Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Up & over or not??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bare in mind @Potta81this only applies to 3/4 properties per month at best, the rest have decent access. On a personal level I don't mind whipping them out the van, they are lightweight and compact so I'm up and over in seconds.

some WFP guys won't touch someone with poor access but it's totally down to preference and if you want the cash and hassle, if it's yes to both then get climbing ?   
I’ve had 19 years of climbing, done my share ?. Nah I know what u mean tho ??

The thread is about going over a garage, so a trolley would have no gains over a van mount.

I’ve been in this game for many years and don’t agree a trolley can access ‘a lot more’ than a van mount ?
Steve I think a lot of folk dont get used to van systems or only know trolley systems hence why they think this way. Right enough, once you master whipping that van mount hose around its rapid ain't it

When you go wfp, you will quickly start to see the advantages and disadvantages compared to trad.

Re: climbing over garages, my personal opinion is, you will drop any customer who is not prepared to leave their garage unlocked on the day, or leave out a key. Assuming it has a rear door.

Good luck with the transition.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go wfp, you will quickly start to see the advantages and disadvantages compared to trad.

Re: climbing over garages, my personal opinion is, you will drop any customer who is not prepared to leave their garage unlocked on the day, or leave out a key. Assuming it has a rear door.

Good luck with the transition.
Cheers fella 

i still clean lots of properties on estate work that i used to go up and over the garages(17 years trad only)......now im wfp i just clean fronts only or they open the garage for me to go through to access the backs...no problem.....i basically said i dont climb over garages anymore and most were fine about it apart from 3 customers who i passed onto another trad cleaner(who has actually gone wfp now!)?.......

i always hated going over garages when trad.....you dont need to with wfp....fronts only is better too i find as i can breeze through these jobs real quick as i have a lot close together....only the odd one or 2 are in to let me through the garages!?

I have a few on two different days one cul de sac 20 house We clean 14 of them and two are up and overs there used to be three but one as recently moved. 

Same in another cu de sac couple up and overs do most of the the neighbours both the are very compact work.

single odd house I have phased out and will not take anymore on it one of the first things I ask when I get a call or message. 

On jobs like that Ill wfp the front and sides whilst my helper will climb over and trad the back so long as it’s safe to do so. There’s no point in taking two lots of equipment over a roof to do the same job. 

I used to do a fair bit of climbing over gates, on porch and garage roofs, pulling ladders over and the like and got away with it for twenty four years before I had a fall and badly broke an ankle. I had to have two lots of major surgery as a result, which cost me in all two years off work.

I had plenty of time to think about it whilst convalescing and concluded that I'm only cleaning windows. Some of those windows I climbed on roofs for only earned me a £ or 2. When I went back to work the last time I determined I was never going to do anything to clean a window that put me at risk again especially for the odd £ or 2, and If a customer doesn't like it, why should I worry. 

I do my best to work with my customers. I phone or text ahead if necessary and some have trusted me with keys. However, if I can't get in easily they simply don't get done. I can earn enough without risking my neck.

The thread is about going over a garage, so a trolley would have no gains over a van mount.

I’ve been in this game for many years and don’t agree a trolley can access ‘a lot more’ than a van mount ?
Fair play.  I am new to this game, I was just imagining some of the houses I have and how parking would be hard for a van to get close but the trolley lets me gain access with the van further down the road, like in the city centres.  I can imagine in most cases the van mounted system would be better.

I use a trolley system and I can access a lot more work than those guys who have the tank in the van, I believe.  When I price a job up my first question  to myself is, how do I get my trolley around the back.  If I can't, I don't take them on.  Its not worth doing an obstacle course with ladders, leave that for bucket bob with no insurance in Summer when he needs his beer tokens and fags.
When I started Trad I had a few up and over garage jobs, but knocked them on the head as soon as got more work. Too much hassle for me, and now I do upstairs with wfp from trolley back pack and as Dino consider access issues when quoting. 

I used to do a fair bit of climbing over gates, on porch and garage roofs, pulling ladders over and the like and got away with it for twenty four years before I had a fall and badly broke an ankle. I had to have two lots of major surgery as a result, which cost me in all two years off work.

I had plenty of time to think about it whilst convalescing and concluded that I'm only cleaning windows. Some of those windows I climbed on roofs for only earned me a £ or 2. When I went back to work the last time I determined I was never going to do anything to clean a window that put me at risk again especially for the odd £ or 2, and If a customer doesn't like it, why should I worry. 

I do my best to work with my customers. I phone or text ahead if necessary and some have trusted me with keys. However, if I can't get in easily they simply don't get done. I can earn enough without risking my neck.
Ouch, that sounded painful. I had a fall around seven years ago that left me out of commission for a good number of months and badly fractured my heel bone. The doctor said I was lucky not to smash it to bits as they usually shatter on heavy impact. It hasn’t stopped me using ladders but made me more aware of the dangers and risks involved. We only use ladders now when it’s safe to do so and use them more for access than for working from.  It was my own fault for rushing and getting majorly complacent and I always say, ladders are only as safe as the person using them. 

Fair play.  I am new to this game, I was just imagining some of the houses I have and how parking would be hard for a van to get close but the trolley lets me gain access with the van further down the road, like in the city centres.  I can imagine in most cases the van mounted system would be better.
Trolley and backpack as it’s place but I’m with @stevegarwood  on this press button on controller pull out hose do the job then press button to rectract the hose. 

Ouch, that sounded painful. I had a fall around seven years ago that left me out of commission for a good number of months and badly fractured my heel bone. The doctor said I was lucky not to smash it to bits as they usually shatter on heavy impact. It hasn’t stopped me using ladders but made me more aware of the dangers and risks involved. We only use ladders now when it’s safe to do so and use them more for access than for working from.  It was my own fault for rushing and getting majorly complacent and I always say, ladders are only as safe as the person using them. 
i too have fell off my ladders (twice!).both times the ladder slid down the wall from 1st floor height and i landed on my heels....both times i was fine...no broken bones,no fractures,nothing apart from a slightly sore back on the second fall...im fairly heavy too!i must of been at least 15 stone at the time......?...im a lucky boy.....

Back