Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working all day then waiting a week for payments

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Reckon Gc would cost a business over 1 and half grand plus for single operator.

Which is basically over a week for alot of people working for free to cover the gc cost to collect. It may ne small amounts but as you may do 60 plus jobs a week it adds up.
That maybe so, but I ain't chasing money, knocking doors or getting ripped off, plus factor in the time of chasing those last 3 jobs you mentioned fuel wear and tear on the van over the year it all mounts up, stick an extra £1 on top of every job to cover the the average GC fee, I paid just over £1,100 last tac year but that was before the fees increased and vat was applicable, 

I clean over 100 jobs a week and I currently have over 320 jobs on GC and the rest 100+ are cash or bacs, if a new job won't sign up to GC then they wont get their windows cleaned, the only exceptions is old folks who always pay cash. 

Reckon Gc would cost a business over 1 and half grand plus for single operator.

Which is basically over a week for alot of people working for free to cover the gc cost to collect. It may ne small amounts but as you may do 60 plus jobs a week it adds up.
no need for gocardless if you get in front with your bills,money in the bank,etc....it doesnt make a jot of difference if i have to wait a week or two for payments from jobs....i dont need the money now.,next month or even next year...id rather spend my money on a good van,decent hot water system,poles and electric reel than give gocardless my money any day of the week!?

It does matter @dazmond as that money you have worked for, that could be in your pocket then be working for you by buying an extra van etc so you can take a lad on.

Any dodgy ones i have dropped 2 out of those 3 have paid and have been dropped the 3rd is paying thursday apparently and as nice etc i will give the benefit of doubt to.

I would rather build slower and cut out bad customers not desperate for the money but i wont let anyone walk over me its the principle. Get my money and goodbye with rogue customers.

It does matter @dazmond as that money you have worked for, that could be in your pocket then be working for you by buying an extra van etc so you can take a lad on.

Any dodgy ones i have dropped 2 out of those 3 have paid and have been dropped the 3rd is paying thursday apparently and as nice etc i will give the benefit of doubt to.

I would rather build slower and cut out bad customers not desperate for the money but i wont let anyone walk over me its the principle. Get my money and goodbye with rogue customers.
i dont have any rogue customers mate......they just dont all pay me on the day of clean thats all....it comes in eventually....its called rolling debt....im always getting paid for jobs on a daily basis....some of them will be recent cleans and some will be from a few weeks ago or even a month or so ago...makes no difference to me....

@dazmond as long as your happy mate and i get as its established you can be more patient and happy to carry the debt.

Probably harsher than most as i remember the grief of rogue customers when starting, so now if your too slow (after a reminder) or attitude towards paying its goodbye.

no need for gocardless if you get in front with your bills,money in the bank,etc....it doesnt make a jot of difference if i have to wait a week or two for payments from jobs....i dont need the money now.,next month or even next year...id rather spend my money on a good van,decent hot water system,poles and electric reel than give gocardless my money any day of the week!?
We are all different though and that's the thing my personal circumstances are no doubt different to yours and so on, if you don't have to spend anything but to spend on yourself and equipment then your lucky, we are renovating our house as it needs everything doing, other people have mortgages and kids and so on. 

But ultimately it's about effective cashflow management and GC helps take care of that debt automatically collected and marked paid in CP when it comes in, we all have rolling debt but if I only have to check on about 10 payments a month then I can better spend my time doing what I need and want to do. 

We are all different though and that's the thing my personal circumstances are no doubt different to yours and so on, if you don't have to spend anything but to spend on yourself and equipment then your lucky, we are renovating our house as it needs everything doing, other people have mortgages and kids and so on. 

But ultimately it's about effective cashflow management and GC helps take care of that debt automatically collected and marked paid in CP when it comes in, we all have rolling debt but if I only have to check on about 10 payments a month then I can better spend my time doing what I need and want to do. 
each to their own.....i just dont want to pay gocardless for getting my money in my bank a few days earlier....?

Fair do's, I thought it would have been a drop in the ocean for you ?
have you worked out how much you pay gocardless over the course of a year?they recently upped their prices considerably too...no thanks..i pay £15 a month for the basic cleaner planner which is fine but the pro version is £29 per month...i could easily pay £1500 a year just to get my money in a bit quicker with GC fees and the extra CP costs....

just as a side note i only have to send text reminders to a handful of customers once or twice a month...no more than 10 mins of my time...

i can understand window cleaners using gocardless for all customers if they employ but for a sole trader it seems like overkill to me...

Waiting a week + for your payments then constantly chasing people feel like giving up with this 

getting paid drips and drabs with windowcleaning how dose every one els do it ? 
Do what I do

"Hello windows cleaned tomorrow about 10am -11am  Please leave the gate unbolted and the money or cheque to David................ £...  somewhere in the back garden in an envelope with my name on it. Thanks Dave"

And for customers who prefer to pay online. I've made it clear I would like to be paid before I come round to clean.

I give them a couple day head up to pay me

"Hello Windows cleaned  17/7/21 Friday about 11ish £... Thanks Dave"

If I don't get paid before I come round to clean then their Windows don't get cleaned.

Now I love being a window cleaner?

Last edited by a moderator:
have you worked out how much you pay gocardless over the course of a year?they recently upped their prices considerably too...no thanks..i pay £15 a month for the basic cleaner planner which is fine but the pro version is £29 per month...i could easily pay £1500 a year just to get my money in a bit quicker with GC fees and the extra CP costs....

just as a side note i only have to send text reminders to a handful of customers once or twice a month...no more than 10 mins of my time...

i can understand window cleaners using gocardless for all customers if they employ but for a sole trader it seems like overkill to me...
We have nearly 4,500 customers and I don’t use go cardless I wouldn’t evan consider it , once you have signed up they can up the pricing and there is nothing you can do I dread to think what it would cost me . I earn very good money but feel if you use theses apps for work schedule and go cardless or similar this eats into your profit margins Ime more than happy to invest in things that will benefit my business but don’t feel either of the aforementioned are of any benefit to us .   

We have nearly 4,500 customers and I don’t use go cardless I wouldn’t evan consider it , once you have signed up they can up the pricing and there is nothing you can do I dread to think what it would cost me . I earn very good money but feel if you use theses apps for work schedule and go cardless or similar this eats into your profit margins Ime more than happy to invest in things that will benefit my business but don’t feel either of the aforementioned are of any benefit to us .   
I agree. The world is full of “middle men “ taking a cut for very little. In the case of go cardless, they’re solving a problem that doesn’t really exist. 
I work hard to make my round as efficient and as well paying as I can. I don’t want  to give some to a third party if I can help it. 
I rarely chase for money, and always end up getting paid, even if it’s a few weeks late. 

I agree. The world is full of “middle men “ taking a cut for very little. In the case of go cardless, they’re solving a problem that doesn’t really exist. 
I work hard to make my round as efficient and as well paying as I can. I don’t want  to give some to a third party if I can help it. 
I rarely chase for money, and always end up getting paid, even if it’s a few weeks late. 
Totally agree 

Very well said. ?

Best ask your wife what she thinks, as she does all the admin ?

Read back in this post as I have already mentioned costs.

Sounds like you have it sussed and custys well trained ?

Not overkill just far more efficient for me, so I can just crack on with whatever I want outside work.

Back