Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Superstitious??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PT do you turn your wheels into the kerb when you park on an apparently totally straight, flat stretch of road??
Unfortunately I'm old enough to have driven  vehicles when handbrakes were of indifferent quality. I now drive a vehicle where I don't need to worry. If I was worried about my handbrake then I would either use the kerb or the gearbox. This would depend on the hill

Exactly the way I was taught, 20 years ago, and still do it every time ??
You must have been taught by family or a friend. No one with an official training qualification would teach you that

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah it's easy to be wise after the event ?

Iron a 'safe' gear is neutral - that's kinda the point of it...

If you have ever started the car when in gear, it lurches forward - too close to something and that approach risks sooner or later causing a dink (for most people I would suspect) especially if it's 'always' left in gear.

Nope safe gear is classed as first or reverse, so if the handbrake cable did snap or wasn't applied enough then van ain't going nowhere as the van been in gear will hold the van,

perfect example we went on an off road driving course years ago, before we went up  a muddy steep hill the instructor told us what he was going to and went through what we would need to do once we were driving, he drove up the hill fast then switched the engine, quickly put the truck into reverse and lifted his feet off the pedals, it didn't budge at all and held perfectly 

Unfortunately I'm old enough to have driven  vehicles when handbrakes were of indifferent quality. I now drive a vehicle where I don't need to worry. If I was worried about my handbrake then I would either use the kerb or the gearbox. This would depend on the hill

You must have been taught by family or a friend. No one with an official training qualification would teach you that
The first bloke from BSM taught me it and then, when I thought they were too expensive, a different driving school said exactly the same in the first lesson.

You must have been taught different 100 years back lol

I won't put my trust in a cable. Especially when I carry around a ton of equipment and water. 43 years of driving all sorts of vehicles, from light to heavy. I use the same technique whatever I'm driving. I've seen so many incidents on the news of parking breaks failing or not being applied. My dad had a Ford Corsair roll back off a ramp while he was under it in the 70s. He was lucky that a neighbour spotted the situation just as he was about to pass out as he couldn't breath, and managed to somehow to push the car back onto the ramp just enough for him to squeeze his way out. He hadn't secured the car properly.

Came close to forgetting to apply myself on a few occasions over the years. So it's the belt and braces approach for me. I do also turn the wheels towards the kerb if there's any degree of slope.

If you have ever started the car when in gear, it lurches forward - too close to something and that approach risks sooner or later causing a dink (for most people I would suspect) especially if it's 'always' left in gear.

PT do you turn your wheels into the kerb when you park on an apparently totally straight, flat stretch of road??

If I park on an obvious hill/slope I normally do both, in gear/wheels to kerb - but on the fateful day it was apparently a straight flat road, no perceptible decline. 
Nuetral is only safe if the brake is applied properly and the system is in good order. The vehicle won't lurch if you always press the clutch before starting. In fact thinking of it : I always press and hold both clutch and footbrake when starting.

Nuetral is only safe if the brake is applied properly and the system is in good order. The vehicle won't lurch if you always press the clutch before starting. In fact thinking of it : I always press and hold both clutch and footbrake when starting.
Agree, I got my explanation wrong before, we went up the hill in 1st gear, the instructor turned the engine off via the ignition as in a Landy defender the ignition is on the left-hand side, both feet off the pedals and the motor holds,

then do a controlled decent back down the hill in reverse, handbrake applied dip the clutch put into reverse, start then engine then take handbrake off, ease up off the clutch the vehicle for a few second's at most it will feel like you are going to go flying down the hill but within seconds the engine takes over and nice slow decent down the hill, that off-road course taught me more in one day that has stuck with me more than any other driving lesson ever did 

I have always parked in gear and turned into the curb as I live in a very hilly area.

a while ago there was a lot of emergency service action one Sunday afternoon at the top of my village we thought it may have been a motor cross bike accident as there are occasional races on the mountain.

The most horrific news then unfolded of the death of an infant girl see article https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/07/pearl-black-toddler-dies-car-rolls-down-hill-merthyr-tydfil

a car rolled off the drive and well, see the article.

ive been very aware of potential danger since  i carry a heavy load and am in my mind more cautious I even now use wheel chocks like in the photo when on hills even if it’s only for a short stop. I have forgotten and left them on the road before but always buy another as it gives me confidence and peace of mind.

i couldn’t live with myself if I was responsible for a tragedy like that.

BB3285C4-6077-4318-B4B8-D86E6F5A8BE7.png

@BigFoot. Those chocks are a good idea. Where do you get them from? 

A lot of modern cars don’t let you start the engine unless the clutch is depressed, so it doesn’t matter if you have forgotten you left it in gear. At the end of the day, a ‘jump’ forward and hitting someone’s bumper is incomparably better than having a runaway vehicle, as Bigfoot’s post shows. 

