Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the snow....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Do you use Spotless in Maidstone? I was chatting to a window cleaner there last year who lived over your way. 

Really..used hot before cold and it froze just as quick. Maybe even quicker 
nope....... hot water does NOT freeze quicker than cold despite what you may read online mate......i thaw out ice on glass and frames when its freezing cold with my hot water system....i was doing exactly that first thing this morning.....brush jets dont freeze up either and my hands are nice and warm despite only wearing thin nitrile gloves because my hose is so warm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Really..used hot before cold and it froze just as quick. Maybe even quicker 
It's a proven fact(any who disagree look it up) that hot water freezes quicker than cold.. all to do with the bigger gaps between molecules.

nope....... hot water does NOT freeze quicker than cold despite what you may read online mate......i thaw out ice on glass and frames when its freezing cold with my hot water system....i was doing exactly that first thing this morning.....brush jets dont freeze up either and my hands are nice and warm despite only wearing thin nitrile gloves because my hose is so warm....
It does.

Hot water freezing quicker than cold is an interesting one. If you look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect it suggest that it's not really been proved as there are factors such as evaporation, and what temp the water freezes that need to be accounted for.

It seems such a simple experiment but the results do seem to be contested!!!

I do think that warm/hot water will allow you to clean windows at a lower ambient air temp. The water will still freeze when the temp drops low enough though...

The greater the difference in temperature between the water and its surroundings and the smaller the volume of water the quicker they try to equalise.

A spoonful of boiling water will cool faster than a bucket full of warm water. An ocean full of water will be colder in the spring than it will be in winter, except in the very shallow areas.

Hot water loses heat faster than cold water because of the bigger difference to the surrounding air temperature.

But!  As It has a higher starting temperature it's still an advantage when cleaning windows as some of the heat will still come through the hoses and jets. Warm or hot water can melt light icing but of course it can still re-freeze. Hopefully if it's not too cold the windows will by then be clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not the case when cleaning windows though....ive been hot WFP for years now mate and it just doesnt happen...
Maybe so, but when you walk away from a job is the patio doors conny windows and doorsteps are going to ice up as the water cools then freezes, at -5 temps the roads would be too dodgy on estates and ain't worth risking the van or getting stuck as the air temp might be -5 but the ground temp will be 2-3 degrees lower 

It's a proven fact(any who disagree look it up) that hot water freezes quicker than cold.. all to do with the bigger gaps between molecules.

It does.
Technically it might freeze faster but @dazmond is right we melted ice off window frames and glass the last few days without it re freezing , I think this is due to the fact you continue to apply the hot water where as cold is slow running down the window and it sticks to the already frosty surface , we were using 65 degree water in -1 degree this morning which I accept isn’t that cold but in 2010 it was -6 and we worked in that without anything freezing on the glass , when I was cold wfp I had no end of problems with it freezing on the glass never had that happen since going hot . Ime not criticising what you are saying just sharing my personal experiences with this .

Back