Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I wouldn't trust someone's opinion over an insurance companies T&C's,

years ago I mentioned to my insurance company that moving forward I would be intending on putting a water tank in the back of my L200 the lad on the phone said they wouldn't insure me, things have moved on over the years but you really need to know where you stand moving forward, make them aware of your intentions before doing anything and see what they say.
Yes I agree, I’m going to pick the van up Monday then once home I’m going to ring them and get it covered correctly. I’ve spent the night reading up on it and I have to get it sorted.

Yes I agree, I’m going to pick the van up Monday then once home I’m going to ring them and get it covered correctly. I’ve spent the night reading up on it and I have to get it sorted.
Your barrels would simply be classed as carriage of own goods, it's when you come to put a tank in that's when they will view things differently.

Last year admiral took £475 for my van. No changes or accidents but this year the best they could do was £527 and that was after I reduced my mileage (originally wanted £610). I spent an over a day shopping around but no one was able to beat them. It’s really frustrating but the rates have shot up ?
I thought I'd come back to this as my renewal price came through yesterday bearing in mind I've now got a newer van, Admiral tried to tell me the best they could do was £420 I told them I'd used a comparison website and that they had come out the cheapest at £369 I then went on to tell them I also had a quote from Alexander Swan for £345 they then offered my renewal price of £333 considering they are supposed to offer us the best price it's amazing how they suddenly dropped my price by £87

This year's price is cheaper for my 19-plate Berlingo than it was last year for my 64-plate combo

I thought I'd come back to this as my renewal price came through yesterday bearing in mind I've now got a newer van, Admiral tried to tell me the best they could do was £420 I told them I'd used a comparison website and that they had come out the cheapest at £369 I then went on to tell them I also had a quote from Alexander Swan for £345 they then offered my renewal price of £333 considering they are supposed to offer us the best price it's amazing how they suddenly dropped my price by £87

This year's price is cheaper for my 19-plate Berlingo than it was last year for my 64-plate combo
It’s ridiculous isn’t it! I did try that tactic but they came back with ‘the price we’ve offered you is the lowest we can go’. In the end the small difference wasn’t worth the hassle of changing.

I’ve heard, anecdotally, that newer vehicles can be cheaper because you’re more likely to take care of them & drive with more caution. Wether this is true… ?‍♂️

I’m glad you managed to get yours down, though. £333 is a very good price all things considered!

My insurance with Aplan was lower than last year. ?
You must have gotten ripped off last year ?
Sorry pal. Insurance has went up 30%. Doesn’t matter if you’re the perfect driver. Inflation, more cars back on the road and new laws means everyone is being effected. Though maybe your a case of the new law working, you’re now on the same rate has new customers! ?

It’s ridiculous isn’t it! I did try that tactic but they came back with ‘the price we’ve offered you is the lowest we can go’. In the end the small difference wasn’t worth the hassle of changing.

I’ve heard, anecdotally, that newer vehicles can be cheaper because you’re more likely to take care of them & drive with more caution. Wether this is true… ?‍♂️

I’m glad you managed to get yours down, though. £333 is a very good price all things considered!
Definitely ridiculous, I have my wife as a named driver so that lowers it a bit apparently.

I did a web chat with them and I was very polite and courteous it always seems to work more so sweet-talking Asian customer agents.

You must have gotten ripped off last year ?
Sorry pal. Insurance has went up 30%. Doesn’t matter if you’re the perfect driver. Inflation, more cars back on the road and new laws means everyone is being effected. Though maybe your a case of the new law working, you’re now on the same rate has new customers! ?
I think its about £400 so I'm not complaining and my tool insurance went down aswell. They said it was because I'm such a nice person. ???

Vans are made to carry loads so I really don’t get why you would need to tell an insurer what you are carrying. What’s the difference between us carrying water and a builder carrying half a tone of bricks. As long as it’s properly secured and you’re not over the payload you should be fine. Problems may occur though if you have modified your vehicle to accommodate such loads like drilling holes through the floor as this will be classed as a modification and that’s when your premiums could rise or in certain cases be refused altogether as the vehicles structural integrity could be invalidated making it dangerous.

Vans are made to carry loads so I really don’t get why you would need to tell an insurer what you are carrying. What’s the difference between us carrying water and a builder carrying half a tone of bricks. As long as it’s properly secured and you’re not over the payload you should be fine. Problems may occur though if you have modified your vehicle to accommodate such loads like drilling holes through the floor as this will be classed as a modification and that’s when your premiums could rise or in certain cases be refused altogether as the vehicles structural integrity could be invalidated making it dangerous.
Mate this has been debated to death, please just read the previous post. But, a summary:
1. Water & bricks are not the same. Water has inertia.
2. Insurance companies do view it as different, whether you agree or not.
3. Better to have a safely installed system than rely on tie down points which have been shown to be woefully inadequate.

