Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working all day then waiting a week for payments

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ime guessing you don’t do any commercial work then as it’s 28 day payment by 99%  of them . As has been said each to there own we always have around 5-8 k outstanding theses days but  cash flow  into the bank is very good and I don’t have a problem with that . I agree the works done and you should be paid., but many wait until the end of the month when they get paid to settle there bills and I feel that’s fine , if I had a window cleaner hassle me after a few days chasing money I would tell him what to do . 
No I actively avoid commercial now for that very reason. I have about 5 commercial jobs I've had a while and they're all on GC. I work for myself and that's how I like it so I'm able to set the rules I'm happy with. Im not even taking work on at the mo so I'm in a good position to set my terms as I do. Trust me most don't get chance to drop me as I drop them before the hassle begins ?

As I said in my original post everyone runs their business as they choose and I respect people who choose to allow longer payments as that is their right. As is my right as my business to set 3 days. I just don't agree with people saying you're in the wrong game if you arent prepared to wait, or that you need to get some money behind you. It's completely your right as your business to set your terms.

No I actively avoid commercial now for that very reason. I have about 5 commercial jobs I've had a while and they're all on GC. I work for myself and that's how I like it so I'm able to set the rules I'm happy with. Im not even taking work on at the mo so I'm in a good position to set my terms as I do. Trust me most don't get chance to drop me as I drop them before the hassle begins ?

As I said in my original post everyone runs their business as they choose and I respect people who choose to allow longer payments as that is their right. As is my right as my business to set 3 days. I just don't agree with people saying you're in the wrong game if you arent prepared to wait, or that you need to get some money behind you. It's completely your right as your business to set your terms.
I agree once a job is done you should be paid , Tesco wouldn’t let you have your shopping and they you pay later , but most businesses do operate on 28 days terms and working for them we have to accept that I don’t  find it a problem as we all ways have money coming in  and arnt operating from hand to mouth , I always have at least 6 months working capital in the bank to pay for everything and think most businesses should be able to do the same once well established , if ones want payment within a few days that’s also fine but think from my experience that it’s not realistic for my business with the volume of work and the amount of commercial we do . 

I agree once a job is done you should be paid , Tesco wouldn’t let you have your shopping and they you pay later , but most businesses do operate on 28 days terms and working for them we have to accept that I don’t  find it a problem as we all ways have money coming in  and arnt operating from hand to mouth , I always have at least 6 months working capital in the bank to pay for everything and think most businesses should be able to do the same once well established , if ones want payment within a few days that’s also fine but think from my experience that it’s not realistic for my business with the volume of work and the amount of commercial we do . 
I completely agree. And as that's how you choose to run it and that's what works for you then there is no problem with that. And I do get what you are saying. That's why I said we all run our businesses how it suits us. I have a good buffer of cash in my bank so cash flow is not an issue, I just dont like things to be tardy it's the way I am. Most are on GC now anyway so it's not an issue as it's there in 7 days.

3 days is ridiculous in my book to start contacting customers to pay up.......mines 14 days for domestics and 28 days for commercial
You carry on like that then. It's ridiculous in yours eyes but not in mine, nor 99.9% of my customers now.

I think the attitude is wrong its not alright to be at someones whim to pay like their doing you a favour.

Although i will add on my terms now about payment within alloted time frame

. As i have intention of letting people off by dropping them (as they just mug the next cleaner and then their be like why you paying xyz window cleaners, have a few cleans free)

Or wasting time and money chasing them.

I have always worked on payment on day of completion in my other business and that includes commercial work.

So will tighten my window cleaning terms.

I think the attitude is wrong its not alright to be at someones whim to pay like their doing you a favour.

Although i will add on my terms now about payment within alloted time frame

. As i have intention of letting people off by dropping them (as they just mug the next cleaner and then their be like why you paying xyz window cleaners, have a few cleans free)

Or wasting time and money chasing them.

I have always worked on payment on day of completion in my other business and that includes commercial work.

So will tighten my window cleaning terms.
You ve got a lot to learn.it simply wont work with a window cleaning business.you cant expect payment on day of clean for every single customer.....it wont happen 

@dazmondi think a weeks grace is more than enough window cleaning, if they dont find the time they dont value you.

