Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the snow....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Technically it might freeze faster but @dazmond is right we melted ice off window frames and glass the last few days without it re freezing , I think this is due to the fact you continue to apply the hot water where as cold is slow running down the window and it sticks to the already frosty surface , we were using 65 degree water in -1 degree this morning which I accept isn’t that cold but in 2010 it was -6 and we worked in that without anything freezing on the glass , when I was cold wfp I had no end of problems with it freezing on the glass never had that happen since going hot . Ime not criticising what you are saying just sharing my personal experiences with this .
Think we will have to look at a hot system to add to this. Capital power in Edinburgh fit them which is nearby 

Think we will have to look at a hot system to add to this. Capital power in Edinburgh fit them which is nearby 
You obviously get far colder weather than I do but we do work in areas of the country and if we have traveled 300 miles the job is done regardless of temperature when I was cold it was a nightmare with freezing , now with hot we never have any issues again obviously there is a need to be careful with water run off freezing on the ground causing a slip hazard ,we use hot water all year in minus 4-5-6 or what ever we also use it in plus 30 what ever as well but turn down the heat a bit as it would be over 80 degrees water temperature and you cannot touch the hose ???

So today was the first day I introduced my no door policy when below 0. Gave them a quick wipe down with a cloth but no wfp as didn't want any water to freeze around them. 

Anyone else do this or maybe carry around rock salt to sprinkle on the door step after the clean? 

So today was the first day I introduced my no door policy when below 0. Gave them a quick wipe down with a cloth but no wfp as didn't want any water to freeze around them. 

Anyone else do this or maybe carry around rock salt to sprinkle on the door step after the clean? 
I clean doors trad and a cloth when it’s too bad like your doing. I have rock salted a couple of years ago. But people don’t like treading it in the house, so I don’t do it now. I once got told off, thought it would help but obviously not. ?

I still do the doors with wfp. I simply reduce the amount of water I use on them if I think it will create a slip hazard. Same with windows over paths.

Sometimes I just give a very short blast of water at the top of the door and just wipe down the door with the wet bristles if I'm really concerned (tiled entrance etc). I don't use rock salt. I wouldn't want it getting in my house so I wouldn't want to cause it
to get in anyone else's. Each part of the job is quickly assessed as I get to it.

No cloths are involved in my work, ever.

As a matter of of interest, was it you @Bongofishthat was going back and wiping down all the sills? I'd be interested to know if you still do. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I still do the doors with wfp. I simply reduce the amount of water I use on them if I think it will create a slip hazard. Same with windows over paths.

Sometimes I just give a very short blast of water at the top of the door and just wipe down the door with the wet bristles if I'm really concerned (tiled entrance etc). I don't use rock salt. I wouldn't want it getting in my house so I wouldn't want to cause it
to get in anyone else's. Each part of the job is quickly assessed as I get to it.

No cloths are involved in my work, ever.

As a matter of of interest, was it you @Bongofishthat was going back and wiping down all the sills? I'd be interested to know if you still do. ??
I can't believe u don't use cloths... I love a good cloth as really helps with some sills especially ones where dirt keeps coming out no matter how much u rinse. I feel naked without my cloths especially few windows where drips down.

I can't believe u don't use cloths... I love a good cloth as really helps with some sills especially ones where dirt keeps coming out no matter how much u rinse. I feel naked without my cloths especially few windows where drips down.
No need for cloths. That's not part of the wfp method. Once you've rinsed properly it will only be clear water running down. Doesn't matter that it settles.

Where the dirt keeps coming out of the joint between window and sill, I simply switch off the water and swipe across and back with the brush to get the rid of the bits. Then flick my fingers across the bristles to clean them before moving to the next window. Works for us.

The sills won't stay dry even if they're dried with a cloth. How can they? There's water still running down on them from the rest of the window.

I don't want to be double handling and far more important to me. I don't want to be inviting arthritis.

Steel yourself and try naked.? It will probably feel alien at first but you never know you might get to like it. ?

Yes I do. I still don't get why not. I clean the house and get my cloth out and wipe all sills at the end. Takes about max an extra 2 minutes and customers love it ?

Yes I do. I still don't get why not. I clean the house and get my cloth out and wipe all sills at the end. Takes about max an extra 2 minutes and customers love it ?
My post above explains the reasons why not. I'm out to do a first rate professional job, not out to be a teacher's favourite. ?

I'm still waiting for it to snow. My snow shovel i purchased in 2010 hasn't yet got white stuff on it yet, it's mainly a dustpan in my workshop 

I'm still waiting for it to snow. My snow shovel i purchased in 2010 hasn't yet got white stuff on it yet, it's mainly a dustpan in my workshop 
To get the contract for a big residential retirement home we offered to clear the snow, just after we started 2010 / 11. The Manager was very keen so we bought 2 big snow shovels, still waiting for the contract and the shovels are in the garage unused.

To get the contract for a big residential retirement home we offered to clear the snow, just after we started 2010 / 11. The Manager was very keen so we bought 2 big snow shovels, still waiting for the contract and the shovels are in the garage unused.
Haha! There's none of us that can't be caught out at some time. And very few folk that haven't been. ☺️

You obviously get far colder weather than I do but we do work in areas of the country and if we have traveled 300 miles the job is done regardless of temperature when I was cold it was a nightmare with freezing , now with hot we never have any issues again obviously there is a need to be careful with water run off freezing on the ground causing a slip hazard ,we use hot water all year in minus 4-5-6 or what ever we also use it in plus 30 what ever as well but turn down the heat a bit as it would be over 80 degrees water temperature and you cannot touch the hose ???
You have hot water, how comes you’ve never mentioned it? ?

Low temps most of us can deal with whether hot or cold systems, ultimately the kicker is the snow along with low temps in my neck of the woods for the last 2 weeks we have had rain, hail, sleet and snow along with freezing temps the housing estates have been dicey this week already and this morning there is over 5cm of snow on top of ice and it will continue to snow all morning it will get up to +1 but I ain't risking my van in that I'll be be lucky to get off my drive and up the road. 

I got my wife safely off to work this morning though before 6.30am and she managed to get to work, but she ain't in van with up to 500kg in the back 

Well I've had my hot water on for the last 2 days and don't understand how anyone can work without it ? ? Well worth the £6k I paid for it ?
I've used mine for the last 2 days and it was much needed with these minus temperatures. I've got the immersion heater-in-the-side-of-the-tank setup and it's worked brilliantly. Cost £3 electric from 11pm until 7.30am but enables us to do a day's work. Wondering what the advantages of paying thousands for a fitted hot water system are?

I've used mine for the last 2 days and it was much needed with these minus temperatures. I've got the immersion heater-in-the-side-of-the-tank setup and it's worked brilliantly. Cost £3 electric from 11pm until 7.30am but enables us to do a day's work. Wondering what the advantages of paying thousands for a fitted hot water system are?
My initial post was a bit tongue in cheek as I'm not a fervent believer in hot water. I do use it occasionally on freezing cold days, yesterday, and bad first cleans. The difference between mine and your system is I can just turn it on and a couple of minutes later have hot water. I wouldn't buy another hot water system and next time would probably look at your method.

If you can't get a cable to your van then you can't supply the immersion heater! 

Latest Posts

Back