Scottish that reminds me of a similar incident -

I pull up outside a Property Mgmt co to drop off an invoice, nip in say hi, quick chat, then leave, get outside - Van's been nicked - it's nowhere to be seen!

Then out of the corner of my eye I see 'activity' 50m down the street, some blokes waving at me...'ello what's my van doing down there - great he's obviously nabbed the thief...I run down to him to realise it's rolled (handbrake  was off - doh!) down the road (really slight fall in road), crossed over to opposite side of road, came to 'rest' against a bollard on the pavement  - it had just dinked the side bar (aka 'steps') on the side - missed all cars inc parked & pedestrians! Phew close call! Could have been a very different day!
 Yeh the roads can be strange sometimes. Theres this road in Epping forest, looks straight or even going up hill, so that you park up, go in neutral and the car seems to roll up hill! its famous, lot of locals all know about it.

If I park on an obvious hill/slope I normally do both, in gear/wheels to kerb - but on the fateful day it was apparently a straight flat road, no perceptible decline. 
Always start a vehicle with foot on the clutch.. never forget it's in gear then.

The reason for turning wheel into the kerb is in case someone shunts you your vehicle doesn't shoot out into the road.

That is the main point of it.

Yeh the roads can be strange sometimes. Theres this road in Epping forest, looks straight or even going up hill, so that you park up, go in neutral and the car seems to roll up hill! its famous, lot of locals all know about it.
I think I've seen that road on telly. ?

@BigFoot. Those chocks are a good idea. Where do you get them from? 

A lot of modern cars don’t let you start the engine unless the clutch is depressed, so it doesn’t matter if you have forgotten you left it in gear. At the end of the day, a ‘jump’ forward and hitting someone’s bumper is incomparably better than having a runaway vehicle, as Bigfoot’s post shows. 
My wife's car, which is automatic won't start unless the lever is in park position and the brake pedal is held down. No clutch pedal of course.

Come on guys this isn't a driving school instructors forum...?

According to to the Highway Code a driver if parking up hill should leave the vehicle in first gear ,if facing Down hill 

Agreed Pjj (as I posted that observation is irrelvant

Take a look and let me know if this looks like it's up or downhill??? I parked where the red car is.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7599745,-1.5387962,3a,75y,353.8h,78.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shM3zAUeZPUF90VRTkj1c6g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 

image.png

If parked on the level again wheels should be in towards the kerb and vehicle in either first or reverse gear
As per the highway code you refer to, this advice is only found in the parking on a hill scenarios (section 252) and doesn't appear in the general parking section (259) and as is obvious from above - this is not a hill!

Come on guys this isn't a driving school instructors forum...?

Agreed Pjj (as I posted that observation is irrelvant

Take a look and let me know if this looks like it's up or downhill??? I parked where the red car is.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7599745,-1.5387962,3a,75y,353.8h,78.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shM3zAUeZPUF90VRTkj1c6g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 

View attachment 19213

As per the highway code you refer to, this advice is only found in the parking on a hill scenarios (section 252) and doesn't appear in the general parking section (259) and as is obvious from above - this is not a hill!
Perhaps some of us are working with a higher level of motoring experience than the basic highway code guidelines.

In my case: Full car licence since early 1970s, full motorcycle licence since 1996, Institute of Advanced Motoring pass Certificate (the highway code is a basic level of guidance) and full HGV licence, also from about 1996.

It doesn’t need to be a steep slope for a vehicle to roll. Parked vehicles have been hit and shunted on flat ground. Master J A made a very good point earlier in this conversation.

I'd like to think most of us  have an idea what we're doing.?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've seen that road on telly. ?
 spooky old place at night, all our family are eastenders but they get well nervy away from the bright orange street lights ? different for me, was adopted out and taken to southend first and then proper countryside in deepest suffolk. I got to know theres nothing out there in the sticks and the dark to harm you, the citys where the danger is, but dont half make me laugh when my cousins used to come over and be petrified of a rabbit running through a field ?

spooky old place at night, all our family are eastenders but they get well nervy away from the bright orange street lights ? different for me, was adopted out and taken to southend first and then proper countryside in deepest suffolk. I got to know theres nothing out there in the sticks and the dark to harm you, the citys where the danger is, but dont half make me laugh when my cousins used to come over and be petrified of a rabbit running through a field ?
I was in the West of Ireland years ago, when some teenage female cousins visited from Buffalo, New York. They were afraid to walk off the road into a field. I kid you not!?

I was in the West of Ireland years ago, when some teenage female cousins visited from Buffalo, New York. They were afraid to walk off the road into a field. I kid you not!?
Lol, was it Ali G 'What the f*** is that man?' it was a cow ?. I cant talk though, when we first lived in the sticks i was the same.

Latest Posts

Back