Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do you use them on?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I only do gutter work for existing customers, no one offs.....so i stick mirror on end of pole and have a look.

If its something i cant do from the ground i will tell them they need to get someone else in. 

Theres very little ive seen that cant be done with a vac mind

This is a serious question. Many of you lads have got a Vac and I understand that they serve a purpose. However for domestic cleaning I find that the tiles are often too close to the gutter to be able to use a gutter vac to successfully. I can see the benefit to using one on Commercial work where you have much wider deeper channels and can get the vac in easily but not for domestic work. I still find personally it's easier to climb a ladder and use pro gutter tools to empty them by hand. Please correct me if you think otherwise.

My dad is 67 and still working 5/6 days a week. He does quite a few gutter vac jobs in the year so I like the fact hes on the ground and only has to use ladders for blocked down pipes if needed. 

I find that hard to believe as it was totally chocca solid.  However you'd still need the ladder as downpipes were crammed with soil  

No Ime being serious that job looks a doddle we do dozens like that , if it’s dry wet it up with the hose break it into half meter sections , either put the vac end in the middle of the turf or suck up the end of it and tease it out the gutter , the photo you have put up it looks just right nice and damp that’s a lovely job bread and butter job . We did a gutter job today had to get the ladder out ??? a tree only a foot high had roots going about 8 feet along the gutter and under the roof tiles I had a hard job to pull it out  , 

Reminds me of a photo off one of our ads [emoji41]
d4b5b25447dc6d0e7d44ceb40e283195.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Doubtful mate. More like 5 or 6 but loads of high foliage around so never can be too sure

I had one the same and I quote £200 because he never got it cleaned for a decade. I didn't want the job. Anyhow the guy told me a nugget of information. He said he has rainwater coming in through his valley. So he got on to the insurance and thought they would fix it. Insurance guy said because he had not maintained his gutters and valleys his claim was void. I remind all my customers that they need to maintain their gutters, valleys and roof because the insurance wont pay out.

I had one the same and I quote £200 because he never got it cleaned for a decade. I didn't want the job. Anyhow the guy told me a nugget of information. He said he has rainwater coming in through his valley. So he got on to the insurance and thought they would fix it. Insurance guy said because he had not maintained his gutters and valleys his claim was void. I remind all my customers that they need to maintain their gutters, valleys and roof because the insurance wont pay out.

See my post at the top of the gutter section. It's a link to Axa insurance about maintaining guttering.

Doubtful mate. More like 5 or 6 but loads of high foliage around so never can be too sure
The roots on the grass don't look that long so that might only be a couple of years, especially if the previous people didn't clear the downpipes. Got quite a few now that were like that first time, even though they were supposedly done the year before, that now take longer to get to them then it does to clear them.

I know this ain't good for repeat business but have any of you ever considered offering to install gutter brushes? For those that don't particularly like add ons you could make a good wedge and then not have to do them again?

I know this ain't good for repeat business but have any of you ever considered offering to install gutter brushes? For those that don't particularly like add ons you could make a good wedge and then not have to do them again?
A bit like lending your customers your WFP equipment for £100 for the first wash and then free for the next 5 years. Do very well then what are you going to do? Best paid work, by a country mile,  I do not going to jeopardise it to make a quick buck. Think this is your "Pikey" side coming out  :1f632:  

A bit like lending your customers your WFP equipment for £100 for the first wash and then free for the next 5 years. Do very well then what are you going to do? Best paid work, by a country mile,  I do not going to jeopardise it to make a quick buck. Think this is your "Pikey" side coming out  :1f632:  
More like the scouser in me ? My mums from Kirkby, if you ever get a chance to visit there then don't ?

I know it would be useless for you but for some of the more domestic lads who want to focus on windows. I reckon I could do something with that you know, £200 a side maybe. Maybe when i'm in a position to take someone on who can foot the ladder!

Yeah i don’t rate the hedgehogs (gutter brushes) as you say. Did a job last month and the silt just builds up underneath them and in the corners where the roof channels come down. They do their job to an extent but inevitably they will still block up. And the chances are the customer will phone you to clear the gutters out way down the line, and then you wish you’d never put the buggers in.
The downpipe guards are a good shout though [emoji106]
Saves you having to pull the pipes apart every time you go there, and you can just pro gutter or vac the lengths then [emoji317]

I normally ask if they want a leaf guard fitted on top of the downpipes.
I got a box full from EBay years ago.
Then it's £20 on top of the cleaning price.
Then tell them if they want them cleaned out again next year I can do it at a reduced price!
Knowing that it won't take half as long to clean out and all the downpipes are clear. [emoji16][emoji106]

Yeah i don’t rate the hedgehogs (gutter brushes) as you say. Did a job last month and the silt just builds up underneath them and in the corners where the roof channels come down. They do their job to an extent but inevitably they will still block up. And the chances are the customer will phone you to clear the gutters out way down the line, and then you wish you’d never put the buggers in.
The downpipe guards are a good shout though
emoji106.png

Saves you having to pull the pipes apart every time you go there, and you can just pro gutter or vac the lengths then
emoji317.png

I normally ask if they want a leaf guard fitted on top of the downpipes.
I got a box full from EBay years ago.
Then it's £20 on top of the cleaning price.
Then tell them if they want them cleaned out again next year I can do it at a reduced price!
Knowing that it won't take half as long to clean out and all the downpipes are clear.
emoji16.png
emoji106.png

I'm not in a position to do either the gutter brush or the leaf blockers at the mo as I don't even keep a ladder on the van anymore. It was just an idea but you guys are probably right about just installing downpipe blockers. One customer asked me to give them a quote but they gutter guards over the top. They ain't lived there long so they didn't know. I just told them to give me a shout if they started having trouble with overflowing etc.

Back