Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP explained in simple terms.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

gardeners are claiming it will produce 2600 litres a day but obviously thats in perfect conditions. Im just wondering about this system as a start up and not be spending a fortune as I am just setting up and have to buy everything. if it works and I can build up a bit of business I can upgrade to something better then. 
This will be dependant of your tap pressure being sufficient. If it isn't that could drop down to 30-50 litres an hour. The cheapest R/O systems require a holding tank, IBC. It is cheap to pump it from there to your van tank.  

gardeners are claiming it will produce 2600 litres a day but obviously thats in perfect conditions. Im just wondering about this system as a start up and not be spending a fortune as I am just setting up and have to buy everything. if it works and I can build up a bit of business I can upgrade to something better then. 
PRF r/o's are not designed to purify water for window cleaning. They are designed as a 3rd tap in the kitchen of American kitchens. They don't need to be that efficient.

@ShropsWindowCleanerhas one and is fortunate to have a booster pump as high water pressure does improve efficiency.

The equivalent to a PRF is a 4021 r/o. Most of us would recommend a 4040 with a quality membrane.

A smaller r/o (450gpd) will also be enough to support a window cleaner's daily requirements, but you will need to process water into a holding tank as @Part Timeradvises.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a million everybody for the help. It really is much appreciated. Its back to the drawing board again so!
Mick phone Collins water in England,I got a 350gpd ro for 150quid brand new,nearly 5 years ago now,still going strong,no booster pump,straight into tank,takes 4 1/2 hours to fill 120 liters,just takes a little longer to fill but it don't bother me. 

Where abouts in Ireland are you?

Mick phone Collins water in England,I got a 350gpd ro for 150quid brand new,nearly 5 years ago now,still going strong,no booster pump,straight into tank,takes 4 1/2 hours to fill 120 liters,just takes a little longer to fill but it don't bother me. 

I just checked Collins water an the 450gpd to is only 155 quid,that will get you up an running cheap

I just checked Collins water an the 450gpd to is only 155 quid,that will get you up an running cheap
One of the things you always have to consider is that Colins Water and many other like them are in the drinks and aquatic markets.

The reason why they are cheap is that they use cheap Chinese membranes that don't have to be that efficient. At one time Colins water didn't even mention window cleaners on their website.

The reason why r/o's that are built with window cleaners in mind are more expensive is that they supply more efficient membranes made in America.

A number of years ago we took an example of an HID Chinese membrane performing at 95% rejection rate and an Axeon performing at 98% rejection rate. The extra resin the windie used polishing off that extra ppm soon negated the financial savings made purchasing the cheaper membranes.

Someone in a soft water area may just accept the little extra resin used as it probably won't have a noticeable effect on them financially. But if you are in a hard water area the extra resin costs will be felt.

This is why suppliers such as GAPS who cater for many industries sell a high quality membrane for window cleaning applications.

How hard is your water Francie? What’s the TDS before the RO? How often do u have to replace the membrane and filters?

How hard is your water Francie? What’s the TDS before the RO? How often do u have to replace the membrane and filters?
My water fluctuates between 60 an 180 Mick,the ro takes it down to 2 everytime,hasnt let me down once,great wee Yok,I go through around 500 litres a week. 

Every four months for the prefilter Mick,if your only starting,itl be a grand job to get you pure

One of the things you always have to consider is that Colins Water and many other like them are in the drinks and aquatic markets.

The reason why they are cheap is that they use cheap Chinese membranes that don't have to be that efficient. At one time Colins water didn't even mention window cleaners on their website.

The reason why r/o's that are built with window cleaners in mind are more expensive is that they supply more efficient membranes made in America.

A number of years ago we took an example of an HID Chinese membrane performing at 95% rejection rate and an Axeon performing at 98% rejection rate. The extra resin the windie used polishing off that extra ppm soon negated the financial savings made purchasing the cheaper membranes.

Someone in a soft water area may just accept the little extra resin used as it probably won't have a noticeable effect on them financially. But if you are in a hard water area the extra resin costs will be felt.

This is why suppliers such as GAPS who cater for many industries sell a high quality membrane for window cleaning applications.
I had no bother with it spruce,but if I was using more water,I'd need to upgrade,but it's good for what I need

My water fluctuates between 60 an 180 Mick,the ro takes it down to 2 everytime,hasnt let me down once,great wee Yok,I go through around 500 litres a week. 

Every four months for the prefilter Mick,if your only starting,itl be a grand job to get you pure
My water is about 350 at the moment. Will this be more of a factor?

My water is about 350 at the moment. Will this be more of a factor?
Yeah Mick,but youl still get it down to under ten,iron giant posted there about daqua,it's only a little bit more an Doug is great to buy of,daqua would be better as iron giant says.

http://daqua.co.uk is only £25 more expensive for  450GPD R/O including delivery to Ireland and you are getting a much better product.
Happy days iron giant,didn't know that,I always hear of how good Doug is,goodman

Yeah Mick,but youl still get it down to under ten,iron giant posted there about daqua,it's only a little bit more an Doug is great to buy of,daqua would be better as iron giant says.

Happy days iron giant,didn't know that,I always hear of how good Doug is,goodman
Good stuff. Thanks a million everybody for your feedback. It really is much appreciated to a newcomer. 

Back