels but without experience, waving that round at 25ft will be iffy, you are liable to damage a panel or yourself.

Maybe you could look at a 'backpack' type system (don't put it on your back), these would hold your water pump it and control the flow - might be worth getting a univalve to save water.
Ideally you need to rinse with pure water - you can buy it at Spotless water - might be easiest at the start?

Don't forget to get liability insurance - both public and for what you are working on!

I know this isn't what you want to hear but hopefully we can help you buy decent kit that will be reliable.

Sounds like you intend to work off ladders! Seriously, it's not work the risk, all it takes is overreaching, a slip, a soft surface etc for you to fall and seriously hurt yourself.
While you can squeegee off the tap water it's not a good idea as all it take is some grit left on and you will be scratching the panels.
The pump isn't great and won't last long plus they specs are iffy 0.9mPa is 130psi not 90 as the listing states - if they can't get the basics right on the spec how good do you think the pump is?

Surflo 100psi 5.2l per min are 'standard' pumps.

X-line brushes are generally heavy which might be good for cleaning solar panels but without experience, waving that round at 25ft will be iffy, you are liable to damage a panel or yourself.

Maybe you could look at a 'backpack' type system (don't put it on your back), these would hold your water pump it and control the flow - might be worth getting a univalve to save water.
Ideally you need to rinse with pure water - you can buy it at Spotless water - might be easiest at the start?

Don't forget to get liability insurance - both public and for what you are working on!

I know this isn't what you want to hear but hopefully we can help you buy decent kit that will be reliable.
Hi Ched,

Thanks for your reply. Im looking to start from a step ladder, anything we cant access with this we wont touch for now until we get better safety equipment, I have looked into gutter grips ect for ladders but will be steering away from this until we have more experience. Ill have around 35ft + the step ladder to work with.

I didnt think of that regarding the squeegee, Im unsure how else to go about not leaving water stains as they can damage the solar too. Buying pre-filtered water is probably the best way around this, how much does this cost from Spotless as im struggling to find a price on there website?

I have decided to get a Shurflo pump, hoselock connectors fit right onto them I have seen which elimates my headache of connectors with the other pump.

This particular xline brush is 229g one of the lightest about, im not a small guy and have used my pole already with a heavier brush at height cleaning the fascia so should be okay with this. The backpack systems I have seen so far are too expensive for my starting setup. (1k+)

Liability insurance of course! A specified one for solar is needed.

Really appreciate your help.

If I’m cleaning from a garden tap, would the pressure of the tap (around 40-50psi) be enough for the water to travel up my pole?

I do the odd solar panel but nowhere near enough to make a living out of it. I’d get yourselves a scaffold tower. 50% of the solars I come across can’t be cleaned from the ground; no matter how long your poles are. I often have to hire a MiTower and I just pass the expense onto the customer. If I was going to do just solar panels (which I wouldn’t because they’re a nightmare) one of the must have pieces of kit would be a decent scaffold tower.

@Solarnoob haven't done solar panels myself but as @ched999uk has said a backpack system might be good to help start. Scaffold towers also look a must to be honest (although no help in your car mate). Have a look at Sid Partridge's youtube videos (partridge exterior cleaning) as be does loads of roofs and solar panel cleaning. He'll know all the tips and tricks. For a brush type thing you could have a look at the tucker alpha scrubber from DA Components. Depending on the pad you attach to it (he does a few different ones) there's probably one for solar panels and you'll get much better scrubbing than a brush possibly.

Hi Ched,

Thanks for your reply. Im looking to start from a step ladder, anything we cant access with this we wont touch for now until we get better safety equipment, I have looked into gutter grips ect for ladders but will be steering away from this until we have more experience. Ill have around 35ft + the step ladder to work with.

I didnt think of that regarding the squeegee, Im unsure how else to go about not leaving water stains as they can damage the solar too. Buying pre-filtered water is probably the best way around this, how much does this cost from Spotless as im struggling to find a price on there website?

I have decided to get a Shurflo pump, hoselock connectors fit right onto them I have seen which elimates my headache of connectors with the other pump.

This particular xline brush is 229g one of the lightest about, im not a small guy and have used my pole already with a heavier brush at height cleaning the fascia so should be okay with this. The backpack systems I have seen so far are too expensive for my starting setup. (1k+)

Liability insurance of course! A specified one for solar is needed.

Really appreciate your help.
They are not is stock currently but look at Gardiners backpack or BigBoy backpacks - neither is actually designed to be used from your back more a portable system to carry 20lts and pump it to your brush.
I think spotless are about 3.5p per litre of pure water plus vat.
Working with a long pole at height isn't as difficult as working more horizontally - once it's on the panels you should be ok it's just manoeuvring it into position that takes a bit of skill.

To be honest I'm not sure if you will be able to get enough work just cleaning solar panels. Have you thought about window cleaning - it's repeat business once you gain customers.
No matter what you do be it solar panel cleaning, fascias, or window cleaning one of the biggest problems is gaining customers. It's not as easy as you might think - leaflets maybe 1% enquire, social media - lots want cheap, google ads can be very expensive, door knocking - need to look and sound professional - uniform, confidence, friendly etc.

Good afternoon everyone,

I am looking to start solar panel cleaning with my cousin and we are both clueless and could really do with your guidance/experience on the equipment needed. All I have so far is a 25ft waterfed pole.

Currently, i`m looking at acquiring a very basic level kit do-able from my car with no proper filteration system. I have been advised to clean with tap water and then squeegee using my pole until I setup with a van and can use a proper system.

Over the last week I have been trying to get the cheapest/best equipment = in basket so far:

12v 90 PSI pump https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155808768312 (Seller had advised ill need 8mm hose to connect directly onto pump, then use male/female connector to connect to my outgoing hose? I am stuck on this and could do with guidance as to what connectors ill need.
12v Leisure battery SuperBatt
12v WFP controller
4 x Leister batter terminal clamps
Insulated straight butt crip connectors blue
30m Black PVC flexi hose
Extended 10" angle adapter
3 pack of garden water hose pipe tap connector
In-line fuse and 10amp fuse.
X-line 26cm flocked brush.

(Please advise if there is anything you think I should add)

Really appreciated your time, thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sorry to be honest... don't bother! Working from a car with basic kit and zero knowledge is a recipe for disaster, risk of electric shock and you'll not get the demand for service
I've done solar farms and houses and it's not easy

You cant use standard tap water !

You need pure water and tons of it

Your car will be overloaded, dangerously unsafe with unsecured loading and probably invalid insurance

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back