Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Lol I don’t pay that for 3 vans with multiple drivers ????
What’s even worse is I have had a write off on a car just over 4 years ago. Admiral asked if I had any accidents in the last 3 years so said no. The compare site asked in the last 5 years so said yes and it was over half price still.

Bleedin hell where do you live, I pay half that with Admiral and have a similar size and age van, but y van is parked on my drive not on the street
Last year admiral took £475 for my van. No changes or accidents but this year the best they could do was £527 and that was after I reduced my mileage (originally wanted £610). I spent an over a day shopping around but no one was able to beat them. It’s really frustrating but the rates have shot up ?

Last year admiral took £475 for my van. No changes or accidents but this year the best they could do was £527 and that was after I reduced my mileage (originally wanted £610). I spent an over a day shopping around but no one was able to beat them. It’s really frustrating but the rates have shot up ?
I think it was in the news a while back that insurance costs have increased by around 30% I always barter them down so I'll see how things go later in the year but generally, I can't be chewed to jump ship I'll do a basic price comparison online to see if there is cheaper and use that as a bartering price if there is cheaper, but I can't be ars-ed with phoning people and talking to people who read off a script and give the computer says No

I think it was in the news a while back that insurance costs have increased by around 30% I always barter them down so I'll see how things go later in the year but generally, I can't be chewed to jump ship I'll do a basic price comparison online to see if there is cheaper and use that as a bartering price if there is cheaper, but I can't be ars-ed with phoning people and talking to people who read off a script and give the computer says No
Yeah. They also mandated they couldn’t have different rates for new vs existing customers. So the cheap ‘new customer’ offers are gone.

I wouldn’t bother phoning the likes of individual insurers, but brokers are often a good shout as they’ll then have a few companies they take your details to.

Bleedin hell where do you live, I pay half that with Admiral and have a similar size and age van, but y van is parked on my drive not on the street
Manchester!

Just bought my first van so got to find insurance for Monday when I collect it. I’ve bought a 63 plate Peugeot Partner, which is only slightly older than the 2014 plate I had a price on earlier, that van has sold and now they all want an extra £100-200 a year! FFS!

Managed to get insured with Churchill, fully comp with full breakdown for £797 that paying monthly.

Can you pay Tax for the van monthly like you can on a car?

What’s even worse is I have had a write off on a car just over 4 years ago. Admiral asked if I had any accidents in the last 3 years so said no. The compare site asked in the last 5 years so said yes and it was over half price still.
Aye but there is no way to tell them of modifications. Therefore this quote is exactly what we’re talking about in this post mate.

Aye but there is no way to tell them of modifications. Therefore this quote is exactly what we’re talking about in this post mate.
I’ve gone with Churchill and they ask if any modifications with a list and it didn’t mention a tank of water. The company I have bought the van from who sells only commercials said if you have it strapped in it’s not a mod, if it’s fixed down using a frame it is. He also said that the hook points on the van will hold a substantial amount of weight.

I’ve gone with Churchill and they ask if any modifications with a list and it didn’t mention a tank of water. The company I have bought the van from who sells only commercials said if you have it strapped in it’s not a mod, if it’s fixed down using a frame it is. He also said that the hook points on the van will hold a substantial amount of weight.
He’s right about the modifications bit , but the anchor points aren’t that strong and especially so when having a tank of liquid that’s constantly moving take one of the bolts out and look at the size of them not much bigger than a pencil ,also look at the size of the area of reinforcement in the floor ,some vans are better than others but especially French based vans are very weak in this area ,it’s how they get such good payloads

He’s right about the modifications bit , but the anchor points aren’t that strong and especially so when having a tank of liquid that’s constantly moving take one of the bolts out and look at the size of them not much bigger than a pencil ,also look at the size of the area of reinforcement in the floor ,some vans are better than others but especially French based vans are very weak in this area ,it’s how they get such good payloads
Yes I’m not so sure on his statement about the anchor points. I’m sure there will be some info somewhere! I don’t want to risk my life that’s for sure. I will when I get to the point of fixing a tank in give Churchill a ring and see how they stand on the matter. For now I just need to get the van back and use my water containers until I can afford a tank. I have in all fairness jump in a little too early on the van front! I had a plan and I’ve brought everything forward ???. I do feel as I’m getting more and more customers it’s going to help me a lot plus with new cleans and the size of the houses I’m doing I can’t do many houses from my car!

I’m 100% certain that list would have included ‘other’ or ‘not listed’ as an option.

It’s your choice but I really think you are opening yourself up to a world of pain by not telling them. Others will disagree with me, but better safe than sorry is my opinion.

I’m 100% certain that list would have included ‘other’ or ‘not listed’ as an option.

It’s your choice but I really think you are opening yourself up to a world of pain by not telling them. Others will disagree with me, but better safe than sorry is my opinion.
Possibly but I’m not at the point of fixing a tank in yet. I’m using containers for now.

I tried looking into the load ratings on the tie downs in vans and I found that virtually none of the manufacturers would actually give a rating! I think there was 1 manufacturer who stated they where rated to 50kg.
If you look at the loops some of them aren't even welded into a loop just bent!
Remember that you are trying to stop a load from crushing you in the event of an accident! So if you are using the tie downs don't just use them to strap things against the bulkhead as then there is only the bulkhead stopping the load from crushing you. You should use the rear tie downs going in front of the load i.e. strap between load and you!
I would say using barrels doesn't qualify as a modification as it's just a load. Unfortunately, in my belief, as soon as you bolt a tank in, even though it's safer, the money grabbing insurance companies just see you as a cash cow! Insurance companies are there to make ££, so any excuse to up the premium or refuse a pay out they will jump at!

I wouldn't trust someone's opinion over an insurance companies T&C's,

years ago I mentioned to my insurance company that moving forward I would be intending on putting a water tank in the back of my L200 the lad on the phone said they wouldn't insure me, things have moved on over the years but you really need to know where you stand moving forward, make them aware of your intentions before doing anything and see what they say.

Back