Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That’s a lot , i pay around £1,500 for 3 vans and that’s with new for old on all systems and poles , and I had quite a big claim which didn’t affect the price which I was very surprised about , but I know some seam to get very good deals from them and others seam extortionate .
No idea why it was £550 dearer than Admiral, granted my policy doesn't get me a fully kitted out courtesy van but for me, the extra £550 wouldn't get me to go with them.

No idea why it was £550 dearer than Admiral, granted my policy doesn't get me a fully kitted out courtesy van but for me, the extra £550 wouldn't get me to go with them.
To get the courtesy van that’s a separate premium about £75 a year , I do have it as I think it’s excellent value fir money and had a van off them a couple of times .

Ok.. just been given a quote for van insurance without a tank included, how much is it likely to rise when declaring a tank fitted, is it going to be a big jump in price?
Sorry I know I'm a few months late , but I am on a back pack system thinking of getting a tank for my van, just wondering why insurance needs to be told? as my van payload is near 1000kg and it does not stipulate what I can and cannot put in my van.
Thanks in advance, just confused

Sorry I know I'm a few months late , but I am on a back pack system thinking of getting a tank for my van, just wondering why insurance needs to be told? as my van payload is near 1000kg and it does not stipulate what I can and cannot put in my van.
Thanks in advance, just confused
If you want to risk just ratchet strapping down a tank I don’t imagine they do need to be told. The lads above are mostly referring to installed systems that are secured and not movable from the rear of the van.

If you want to risk just ratchet strapping down a tank I don’t imagine they do need to be told. The lads above are mostly referring to installed systems that are secured and not movable from the rear of the van.

Just stumbled across this and sorry to resurrect an old post, but P4dstar is wrong (Pause for dramatic effect). I spoke to insurers about this exact scenario and they will still class it as modified and installed, even if it is just 'ratchet strapped in'. We can argue about if this is fair or not, but what matters in the end is how your insurance views it and if they will declare your insurance void which could leave you in a massive world of pain!

Just stumbled across this and sorry to resurrect an old post, but P4dstar is wrong (Pause for dramatic effect). I spoke to insurers about this exact scenario and they will still class it as modified and installed, even if it is just 'ratchet strapped in'. We can argue about if this is fair or not, but what matters in the end is how your insurance views it and if they will declare your insurance void which could leave you in a massive world of pain!
I'm not disagreeing but there was also a gov directive issues about unfair contract conditions and insurance declarations a couple of years back. It was something about insurance companies can't invalidate a policy due to facts they didn't ask about. Then again IF they class carrying a tank a modification and it wasn't mentioned when a person takes out the insurance then they could invalidate it but I think the 'modification' argument can only be used if it contributed to the accident.

I suppose it all boils down to the definition of a modification and who is legally responsible for the definition. Maybe we should ask a prospective insurance company for a list of what they classify as a modification? i.e. does racking, internal panelling, or a pole rack constitute a modification?

I'm not disagreeing but there was also a gov directive issues about unfair contract conditions and insurance declarations a couple of years back. It was something about insurance companies can't invalidate a policy due to facts they didn't ask about. Then again IF they class carrying a tank a modification and it wasn't mentioned when a person takes out the insurance then they could invalidate it but I think the 'modification' argument can only be used if it contributed to the accident.

I suppose it all boils down to the definition of a modification and who is legally responsible for the definition. Maybe we should ask a prospective insurance company for a list of what they classify as a modification? i.e. does racking, internal panelling, or a pole rack constitute a modification?
That’s really interesting, I never knew that!

‘Your not insured because you didn’t tell us your Yoyota Yaris had a V8 engine’
‘Did you ask?’
‘No’
‘Boom!’ ?

The thing is, they do ask ‘is there any modifications to the vehicle?’ Surely the argument will be that at that point we must declare. Otherwise every insure quote would take forever, as they would need to list every possible modification in existence.

The thing is, they do ask ‘is there any modifications to the vehicle?’ Surely the argument will be that at that point we must declare. Otherwise every insure quote would take forever, as they would need to list every possible modification in existence.
That is the crux of the issue, what is classed as a modification. We need a definitive list from the prospective insurance company in writing.

I know of people that have innocently made some changes and as a second thought phoned their insurance company after finding out they would be best to inform the insurance company and had their policy cancelled, Not Window Cleaning Related though.

I know of people that have innocently made some changes and as a second thought phoned their insurance company after finding out they would be best to inform the insurance company and had their policy cancelled, Not Window Cleaning Related though.
That’s ruff. It essentially incentives lying (not that I would condone that). Also makes matters worse I know folk who have deliberately held back from declaring modifications and gotten away with it, even after claiming. Which again makes being honest feel like a kick in the teeth!

It seems to me that insurance is a very subjective thing. I would argue you're likely speaking to someone who is trying to cover all bases and just say no to everything. The best description of a vehicle modification I can find says "The definition of a car modification is a change made to a vehicle so that it differs from the manufacturers original factory specification". Strapping something into something doesn't meet this description. If the insurance company tried to weasel their way out of something you would just need to escalate it to the ombudsman!

