Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Up & over or not??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Potta81

Hi guys, I was just wondering what u all did when changing from trad to wfp. I know if there’s gates u can text the customer asking to leave it unlocked the next day but what about garages? Obviously with trad I’m sure everyone has been up the ladder over garages etc if it’s the only access to the back. Do u still do the same with wfp?? I spoke to a wfp windy yesterday who says he does climb over, but it seems like even more effort than trad climbing over garages with your pole then lumping the ladder over then back again. What do u all do??

I use a trolley system and I can access a lot more work than those guys who have the tank in the van, I believe.  When I price a job up my first question  to myself is, how do I get my trolley around the back.  If I can't, I don't take them on.  Its not worth doing an obstacle course with ladders, leave that for bucket bob with no insurance in Summer when he needs his beer tokens and fags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a trolley system and I can access a lot more work than those guys who have the tank in the van, I believe.  When I price a job up my first question  to myself is, how do I get my trolley around the back.  If I can't, I don't take them on.  Its not worth doing an obstacle course with ladders, leave that for bucket bob with no insurance in Summer when he needs his beer tokens and fags.
I’m still a bucket Bob lol, I’m going wfp in spring/summer tho. I asked the question as I do have quite a few houses where I go up & over with the ladder. I wouldn’t want to drop them but I don’t fancy doing the backs every 6 months whenever they’re in to let me through.

Any of mine that I go through the garage either leave them unlocked, leave them unlocked with a key and I lock and post the key back or have to be in for me to do them. Won’t go up and over any more, won’t even go over gates...

All mine either got dropped over a period of time or thankfully they sold their houses and moved but I only had a few like this on the same street as to which there was no access apart from up and over, so it wasn't to bad.

I have a few customers like this, I'm  lucky in respect that they are either older and ensure someone is in to allow access, or they work from home and are always there. I always send a text the evening prior to me coming and so far not had any issues.  It maybe worth speaking to these customers sooner rather than later and trying to find a solution for access, I.e code, key, or someone will be in to allow access. Although you may not change over for a few months, once they know you will changing to WFP there is plenty of time to work out a suitable way for both you and the customer to sort out access. I personally would not entertain climbing over the garage, for me one of the main advantages of WFP is that of safety and removing the need for ladders unless absolutely necessary.

I have a few customers like this, I'm  lucky in respect that they are either older and ensure someone is in to allow access, or they work from home and are always there. I always send a text the evening prior to me coming and so far not had any issues.  It maybe worth speaking to these customers sooner rather than later and trying to find a solution for access, I.e code, key, or someone will be in to allow access. Although you may not change over for a few months, once they know you will changing to WFP there is plenty of time to work out a suitable way for both you and the customer to sort out access. I personally would not entertain climbing over the garage, for me one of the main advantages of WFP is that of safety and removing the need for ladders unless absolutely necessary.
I have thought about this but I’m dreading the reaction of telling them I’m changing over, lol. Tbh I wasn’t going to tell any of them, just rock up with my new method of cleaning. I figure if it’s clean they shouldn’t have anything to moan about (although I know life isn’t this simple)

Ladder over it trad other side if safe to do so
I’ve thought about this also but I’m thinking if one of the other customers see me tradding the neighbours they’ll no doubt ask why & Want me tradding there’s as well. Another hassle to contend with. 

I have thought about this but I’m dreading the reaction of telling them I’m changing over, lol. Tbh I wasn’t going to tell any of them, just rock up with my new method of cleaning. I figure if it’s clean they shouldn’t have anything to moan about (although I know life isn’t this simple)
I can't comment on the changing over process as I have only ever cleaned with WFP. However, I have customers who was very sceptical about WFP having only had their windows cleaned via trad. I explained the process and assured them that should they have any issues contact me within 24hrs and I will rectify any issues, I've not had a call or text yet. 

