Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Think this is goin a little off topic here. I wasnt referring to what is safer or the best option as that’s another story but was referring to the op on what you have to tell your insurer. My wife works for a corporate insurance company so you’d think I’m going off sound information and not just my opinion. I was also told by my last insurer that if my van was sign written my premium would go down. The fees you where being charged where more than likely admin fees to change your documentation.
That was my point informing an insurance company of any changes to the van which aren't standard at the point of it rolling off the production, which in the eyes of the insurance company is a mod.

I'd sooner inform my insurance company of any mods and have it in black and white on my policy documents then there is no come backs on me, because the biggest insurance companies can be weasels when it comes to claim and not wanting to payout on a technicality ?

I said it’s technically a modification, and you are right a bolted in tank is a modification and needs declaring but a strapped in tank also needs declaring that’s a proven fact and I have email proof from several insurance companies stating this ,unfortunately I cannot post them on here as I posted them on another forum and was asked to remove them due to GDPR data breach , using the vehicle tie down points is totally irrelevant, they aren’t load rated anyway no manufacture will give will give load ratings I was in the motor trade for 16 years so am fully aware of how this works most French vans use bolts that are only 1/4 in diameter would you trust that to a load of several tons in an accident ? , as already stated a static load is totally different to moving load ( liquid ) anyone who puts there life in the hands of a ratchet strapped tank to the vehicle lashing points is very foolish , I know of two people that have been killed using this set up and the largest tank involved was only 400 ltr ,
As I’ve said, I’m not debating what is safer or not and think it’s gone off topic but what I will say on it is that the lashing points are a lot stronger these days from when you was in trade especially on the bigger vans and there’s also a reason why even the best installs are only rated up to 30mph and tbh after seeing some of the bodge jobs that are from what to be considered good company’s then I’m a little concerned either way. I’ve always used flat tanks in my vans as think they are a lot safer and spread the load considerably. I don’t think I would want an upright tank of considerable size sitting behind me no matter how secure it is.

Back