Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working all day then waiting a week for payments

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Also don't forget..The "oh while your at it could you cut the hedge???"
I have a professional sprayer which I take with me and spray weedkiller where I clean the windows. I also have a pair of secateurs and a battery jigsaw to cut away some branches, no one has every complained. I'm trying to make it easy for me when cleaning windows but many of my customers are OAP,s and have to rely on their gardener. 

I have a professional sprayer which I take with me and spray weedkiller where I clean the windows. I also have a pair of secateurs and a battery jigsaw to cut away some branches, no one has every complained. I'm trying to make it easy for me when cleaning windows but many of my customers are OAP,s and have to rely on their gardener. 
Actually I also have some secateurs, it's handy for access.

Good for you. ?

However, what makes you think that somehow I am putting up with problem customers? And just because I put customers onto Go Careless that somehow they are not worth keeping?

Genuinely speaking, some people just don't have the time or the inclination to get themselves organised they are already rushed off their feet as it is with their jobs and other stuff, the window cleaner is not a high priority. It's great for me because I have a locked gate policy, that the full payment is due regardless of access. So if i give them a date and they don't leave access, I clean what I can and still take full payment as they are paying for the appointment slot, even better by direct debit. Their forgetfulness makes me  more money. Trust me they only forget once or twice and they never forget again...lol

Also not wanting to stir here, but be careful that your attitude doesn't come across arrogant, I certainly have been in your position and arrogance will come back to bite you.  You get really busy and start thinking that beocuse you are amazing at what you do, and your busy you have grandiose views of yourself and your customers will think to themselves what a prat this guy is.. and it all starts to unravel. 
We are now in a position to be very fussy with who we take on I am having to get rid of work to take on new customers as we are full to bursting point . If what I said came over as arrogant that’s not how it was meant I am just stressing we don’t  need any more customers so I am very fussy who I take on as I can afford to be like @Green Pro Clean Ltd Once said the customer has to meet his profile , I thought he was being arrogant but he’s right , Ime not interested in taking on every job that comes my way , I want nice houses , easy access , no dog poo , no locked gates unless we have keys or codes not interested in txt or phoning , good prices and nice customers I am in a lucky position to be able to pick and choose after 22 years or so doing this job , we are currently getting around 30 + enquires a week Ime struggling to keep up with the emails and answer phone massages , again this isn’t boasting Ime just sharing my experience and I know several other window cleaners in my area are experiencing exactly the same as I am . Housing estates with hundreds of new homes are being built all over the place and there simply isn’t enough window cleaners that are any good or reliable to keep up with the demand . I am not interested in disorganised customers that’s my whole point problems in the making , 

We are now in a position to be very fussy with who we take on I am having to get rid of work to take on new customers as we are full to bursting point . If what I said came over as arrogant that’s not how it was meant I am just stressing we don’t  need any more customers so I am very fussy who I take on as I can afford to be like @Green Pro Clean Ltd Once said the customer has to meet his profile , I thought he was being arrogant but he’s right , Ime not interested in taking on every job that comes my way , I want nice houses , easy access , no dog poo , no locked gates unless we have keys or codes not interested in txt or phoning , good prices and nice customers I am in a lucky position to be able to pick and choose after 22 years or so doing this job , we are currently getting around 30 + enquires a week Ime struggling to keep up with the emails and answer phone massages , again this isn’t boasting Ime just sharing my experience and I know several other window cleaners in my area are experiencing exactly the same as I am . Housing estates with hundreds of new homes are being built all over the place and there simply isn’t enough window cleaners that are any good or reliable to keep up with the demand . I am not interested in disorganised customers that’s my whole point problems in the making , 
I'm getting enquires every other day regarding window cleaning then when I go and clean them I usually pick up the neighbour. I think the virus has conditioned folk to look after their home and see it as a piggy bank. The other thing is cleanliness, folk have went all ocd regarding touching and cleaning things, which is pressing the trend.

?     ?     ? 

Let's hear it for the boy...?

downloadfile.gif

tenor-6.gif

tenor-5.gif

tenor-4.gif

tenor-3.gif

tenor-2.gif

tenor-1.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a very sad person mark just grow up a bit 
Aww come on, just having a bit of banter with you. Don't be so serious all the time. 

Genuinely speaking, I agree with what you are saying. When your in a position to pick and choose your customers you can focus on the business you want to take on and refuse the custom you don't want, but it's sort of stating the obvious a little bit after 22 years being in business,.you sort of expect to be in that position by then.