You go to a garage or a barbers you dont go i'll pay you when i feel like.

I bet theirs people we all pay quicker than others, im not going to battle each month to get money off someone, a slow payer can then either set up a direct debit (as forgetful) or be scraped.

Waiting a week + for your payments then constantly chasing people feel like giving up with this 

getting paid drips and drabs with windowcleaning how dose every one els do it ? 
I put clearly on my bills payment is due on delivery of service. I do not offer credit facilities of any kind and expect payment to be made as soon as possible. 

If nothing after 7 days, they get a daily reminder. Yes that's right DAILY. 

The content of the reminder is key to a successful credit control policy. Its important to not get personal in your reminders, and stick to a standard template.

I don't even address them by their name. I simply put the following:

"Dear Customer, please can you remember to settle your window cleaning bill today as it is now overdue for payment, best wishes...."etc

And that will go out daily, until it's paid. I don't care if they feel annoyed, or insulted for being reminded the truth of the matter is you don't want customers that get upset over such reminders anyway so it will always work in your favour.

At any one time I am owed probably 100 quid maybe 150. Every one of my customers pay me within 24 hours, and if they are new and tardy, they soon realise I'm not pulling my punches with regards to my credit control policy and they either shape up or find a different mug. 

You have to be tough. Its a business.

I put clearly on my bills payment is due on delivery of service. I do not offer credit facilities of any kind and expect payment to be made as soon as possible. 

The content of the reminder is key to a successful credit control policy. Its important to not get personal in your reminders, and stick to a standard template.

"Dear Customer, please can you remember to settle your window cleaning bill today as it is now overdue for payment, best wishes...."etc

And that will go out daily, until it's paid. I don't care if they feel annoyed, or insulted for being reminded the truth of the matter is you don't want customers that get upset over such reminders anyway so it will always work in your favour.

At any one time I am owed probably 100 quid maybe 150. Every one of my customers pay me within 24 hours, and if they are new and tardy, they soon realise I'm not pulling my punches with regards to my credit control policy and they either shape up or find a different mug. 

Agree & a week seems reasonable as Most people are busy. I will then send reminders & because of this I'm rarely owed more than £100 despite earning well. I have even had customer's thanking me for reminding them. In 15 years I have only lost 2 payments, one died & one was agrressive & didn't want hassle for £10..

i find most domestic customers pay within 14 days anyway....any that dont after 14 days get a text reminder which works 9 times out of 10...its only ever a handful,takes 10 mins.....

currently my debt list stands at £947-00....

I’m the same - it’s all how you manage your business in the first place. 

When a new customer agrees to my quote I always state that I require prompt payment - usually on the day the work is completed and certainly within 5 days max unless they are on holiday.

I state this requirement verbally when meeting the customer and / or by email when quoting. 

I’ve never had a problem and most customers say oh yes I hate owing money, I’ll sort it immediately. And I’m happy to say they do.

It builds an excellent business for you with excellent customers and mutual respect. 

Communication is the key.

I’m rarely owed more than £400-500 for more than 3 days. 

I appreciate you have to do what works for you in the area you live in. 

All the best 

I have only been in this job just over 14 Months and Found the hard working people are ready to pay before the job is done or the only ones I get a tip From , The rich are a joke never had a tip from one of them and I clean in areas that you can only afford if you won the lottery , On my invoices it says to be paid on Receipt so they know so far only one awkward idiot ,  longest had to wait is a week , But I do send the invoice again after 5 Days if no payment has arrived and add 1st Reminder for Payment it usually works .I do Mostly one off Cleans so it's Trust thing , only Problem I had a issue with was a pub once they started Playing up said they was not happy I cleaned it again they pointed out Marks which were inside , I had enough and said I would cover the windows in a Cleaner that would take hours to scrub off When dry unless I get paid by end of the day it was paid but they did not want me again , Some People think Tradesman should have to wait for your Money especially the wealthy I have learnt , its ok People saying well you should be able to wait , I don't Agree you don't go in Sainsburys and walk out say I pay you later or you don't go in a Car wash get your Van cleaned  and say I pay you next clean or later in week  . You have to be Confident in your Business and yourself in this Job that's what I have learnt .

