Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Struggling with WFS

WCF

Help Support WCF:

first cleans can be a problem but 2,3 cleans will be a lot quicker practice on your own windows
I never understand when people say this, because a clean window is a clean window so if I've cleaned my own windows 10x I ain't going to learn anything else by cleaning them another 10x,I feel on the job doing customer's houses is by far a better way to learn in the early days you can't always see what problems may arise but you do get the lessons you need to adapt and hone your technique.

still learning 15 years later one of those Muc claw brushes, for example, has made getting stubborn dirt trapped between the lower part of the frame and sill so much easier and quicker also when you get dirt trapped in those bigger hinges on patio doors very easy to let the water flow down over the hinge and push the bristles of a Muc Claw brush up from underneath and dirt flows out in a few seconds works on regular jobs that are surrounded by trees that get more build up most of the year round.

I never understand when people say this, because a clean window is a clean window so if I've cleaned my own windows 10x I ain't going to learn anything else by cleaning them another 10x,I feel on the job doing customer's houses is by far a better way to learn in the early days you can't always see what problems may arise but you do get the lessons you need to adapt and hone your technique.

still learning 15 years later one of those Muc claw brushes, for example, has made getting stubborn dirt trapped between the lower part of the frame and sill so much easier and quicker also when you get dirt trapped in those bigger hinges on patio doors very easy to let the water flow down over the hinge and push the bristles of a Muc Claw brush up from underneath and dirt flows out in a few seconds works on regular jobs that are surrounded by trees that get more build up most of the year round.
When I first put a brush to a window I looked like the most unprofessional window cleaner ever.

The reason why I suggest practice, practice, practice is to look like you know what you are doing from the first customer's house you clean. If a new customer sees you are confident and skilled in what you are doing, they feel more confident with you.

First impressions are very important.

When I first put a brush to a window I looked like the most unprofessional window cleaner ever.

The reason why I suggest practice, practice, practice is to look like you know what you are doing from the first customer's house you clean. If a new customer sees you are confident and skilled in what you are doing, they feel more confident with you.

Well said.
I had a customer say to me the other day that I was much quicker and more confident 'waving' the pole about than I was when I first started to clean his windows! That's probably because their house was the first one ever, where I had to fully extend my SLX27 over a conny to reach a window! ?
I had practiced on my bungalow many many many times but we don't have a conny to practice reaching over, only a velux that needs about 25ft pole to reach.
Must admit that I'm surprised I got a lot of my first jobs as I wasn't confident at all :) especially at telling the customer the price on a quote.

To the OP:
I would say practice, practice and practice on your own windows to come up with a procedure to clean. i.e. start at the top and scrub the frame, then down each side, then the opening frames, non opening frames, then the glass, then have a procedure on rinsing. That way you don't stop and think where do I start on each window. Practice standing off to one side of the window and a lot further back, also imagine their are bushes in front of a window and your pole angle is more horizontal.

I think we made the switch all those years ago and welding those fibreglass poles and vikan brushes we would have looked daft and unprofessional anyway more when you are the first window cleaner using them,

most people as in customers ain't got a clue anyway hence the slap-and-dash boys prevail, I watched one yesterday after 10 years he's still happy not looking professional, he was cleaning the front of two 1970's semi's with the little porches which have the gas meter at the front with a little door below the small porch window he cleaned but didn't touch the little door below and when he did the upstairs windows his water from his pencil jets was arking downwards so when he was supposed to be rinsing from the top of glass he was a few inches below when he started rinsing, just before that he was up a ladder rested against a conny just to clean a bedroom window which he could have done off the ground with his 22ft pole ?

So I think even 15 years ago or even today those that do the research and put the effort in will have looked and will look more professional than a great deal of others out there

I think we made the switch all those years ago and welding those fibreglass poles and vikan brushes we would have looked daft and unprofessional anyway more when you are the first window cleaner using them,

most people as in customers ain't got a clue anyway hence the slap-and-dash boys prevail, I watched one yesterday after 10 years he's still happy not looking professional, he was cleaning the front of two 1970's semi's with the little porches which have the gas meter at the front with a little door below the small porch window he cleaned but didn't touch the little door below and when he did the upstairs windows his water from his pencil jets was arking downwards so when he was supposed to be rinsing from the top of glass he was a few inches below when he started rinsing, just before that he was up a ladder rested against a conny just to clean a bedroom window which he could have done off the ground with his 22ft pole ?