When I was trad I would climb over now we don’t I won’t take on work where there is no access if it’s a locked gate if they won’t give us a key or the code we won’t take the job on , I specifically mention this when Quoting any hesitation I won’t take the job on , I might be lucky where I am as I can pick and choose what jobs s I will or won’t do , but I cannot be bothered tk get ladders out and climb over roofs if any leaks appear who are they going to blame ? If the roof is rotten and you fall through it and get injured who will pay your wages and bills ? If you employ and expect staff to climb over a roof and an accident happens it opens up a whole can of worms . I find it far easier not to do this type of work .

on Victorian terraces we do a fronts only service , most are ok with that and it’s well paid work . 

I’ve thought about this also but I’m thinking if one of the other customers see me tradding the neighbours they’ll no doubt ask why & Want me tradding there’s as well. Another hassle to contend with. 
No one has ever asked me but its simply explained as due to access issues. We are the big chiefs no them. 

Folk are funny.  Some want trad, some hate you leaving their windows wet with WFP, some don't care, time will tell for you.  I get enquiries that ask are you trad or not.  I think WFP has been around long enough now that those who want window cleaners know the difference and what their preference is. 

When I was trad I would climb over now we don’t I won’t take on work where there is no access if it’s a locked gate if they won’t give us a key or the code we won’t take the job on , I specifically mention this when Quoting any hesitation I won’t take the job on , I might be lucky where I am as I can pick and choose what jobs s I will or won’t do , but I cannot be bothered tk get ladders out and climb over roofs if any leaks appear who are they going to blame ? If the roof is rotten and you fall through it and get injured who will pay your wages and bills ? If you employ and expect staff to climb over a roof and an accident happens it opens up a whole can of worms . I find it far easier not to do this type of work .

on Victorian terraces we do a fronts only service , most are ok with that and it’s well paid work . 
Atm it’s me & somebody else working together but when I change over I’m going it alone & I’ll have too much work for just myself anyway so I’ll be able to pick & choose in the main myself. But I do have some good priced houses I’d like to keep where this problem occurs for me. But I will definitely not be taking work on where access involves ladders when I do make the change unless they’re happy with just the fronts being done.

There are some properties which are great for WFP and some ideal for trad.  If you are going with WFP build your customer base around the service you can provide.  If your dumping the spider man routine with ladders ready to rock up and climb over everything.  Start canvassing for customers who have a profile that allows easy access without ladders?

There are some properties which are great for WFP and some ideal for trad.  If you are going with WFP build your customer base around the service you can provide.  If your dumping the spider man routine with ladders ready to rock up and climb over everything.  Start canvassing for customers who have a profile that allows easy access without ladders?
 I’ll have enough work to dump or even try & sell on tbh. I’m going wfp alone so I’ll have way too much work anyway. The amount of work I have won’t be a problem at all. Unless they all hate wfp & start dumping me lol 

I ladder over garage roofs if the need is there, generally a text the night before opens the doors (forgive the pun) to let me in but you'll always have one who forgets to open the date, lose the key or simply forgot the key code.

i know some people won't do garage roofs or high gates etc but I think it's each to there own, personally I don't like leaving a job half done so I'll grab the ladders.  

I ladder over garage roofs if the need is there, generally a text the night before opens the doors (forgive the pun) to let me in but you'll always have one who forgets to open the date, lose the key or simply forgot the key code.

i know some people won't do garage roofs or high gates etc but I think it's each to there own, personally I don't like leaving a job half done so I'll grab the ladders.  
Yea I know what your saying. Just seems to defeat the object of going wfp tho. More thinking is needed. Stressful this change over lark & I haven’t even brought anything for the change to wfp yet lol

Yea I know what your saying. Just seems to defeat the object of going wfp tho. More thinking is needed. Stressful this change over lark & I haven’t even brought anything for the change to wfp yet lol
Bare in mind @Potta81this only applies to 3/4 properties per month at best, the rest have decent access. On a personal level I don't mind whipping them out the van, they are lightweight and compact so I'm up and over in seconds.

some WFP guys won't touch someone with poor access but it's totally down to preference and if you want the cash and hassle, if it's yes to both then get climbing ?   

The thread is about going over a garage, so a trolley would have no gains over a van mount.

I’ve been in this game for many years and don’t agree a trolley can access ‘a lot more’ than a van mount ?

Back