Mate this has been debated to death, please just read the previous post. But, a summary:
1. Water & bricks are not the same. Water has inertia.
2. Insurance companies do view it as different, whether you agree or not.
3. Better to have a safely installed system than rely on tie down points which have been shown to be woefully inadequate.
I completely agree although I would love to see the policy wording that differentiates the two.

I completely agree although I would love to see the policy wording that differentiates the two.
Brick are classed as goods being delivered to a job , a tank is classed as a fixture in the van so is technically a modification that needs to be declared but it will not nessesarily cost more but they need to know .

Brick are classed as goods being delivered to a job , a tank is classed as a fixture in the van so is technically a modification that needs to be declared but it will not nessesarily cost more but they need to know .
It’s only classed as a modification if it’s been fitted by modification to the van ie drilling holes to bolt through. If you’ve used existing manufactures tie down points then it’s classed as carriage of goods. It doesn’t matter whether it’s 25l barrels or a 500l tank as long a you’re not exceeding the payload or using the tank to carry hazardous chemicals. That’s why some insurance company’s charge extra. It’s for the modification and not for what you are carrying via the modification. The water you carry gets used on the job just the same as a brickie carrying bricks to use on a job.

It’s only classed as a modification if it’s been fitted by modification to the van ie drilling holes to bolt through. If you’ve used existing manufactures tie down points then it’s classed as carriage of goods. It doesn’t matter whether it’s 25l barrels or a 500l tank as long a you’re not exceeding the payload or using the tank to carry hazardous chemicals. That’s why some insurance company’s charge extra. It’s for the modification and not for what you are carrying via the modification. The water you carry gets used on the job just the same as a brickie carrying bricks to use on a job.
I said it’s technically a modification, and you are right a bolted in tank is a modification and needs declaring but a strapped in tank also needs declaring that’s a proven fact and I have email proof from several insurance companies stating this ,unfortunately I cannot post them on here as I posted them on another forum and was asked to remove them due to GDPR data breach , using the vehicle tie down points is totally irrelevant, they aren’t load rated anyway no manufacture will give will give load ratings I was in the motor trade for 16 years so am fully aware of how this works most French vans use bolts that are only 1/4 in diameter would you trust that to a load of several tons in an accident ? , as already stated a static load is totally different to moving load ( liquid ) anyone who puts there life in the hands of a ratchet strapped tank to the vehicle lashing points is very foolish , I know of two people that have been killed using this set up and the largest tank involved was only 400 ltr ,

It’s only classed as a modification if it’s been fitted by modification to the van ie drilling holes to bolt through.
I'd say you're totally wrong on this, A mod is anything that has been done to change the vehicle after the point of manufacture, this definitely applies to a wfp system as it's permanently in the van to enable us to carry out our daily business, the tank plus pump and controller then hose reel all connected and not considered as just carriage of own goods, if you change the steel wheels it's a mod if you have the windows tinted it's a mod
some insurance company’s charge extra. It’s for the modification and not for what you are carrying via the modification.
The only time my insurance company has had me over for extra money is when I've declared a mod mid-term they want £30 off me for any change, at the point of insuring my new van I declared it was sign written and had a tank fitted even though at the point of taking the insurance out it didn't, I wasn't paying them £60 weeks later.

I'd say you're totally wrong on this, A mod is anything that has been done to change the vehicle after the point of manufacture, this definitely applies to a wfp system as it's permanently in the van to enable us to carry out our daily business, the tank plus pump and controller then hose reel all connected and not considered as just carriage of own goods, if you change the steel wheels it's a mod if you have the windows tinted it's a mod

The only time my insurance company has had me over for extra money is when I've declared a mod mid-term they want £30 off me for any change, at the point of insuring my new van I declared it was sign written and had a tank fitted even though at the point of taking the insurance out it didn't, I wasn't paying them £60 weeks later.
Think this is goin a little off topic here. I wasnt referring to what is safer or the best option as that’s another story but was referring to the op on what you have to tell your insurer. My wife works for a corporate insurance company so you’d think I’m going off sound information and not just my opinion. I was also told by my last insurer that if my van was sign written my premium would go down. The fees you where being charged where more than likely admin fees to change your documentation.

Back