Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Martin C

Ok.. just been given a quote for van insurance without a tank included, how much is it likely to rise when declaring a tank fitted, is it going to be a big jump in price?

Ok.. just been given a quote for van insurance without a tank included, how much is it likely to rise when declaring a tank fitted, is it going to be a big jump in price?
It shouldn't jump at all, I am with Admiral I phoned them up and explained everything and that it's a professionally fitted system with no issues at all other insurance companies were wanting £100's more than admiral I pay £300 for the year, but I have been driving over 20 years and have had no claims in the last 5 years

Just got a quote from them, £638 ? driving for 20 + years, 10 years NCD, seems a bit steep on my part
The value of your van and where you live and your mileage will also be factored in, my van is 8 years old and I only do 3000 miles a year also we live in a ok area and my van is parked on our drive

The value of your van and where you live and your mileage will also be factored in, my van is 8 years old and I only do 3000 miles a year also we live in a ok area and my van is parked on our drive
Yea, I’m either finding I can’t get cover for a tank fitted or the price is sky high… with tank declared, i can get cover without a tank for £289, seems with the tank it virtually doubles

I think it pays to shop around as much as possible, I'm 25 years old and have been driving since I was 17, 3+ years NCD but on a car which is apparently non transferable.

I'm with A-Plan and currently pay £202 per month for my van insurance, which I was originally told was so sky high due to my tank at the time (850L) and there was only one insurer who were willing to insure me. Since then I've downsized to a 650L tank and they've told me there's no change in my premium which is a bit of a joke and I think I'll be looking elsewhere when my new van arrives in the next few weeks

I think it pays to shop around as much as possible, I'm 25 years old and have been driving since I was 17, 3+ years NCD but on a car which is apparently non transferable.

I'm with A-Plan and currently pay £202 per month for my van insurance, which I was originally told was so sky high due to my tank at the time (850L) and there was only one insurer who were willing to insure me. Since then I've downsized to a 650L tank and they've told me there's no change in my premium which is a bit of a joke and I think I'll be looking elsewhere when my new van arrives in the next few weeks
I was under the impression that you can't use the same no claims discount on 2 vehicles at the same time but if you have proof they you have earned 3 years ncd and are not using it on another vehicle I believe you can use it on a van. It's a dodgy system that the insurance companies created and as such each company can make their own rules.

In my opinion if you are the driver that has earned the ncd why can't you use it on all vehicles you insure? - because the insurance companies made the rules to benefit themselves!

I believe that ncd only discounts the driver part of the premium, so doesn't make any difference to the premium part that's due to your area, parking location or vehicle type.

£2500 for someone at 25 I am shocked! I am sure with the smaller tank you will be able to get that down in a big way. I would start looking for insurance quotes now as some insurance companies actually give you a discount if you get quotes early as they think you are more organised and therefore more sensible!!! I think Martin Lewis used to say between 21 and 28 days before the policy is due gets you the best prices! Some of the comparison sites actually have a box to put in that you have a tank etc. Might be worth a try sooner rather than later.

a plan used to be good well, at least they were for me but, i bought a newer van a few years ago and the premium went from lets say £400 (i can't remember the exact figure) to nearly a grand, i questioned this and they said its a newer van, and a bigger engine i replied saying the engine is 150cc's more than my old one and its age shouldn't really come into this as the difference in value between my new and older van was £3500 i had a quote from carol nash and it was £350 fully comp.
i did ring carol nash to check that this was correct and yes the tank is included, so it does pay to shop around and, avoid a plan although i admit that the true worth of an insurance company is how they deal with a claim should you have one but,in my case a £600 saving per year is a saving worth doing.

Yea, I’m either finding I can’t get cover for a tank fitted or the price is sky high… with tank declared, i can get cover without a tank for £289, seems with the tank it virtually doubles
Try Alexander swan all our vans are insured with them all vans have fitted tanks declared including 1,000 ltr one prices aren’t the cheapest but a lot less than what you have been quoted,

I don’t see why a larger tank should affect the premium price ,provided it’s not over the vehicles payload , I shopped around when I got my 1,000 ltr system but didn’t have any issues getting cover it is a professionally fitted system and all they wanted was the companies details that fitted it .

a plan used to be good well, at least they were for me but, i bought a newer van a few years ago and the premium went from lets say £400 (i can't remember the exact figure) to nearly a grand, i questioned this and they said its a newer van, and a bigger engine i replied saying the engine is 150cc's more than my old one and its age shouldn't really come into this as the difference in value between my new and older van was £3500 i had a quote from carol nash and it was £350 fully comp.
i did ring carol nash to check that this was correct and yes the tank is included, so it does pay to shop around and, avoid a plan although i admit that the true worth of an insurance company is how they deal with a claim should you have one but,in my case a £600 saving per year is a saving worth doing.

Proof is in the pudding for me I think, as I said the reason they gave me for such a high premium was because I had a large tank, I essentially called their bluff (unintentionally as I was in the market for a new system anyway) for them to tell me it wouldn't lower my premium, go figure. I don't have much faith in them as a company now as they're just after grabbing as much money as possible, you can guarantee if I'd have gone from a smaller tank to a larger one there would've been a change in premium in their favour.

I don’t see why a larger tank should affect the premium price ,provided it’s not over the vehicles payload , I shopped around when I got my 1,000 ltr system but didn’t have any issues getting cover it is a professionally fitted system and all they wanted was the companies details that fitted it .
Did you go with aplan? My original system was a Grippa 850, the new system is a 650 pure freedom so both professionally fitted and crash tested etc.

Did you go with aplan? My original system was a Grippa 850, the new system is a 650 pure freedom so both professionally fitted and crash tested etc.
No I was originally with ageas but been with Alexander swan for years not the cheapest but service is very good and on my systems and poles it’s on a new for old policy at current prices

Last edited:
They wanted £850 out of me :ROFLMAO:
That’s a lot , i pay around £1,500 for 3 vans and that’s with new for old on all systems and poles , and I had quite a big claim which didn’t affect the price which I was very surprised about , but I know some seam to get very good deals from them and others seam extortionate .

Back