Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which small van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Are they the smaller batteries fitted and are your guys and girl sitting with radio on without the engine running, this is how I got stuck one year when my battery died the AA guy said best to run the engine whilst on a break, the things I mentioned previously also come into play plus the daylight running lights 

Also is you dad wanting to let those poles out of Aladdin's  cave ?
They’re decent size. 

He will clean for say 2 or 3 hours with everything locked up and the van won’t start. 

He just jump starts himself and has done for a few months now. I will try and find the draw over Christmas.  

haha, I will ask him. 

I’ve got a couple of Numax battery chargers and it’s made no difference. The battery just gets killed regardless.

I’ve tried doing reconditioning as well and it always says it’s been completed. 
Weird....I've never had a problem in 5 years and I only do 3000 miles a year(connect limited L2 240)

I've probably jinxed it now!?

They’re decent size. 

He will clean for say 2 or 3 hours with everything locked up and the van won’t start. 

He just jump starts himself and has done for a few months now. I will try and find the draw over Christmas.  

haha, I will ask him. 
is the split relay or whatever they called putting a drain on the van battery I assume your team are charging the leisure battery every night as well if a relay is fitted, you may need an expert to suss out the potential issue @ched999uk may be able to offer some advice

Not good to jump start a van I think it's something to do with damaging the Cat 

Tell him they ain't earning him any money collecting dust ?

is the split relay or whatever they called putting a drain on the van battery I assume your team are charging the leisure battery every night as well if a relay is fitted, you may need an expert to suss out the potential issue @ched999uk may be able to offer some advice

It’s the only van that does it and most of the vans have the same SCR. 

We are going to install a B2B charger over Christmas to see if that changes anything. 

There is a mixture of SCR and B2B in the business and nobody bench charges any Leisure batteries. 

A good SCR will not drain the main battery. It has a built-in one way system. It will only take charge from the alternator to the leisure battery/batteries once the main battery is fully charged. It will not allow charge to transfer from the main battery to the leisure batteries. It will not allow charge from the leisure battery to transfer to the main battery.

Jump starting is not good except when there is no alternative in very rare emergency situations. A flat battery is never good. For this reason I always fit the biggest, beefiest, best quality batteries I can sensibly source.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have exactly the same problem but we have hose roller guides fitted. 

The Limited’s have sometimes got a parasitic draw which is what we’ve got. He’s done 3 batteries in 5 years. Luckily he just keeps getting them replaced under Halfords warranty. 
Thought you had transit customs not connects ????

It’s the only van that does it and most of the vans have the same SCR. 

We are going to install a B2B charger over Christmas to see if that changes anything. 

There is a mixture of SCR and B2B in the business and nobody bench charges any Leisure batteries. 

For a battery to go flat in 2 to 3hrs either the battery is on it's last legs or you have one big parasitic load. Before you change the leisure battery charging system I think you need to do some tests on the van battery and charging system. If you have a DC clamp meter put it on the van battery +ve and see what current is flowing when everything is switched off, there might be a little current at first but it should reduce down after maybe 10mins (if there is a bonnet switch make sure that is pressed down). If the current is just an amp or so then that's OK any more and there might be an issue. I once had an old Vectra that would flatten it's battery over a weekend, eventually I found that 1 of the heater flap motors micro switch had failed and the motor was trying to close a flap when ever the engine was switched off, so over a weekend it was enough to drain the battery. I used to pull the fuse to stop it draining as it was a dash out to get at the micro switch!

One other thing you could do to prove the issue isn't related to the leisure battery and it's charging system is to pull the fuse by the van battery that feeds power to the leisure battery system when he arrives at a job. If after 3 hrs the van starts then the issue is the leisure battery system, if it fails to start then it's nothing to do with leisure battery system!!

Before replacing stuff you really need to identify the issue.

It happened only last week to one of my mates, he's got a red one, 17 plate, looks quite sporty. Anyway last week I got a call from him to ask if I could jump start him from my van. I had to decline as my van is a stop start and doesn't like jumping other vehicles.

Yes I know that but thought you had the transit custom vans not transit connect vans , the charging systems etc are different from what I have been told 
Transit customs and connects. 

Newest franchisee wants a VW! YUK

The battery in the connect once replaced with a new one lasts a year before it goes wrong. Then we get the issues.  

Transit customs and connects. 

Newest franchisee wants a VW! YUK

The battery in the connect once replaced with a new one lasts a year before it goes wrong. Then we get the issues.  
Do Transit engines still sh*t timing chain tensioners?

I wsa speaking to a friend who has a split relay fitted, had just fitted another power up reel and his battery went flat, Has a citreon berlingo

Maybe a split relay issue.

I just use the small lesiure battery that charges up with golf charger.  Thought about a split relay,but think I wont bother and I do about 15k miles a year.   I can see the sense in them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back