So I think even 15 years ago or even today those that do the research and put the effort in will have looked and will look more professional than a great deal of others out there
I guess looking professional was the old school way I was brought up in the working world. Sales training was always to learn your script off by heart and say it with conviction. Every objection was thought about and an answer learnt, so it would just 'roll off our tongue.' Not being prepared was a recipe for failure. I let myself down when I started window cleaning with the pole, as I didn't practice as I am advising newbies to.
Yes, we could blame whippy poles and heavy brushes back then, but a customer doesn't know that. All they saw was that moment in time where I must have looked like a circus clown.

Today, though, we can't excuse ourselves by blaming our tools.

I've also seen some windies who haven't toned their technique either, even though they have been using the pole for years. I feel embarrassed just watching them.

I've also seen some windies who haven't toned their technique either, even though they have been using the pole for years. I feel embarrassed just watching them.
I just sit in the van with my popcorn
giphy.gif
:ROFLMAO: and think to myself why oh why don't do some research and do a decent job.

I just sit in the van with my popcorn
giphy.gif
:ROFLMAO: and think to myself why oh why don't do some research and do a decent job.
The trouble is that no matter what you do, they are there as well.
The neighbours are turning their bungalows loft space into a 3rd bedroom and ensuite.
The one clown was mixing concrete in a large plastic tub in the road and couldn't figure out that he needed to move it so I could get my van out.
He has now stacked it on the wheelie bin so the owners can't open it to throw their rubbish away. They have also stacked some doors and ceiling board in front of the dust bin so it can't be taken outside on bin day.

The trouble is that no matter what you do, they are there as well.
The neighbours are turning their bungalows loft space into a 3rd bedroom and ensuite.
The one clown was mixing concrete in a large plastic tub in the road and couldn't figure out that he needed to move it so I could get my van out.
He has now stacked it on the wheelie bin so the owners can't open it to throw their rubbish away. They have also stacked some doors and ceiling board in front of the dust bin so it can't be taken outside on bin day.
No doubt they went with them because they came in at the cheapest price because what you describe is what you get when you pay low prices idiots who don't how to carry out a task properly and have consideration for people's property and their neighbours

For someone just starting they will struggle to get the brush on the window let alone clean it in a methodical way, that’s why it’s best to practice on your own first , once they can cover the whole window and frame and sill then they will have more control over the pole and brush .

You're not doing anything wrong. Exactly same happened to me. Going from Trad to WFP was nerve wracking walking away from the windows with them still wet. I was a nervous wreck for at least 6 months. Once you've done your round a good few times WFP you'll soon realize the problem windows etc when you next come to clean them. Give each window a look for spot and runs...if there are...hope your customer hasn't noticed and just give them another clean and a good rinse. These concerns soon go away once your confidence builds up.

Well guys, I started this conversation over my frustration of not getting the results from my WF, I've read your suggestions and I'm glad to say that I'm much happier with the finish I'm getting now. Thanks for all your advice and help, Brian ?
If you became an expert from the first window you cleaned, everyone would be doing it. I shudder to think how many newbies I've spoken to who I haven't seen again after a few months. Being a window cleaner isn't easy, but at least you have an established round where you know your customers, and they know you.

There is going to be the odd customer who moans about you changing your cleaning method. Have a firm answer and stick to your resolve. You aren't as young as you were 43 years ago, and you want to keep living as long as possible, hence why you are changing over to wfp. No compromises.

Well guys, I started this conversation over my frustration of not getting the results from my WF, I've read your suggestions and I'm glad to say that I'm much happier with the finish I'm getting now. Thanks for all your advice and help, Brian ?
That's fantastic! Anything in particular you think made the biggest different mate?

Keep at it and before long you’ll be wondering what you worrying about. Just realise that sometimes you might make mistakes but we’re all human ! Don’t be too sore on yourself .

Hi guys, been window cleaning for 43 years, traditional. But decided nows the time to have a go at water fed. I've built my own system and it works really well. Water is at zero, I have a slx 22 gardiner pole with light head and medium brush, and a little bit of pure Sparkle in it but I'm not getting the finish. I'm taking my time, rinsing well but I'm getting runs and spotting. I don't have confidence in the job and I'm having to check and reclean a lot. What am I doing wrong?
Well if it wasn't for health and safety although not implicated wanting ladders banned I preferred scrim old school I know thares plenty of poles going about from asking about its from people whose frightened to fall I find it ridiculous that using normal sweetie you get drips hence cloth to wipe round sides not sure if your describing a new invention have done windows 40 foot high poles are useless and basically am I position now whare have had wimen pointing to bit scarm I say have got polisher the went back and said get another window cleaner has for you your doin nothing wrong just poles are ridiculous?

Latest Posts

Back