Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which small van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CMcB

Hi guys, looking to get a second hand smallish van in the next few months. 

It's got to have approx 1 ton payload so I can have a 500l system in it. Looking at fiat doblo (or similar), Peugeot partner (or similar) and possibly Ford transit connect (but its a bitty expensive for a smaller payload). Anybody had these vans longer term or bought them second hand, have any comments? Not going to be leasing a new van, looking for approx 2 to 4 year old and keeping for as long as possible. 

Im no expert but i dont think your gonna get a 1000kg payload with any of them.

Your gonna need at least a Vivaro and your gonna be looking at around 15k for a 2-4yr old van.

I bought my 2018 vivaro August 2020 and its now worth more than i paid for it, van prices are bat 5h1t crazy at the moment and the market aint slowing up

Last edited by a moderator:
We have got 4 transit connects in the franchise (new and old shape) all with a payload of just under 1000kg. They handle 400L-500L fine but the older model (2012) handles it better than the newer connects (2020)

My advice would be to get a bigger van if you can. Something along the lines of a Ford Transit Custom. The prices are "just" starting to reduce down a bit. Not loads, but there are good buys out there. Just need to fine them!

Fiat doblo maxi  long wheel version takes 1000kg. I like my van had it a few years now.its a 2013. Only problem is it's turning circle is not very good, if you have been a lorry/bus driver  you might be ok with it. Probably get about approx 44mpg with it. 

A couple of thoughts, make sure you buy something that is large enough for any future needs then when you think you have made a decision google known faults on that type. A guy we know got a Scudo (I think) and it eats steering racks.

A couple of thoughts, make sure you buy something that is large enough for any future needs then when you think you have made a decision google known faults on that type. A guy we know got a Scudo (I think) and it eats steering racks.
Do you know where he has mounted his tank? Sounds like he is overloading the front axle and that is causing steering racks to fail?

I've got an upright 400 litre  caged tank just next to bulkhead, but with enough room to slide in a hop up step n my trad bucket, great tight space for it. 

I'm sure the garage had to cut a hole underneath to put bolts in for cage, n weld it all up again.

I've got an upright 400 litre  caged tank just next to bulkhead, but with enough room to slide in a hop up step n my trad bucket, great tight space for it. 

I'm sure the garage had to cut a hole underneath to put bolts in for cage, n weld it all up again.

Can you repeat that ?

Having a small van and the largest tank you can fit is crazy in my opinion. 

You are always better off with a medium to large van due to the amount of equipment ancillaries and crud you build up 

Lots of small vans have a 1000 kg payload. My 19 plate Berlingo has a ton payload, but I went for a LWB version for a bit of extra room. Ive always had smaller vans as they are much easier to manoeuvre.

2 of my window cleaning mates have the transit connects and their van batteries keep dying cos apparently the headlights stay on when the back doors are open for the hose. Kills the van battery.

Lots of small vans have a 1000 kg payload. My 19 plate Berlingo has a ton payload, but I went for a LWB version for a bit of extra room. Ive always had smaller vans as they are much easier to manoeuvre.

2 of my window cleaning mates have the transit connects and their van batteries keep dying cos apparently the headlights stay on when the back doors are open for the hose. Kills the van battery.
I've got a 5 year old connect and the lights do not stay on longer than a couple of mins with doors open..still on original battery,I have got 2 leisure batteries connected up to a split charge relay too though for heater,reel and pump

I've got a 5 year old connect and the lights do not stay on longer than a couple of mins with doors open..still on original battery,I have got 2 leisure batteries connected up to a split charge relay too though for heater,reel and pump
Only going on what they told me fella and it was there mechanic who told them that's why they are dying. But both have definitely had batteries go flat while at work and both run split charge and leisure batteries too.

Only going on what they told me fella and it was there mechanic who told them that's why they are dying. But both have definitely had batteries go flat while at work and both run split charge and leisure batteries too.
We have exactly the same problem but we have hose roller guides fitted. 

The Limited’s have sometimes got a parasitic draw which is what we’ve got. He’s done 3 batteries in 5 years. Luckily he just keeps getting them replaced under Halfords warranty. 

We have exactly the same problem but we have hose roller guides fitted. 

The Limited’s have sometimes got a parasitic draw which is what we’ve got. He’s done 3 batteries in 5 years. Luckily he just keeps getting them replaced under Halfords warranty. 
Some of these smaller vans are fitted with smaller batteries to save money from the point of manufacture and this time of year colder weather and our short runs impact the battery more so, I have to charge the battery on my combo once a month or keep it running a few times a day which will only clog up the dpf to charge the battery using my numax charger only takes about 20-30 minutes very easily done so no biggie 

I’ve got a couple of Numax battery chargers and it’s made no difference. The battery just gets killed regardless.

I’ve tried doing reconditioning as well and it always says it’s been completed. 

I’ve got a couple of Numax battery chargers and it’s made no difference. The battery just gets killed regardless.

I’ve tried doing reconditioning as well and it always says it’s been completed. 
Are they the smaller batteries fitted and are your guys and girl sitting with radio on without the engine running, this is how I got stuck one year when my battery died the AA guy said best to run the engine whilst on a break, the things I mentioned previously also come into play plus the daylight running lights 

Also is you dad wanting to let those poles out of Aladdin's  cave ?

Back