Also, why are you wasting time chatting about that, you have an ionics system installed haha.

It seems to me that insurance is a very subjective thing. I would argue you're likely speaking to someone who is trying to cover all bases and just say no to everything. The best description of a vehicle modification I can find says "The definition of a car modification is a change made to a vehicle so that it differs from the manufacturers original factory specification". Strapping something into something doesn't meet this description. If the insurance company tried to weasel their way out of something you would just need to escalate it to the ombudsman!

Also, why are you wasting time chatting about that, you have an ionics system installed haha.
No the person didn’t just come back with obligatory ‘computer says no’ otherwise I would agree with you. They explained that while say a pallet of bricks would be something transported temporarily in the back of a van, a ratcheted in water tank would be viewed as a modification as it obviously wasn’t a temporary thing, but rather a constant in the van.

I am very fortunate to have a Ionics system now, but I haven’t always had it and many lads starting out can’t afford that type of investment. I know you were in the same boat when you started. I just wanna make sure folk don’t do something stupid and end up in a world of pain ??

I was under the impression that you can't use the same no claims discount on 2 vehicles at the same time but if you have proof they you have earned 3 years ncd and are not using it on another vehicle I believe you can use it on a van. It's a dodgy system that the insurance companies created and as such each company can make their own rules.

In my opinion if you are the driver that has earned the ncd why can't you use it on all vehicles you insure? - because the insurance companies made the rules to benefit themselves!

I believe that ncd only discounts the driver part of the premium, so doesn't make any difference to the premium part that's due to your area, parking location or vehicle type.

£2500 for someone at 25 I am shocked! I am sure with the smaller tank you will be able to get that down in a big way. I would start looking for insurance quotes now as some insurance companies actually give you a discount if you get quotes early as they think you are more organised and therefore more sensible!!! I think Martin Lewis used to say between 21 and 28 days before the policy is due gets you the best prices! Some of the comparison sites actually have a box to put in that you have a tank etc. Might be worth a try sooner rather than later.
Yer the ncb thing can be done im on 10 years on my car , 6 on my bike & 3 on the van now

No the person didn’t just come back with obligatory ‘computer says no’ otherwise I would agree with you. They explained that while say a pallet of bricks would be something transported temporarily in the back of a van, a ratcheted in water tank would be viewed as a modification as it obviously wasn’t a temporary thing, but rather a constant in the van.

I am very fortunate to have a Ionics system now, but I haven’t always had it and many lads starting out can’t afford that type of investment. I know you were in the same boat when you started. I just wanna make sure folk don’t do something stupid and end up in a world of pain ??
I still think this one is open. It’s like the regulations in motorsport… the intention of a rule is completely different to the exact wording. The engineers spend all their time trying to find ways around the rules and then the governing body changes them again to keep people safe. As long as you’re within the letter of the law you’re within the letter of the law, it’s as simple as that.
Let’s assume for a second you remove that ratcheted in tank at weekends and go fishing… it’s no longer a modification as it’s not there all the time. What I’m saying is, too many variables.

Also worth saying I strongly advocate spending money on a crash tested system and staying safe!

Let’s assume for a second you remove that ratcheted in tank at weekends and go fishing… it’s no longer a modification as it’s not there all the time.
I saw a van on FB yesterday with a 650ltr+ tank ratcheted in the back he also had carpet on the floor and Lino applied to the plyboard on the sides of the van, I wonder what he gets up to on a weekend :unsure:

Interesting thread, I’m actually looking at buying a small van. Probably a cheap Berlingo 850 or similar and was going to be fixing down with a frame a 350/400L tank but at first it might have to be strapped in as I buy the bits as and when I can afford them. So as a first time (for myself) van driver what companies do you recommend I try? I do own a car and have NCD etc but am I right in thinking these can’t be used on the van?

I also seen someone mention a 850L tank strapped down with just straps on Facebook ???, that’s bad news waiting to happen….

Interesting thread, I’m actually looking at buying a small van. Probably a cheap Berlingo 850 or similar and was going to be fixing down with a frame a 350/400L tank but at first it might have to be strapped in as I buy the bits as and when I can afford them. So as a first time (for myself) van driver what companies do you recommend I try? I do own a car and have NCD etc but am I right in thinking these can’t be used on the van?

I also seen someone mention a 850L tank strapped down with just straps on Facebook ???, that’s bad news waiting to happen….
Despite the price spiking this year, Admiral multicar always works out best for me. I insure my van, my mum’s car and the contents on the policy, so helps bring it down. So if you are keeping your car I would look into a multicar policy to save some dough. Admiral insured me both with a strapped in tank and with a professional installed one.

Despite the price spiking this year, Admiral multicar always works out best for me. I insure my van, my mum’s car and the contents on the policy, so helps bring it down. So if you are keeping your car I would look into a multicar policy to save some dough. Admiral insured me both with a strapped in tank and with a professional installed one.
There's me thinking that sports car was yours. ???

Admiral want £1854 for the year for a 2014 Berlingo ???. I’m 39 years old with 17 years driving.

Just done a compare site and got £795 with Swinton Van insurance.

Last edited:
Back