I have been  in business around the same sort of time, (minus 2 years) and it's the same with myself, I only take on work that i know fits into my business profile. The go careless (love calling it that) is another avenue for customers to take so i can maximise the business throughout.

So calm down, don't be so serious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And there was me thinking I was the only one who carries some????
if a window is partly obscured by an overgrown shrub i just clean what i can and leave the rest,sod pruning it for the customer!also customers can be very precious about there plants so giving them a chop could be very annoying to them without their consent....

if a window is partly obscured by an overgrown shrub i just clean what i can and leave the rest,sod pruning it for the customer!also customers can be very precious about there plants so giving them a chop could be very annoying to them without their consent....
I do exactly the same if it’s a rose bush go do what you can without knocking petals off , the silk is usually out of the question 

in fact I don’t move anything if they put it in front of windows then I ain’t moving it and putting back. I’ve smashed loads of **** in the past has enough of apologising I text most of them before hand so if they want it cleaning properly move it yourself 

@Pjj been serious well done, 

Personally i would take on the enquiries, keep the cream and clean the rest and sell it off (not cream) in about half year.

As if you get 30 new people a week, 120 a month and keep say 30 of them long term. Thats 90 new customers a month that i would clean for say half a year then sell as a 360 customer round to a newbie and put it in the pension fund.

@Pjj been serious well done, 

Personally i would take on the enquiries, keep the cream and clean the rest and sell it off (not cream) in about half year.

As if you get 30 new people a week, 120 a month and keep say 30 of them long term. Thats 90 new customers a month that i would clean for say half a year then sell as a 360 customer round to a newbie and put it in the pension fund.
The problem is we already have approx 4,500 regular customers as well as add on jobs and we don’t  have any spare time to take on theses new jobs , I agree totally with what you are saying it could be a good  new revenue earner , but we are now booking add on jobs going into November, some won’t wait that long but most are prepared  to so we just have to turn so much stuff away , it’s a shame but I cannot take on any more I am dropping our lesser paid stuff and replacing it with higher priced work on a drop a job and take a new one on basis .  I have never known anything like the volume of enquires we are getting don’t understand why it’s suddenly gone like this . 

I think I remember Scottish saying he cut down a small tree not so long ago, problem was it wasn't the customers it was the next door neighbours ?
Sounds about right ?????

@Pjj first option i can think of is if your 5 days a week working and employing a couple of guys, offer them each a choice of doing a saturday or sunday each week for a bit extra (perhaps their saving for a mortgage etc these would be my first targets).

Bring in a extra hand if you know someone capable. If your worried about enough window work for them as round is growing get them to cover someone elses part of your round so that person can do some of your add on services and reduce its waiting time.

Keep up the good work @Pjj

The problem is we already have approx 4,500 regular customers as well as add on jobs and we don’t  have any spare time to take on theses new jobs , I agree totally with what you are saying it could be a good  new revenue earner , but we are now booking add on jobs going into November, some won’t wait that long but most are prepared  to so we just have to turn so much stuff away , it’s a shame but I cannot take on any more I am dropping our lesser paid stuff and replacing it with higher priced work on a drop a job and take a new one on basis .  I have never known anything like the volume of enquires we are getting don’t understand why it’s suddenly gone like this . 

Sounds about right ?????
Yeh we get it, you’ve mentioned how busy you are in your last four thousand post ??

Probably as busy as most established windies ?

Have you put your prices up this year?  I'm charging roughly 20 percent more now.  So a  £25 job is now £30, a £40 job is £50, a £100 job is £120 etc.  I was always on the high side anyway but they're paying more now.  If I was in your position, which is a great position to be in, I'd be whacking the prices up as you can afford to lose a lot and still be full with work.  

Have you put your prices up this year?  I'm charging roughly 20 percent more now.  So a  £25 job is now £30, a £40 job is £50, a £100 job is £120 etc.  I was always on the high side anyway but they're paying more now.  If I was in your position, which is a great position to be in, I'd be whacking the prices up as you can afford to lose a lot and still be full with work.  
I haven’t put up many this year as most are very good anyway but did put up prices last year by quite a bit , but all new ones are 50% higher than existing work , gets a bit difficult when quoting next to existing customers so I just say I  yours will be dearer than next doors , so they don’t come back later saying why’s mine xx amount more than next doors 

Does anyone have direct debits? I got one & another customer who wants to do it but don't like it as awkward if 4 weekly as either I do extra clean over time or they lose out if Im late

Back