Waiting a week + for your payments then constantly chasing people feel like giving up with this 

getting paid drips and drabs with windowcleaning how dose every one els do it ? 
This is the way I see it. People get busy, payment needs to be discussed prior to do a job.

I understand where your coming from especially if your starting out you really need the cash flow now.

The way I over came this problem when I first started was to put my head down and keep grinding (getting new work!!!) so you have the cash flow to make your Bill payents, the slower payers will come around and pay, I always made notes on each account that they slow pay.

So I could adjust to it and if they keep slow paying they get put on the bottom of the list to do (if I had time).

Things get easier once you really start grinding!!

Dont let others dictate your attitude or your financial well being.

Hope this helps.

Had my business statement in yesterday, so noted who hadn't paid and sent a text last night,

if you dont answer the text (one number failed despite, me checking twice it twice with them) 

I door knocked the remaining 3 this morning at 7,  2 paid up with excuses (my bank card was playing up - dont worry i'll only clean when you have cash then).

3rd presume is a chancer as his van and car was their and the top windows were open and ignored the knock 4 times (dodgy number customer).

So next is the 7 knock not 7.30 then 6.30 till the money is paid, his had a month grace. And had my number on todays reminder note.

He had fascia, gutter and window clean so not just a tenner.

I dont care about keeping rubbish customers so its a case of pay me and get someone else.

May build slowly but id rather have the cash ready/ transfer that day type.

On commercial work (not done it with windows) i say these are my terms and this is how long you have by hiring me you accept these terms, 

I explain if its later interest can be added and if payment is still not received it £95 added for each letter my solicator sends.

And some of these firns are 28 days to 90 days normally, yet it written down and they bend to pay you.

Had my business statement in yesterday, so noted who hadn't paid and sent a text last night,

if you dont answer the text (one number failed despite, me checking twice it twice with them) 

I door knocked the remaining 3 this morning at 7,  2 paid up with excuses (my bank card was playing up - dont worry i'll only clean when you have cash then).

3rd presume is a chancer as his van and car was their and the top windows were open and ignored the knock 4 times (dodgy number customer).

So next is the 7 knock not 7.30 then 6.30 till the money is paid, his had a month grace. And had my number on todays reminder note.

I dont care about keeping rubbish customers so its a case of pay me and get someone else.

On commercial work (not done it with windows) i say these are my terms and this is how long you have by hiring me you accept these terms, 

I explain if its later interest can be added and if payment is still not received it £95 added for each letter my solicator sends.

And some of these firns are 28 days to 90 days normally, yet it written down and they bend to pay you.
When I do a PVC clean then I expect the money that day. I expect to get bumped for odd window clean and occasionally have cleaned wrong windows but for add-ons I expect money that day unless not happy with it.

Think you need to sign them all up to Go Cardless mate. Prior to 1st clean 

You don't want the pro plan as it's £50 a month plus the transaction fees at least that's the way I read it as it says vat applies to monthly fees and transaction fees and the standard plan is 1% + 20p then vat is added on top of that they produce an invoice at the end of each month which details total fees plus the vat. 

I am into my 7th year with GC and the standard plan works well for me and I've never had any issues with GC other than some custys not having money in the bank, this does happen one job in the last few weeks I had to make 3 requests over 3 weeks until I got my money, she was instantly dumped. 

Reckon Gc would cost a business over 1 and half grand plus for single operator.

Which is basically over a week for alot of people working for free to cover the gc cost to collect. It may ne small amounts but as you may do 60 plus jobs a week it adds up.

Reckon Gc would cost a business over 1 and half grand plus for single operator.

Which is basically over a week for alot of people working for free to cover the gc cost to collect. It may ne small amounts but as you may do 60 plus jobs a week it adds up.
You are right there is a cost to using GC but there should be less admin so the costs might not be as high as you think. If you are using an app like squeegee or CleanerPlanner etc then GC is automated so as soon as you click to say job done the GC system automatically starts the process. You then just need to check your invoices (in app) once a week to see if everything is working. So admin time is much reduced. So either you get more free time or more time to earn more money!

Back