Jump to content
HWCS

Upto 50 customers



Recommended Posts

mike007
On 14/04/2019 at 11:26, mupps said:

Put your prices up - otherwise you'll be working flat out for not a lot of financial reward. People will always pay a premium for quality work and reliablity. Look around on this forum and see what others are charging, and you will be surprised what people will pay for a good service. 👍👍

We mostly all make the mistake of under charging when starting up unfortunately....perhaps it is part of our "apprentership" together with learning the arts of window cleaning...but we pretty soon learn to price better....those that do not end up doing some other job because window cleaning does not pay for them due to their pricing too low.

Share this post


Link to post
Tango
5 hours ago, mike007 said:

We mostly all make the mistake of under charging when starting up unfortunately....

 

Yup, i got one i definitely should have charged £25 for but stupidly said £15 just to get the work. Massive house with windows and skylights everywhere. Yes I'm an idiot but you live and learn!

Share this post


Link to post
AJ Fry

I can relate with this, still early days for me and you hang and get excited on every enquiry feeling you need to convert each one into a customer. Fortunately from advice i've seen on this forum and a little research seeing what other local windys are charging I'm quickly learning to hold my nerve when pricing. I know I've lost a few because someone will always do it cheaper. Give it a year or two when your established and confident to charge top dollar you don't want half your round under priced from the cheap prices you were giving out in the beginning. I've just totted up the first 30 customers i've got and the average price per clean comes at out £18. That has a good range of properties too with the vast majority on 6 weekly cleans. It seems to be pretty similar to what the other professional lads are charging round my way.

Share this post


Link to post
HWCS

A month further down the line from my OP and im upto around 100 customers, my pricing had got better and im feeling alot more confident in giving what i feel is a decent price for a decent job.

Avg house is being priced at 

£1.00-1.50 a window down

£1.50-2.00 a window up

£7-15 a conservatory depending on size

Same for internal windows.

 

Ive invested in all new equipmemt from WCW as opposed to BnM/Homebase.

 

Things are going well and i finish my job as a baker on 26th June to do wimdows full time.

 

Alot of this is due to sound and solid advice from this forum.

 

Many thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
14 minutes ago, HWCS said:

A month further down the line from my OP and im upto around 100 customers, my pricing had got better and im feeling alot more confident in giving what i feel is a decent price for a decent job.

Avg house is being priced at 

£1.00-1.50 a window down

£1.50-2.00 a window up

£7-15 a conservatory depending on size

Same for internal windows.

 

Ive invested in all new equipmemt from WCW as opposed to BnM/Homebase.

 

Things are going well and i finish my job as a baker on 26th June to do wimdows full time.

 

Alot of this is due to sound and solid advice from this forum.

 

Many thanks guys

Well done. Glad it's going well for you. 

Thanks for the update. 👍🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Clarkus84
On 17/05/2019 at 12:32, Tango said:

 

Yup, i got one i definitely should have charged £25 for but stupidly said £15 just to get the work. Massive house with windows and skylights everywhere. Yes I'm an idiot but you live and learn!

I was doing a house on Saturday. Was one of the first I got when I didn't have any confidence in pricing up jobs. Been charging £20 every 4 weeks. Decided to go around, take a look and see what I would quote now. Needless to say, it's easily a £35 house. Done the same on the next house and I'd be about an extra £8 a clean. Was a bit of a kick in the teeth but I learnt the importance of getting prices right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer
2 hours ago, Clarkus84 said:

I was doing a house on Saturday. Was one of the first I got when I didn't have any confidence in pricing up jobs. Been charging £20 every 4 weeks. Decided to go around, take a look and see what I would quote now. Needless to say, it's easily a £35 house. Done the same on the next house and I'd be about an extra £8 a clean. Was a bit of a kick in the teeth but I learnt the importance of getting prices right. 

This is how you learn to run a business, you will never learn without making mistakes. Contrary to a lot on here I think you're better off pricing jobs, in the early days, at a level to secure them. You can always put them up, or replace them, when established. You never will learn anything, including techniques, if you don't secure work to begin with. I'm not saying quote £5 on a £15 job but if you turn up at a job that you're not sure about then, personally, I'd go in on the lower end of my price range. If I'm cheap then so be it, can always up it later, can't knock on the door later and drop you're price when you've missed it. 

Class the first year as your apprenticeship, both in technique and learning how to run your business. This is why I think people that post about pricing advice, not knocking them, won't learn anywhere near as quickly as those that "go for it"

Anyway to quote Mr Garwood, pub time 

Share this post


Link to post
Tango
35 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Contrary to a lot on here I think you're better off pricing jobs, in the early days, at a level to secure them.

<snip>

You never will learn anything, including techniques, if you don't secure work to begin with

 

I got a monster of a house that I do every 6 weeks. 3 floors (G,1,2) and tons of windows plus 4 skylights. Easily a £40 job - maybe even £50. She was my first customer lol and I went with your strategy and quoted her £15. I could have easily said £20 and still got it but was desperate for the work and more importantly, practice of 2nd floor windows with the pole fully extended. I learnt something from that one though, the thought of that extra £5 note seemed to deter them from having me that same day whereas I like to work the same day as i knock the door so when canvassing and wanting the work that day i literally say £10 to anything within reason.

 

I figured i can up prices or drop custys as i start getting better work / more confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer

At the end of the day you got the work, you are under selling yourself though. I appreciate you're very keen to secure work but you have to get a reasonable price. If you think it's a £40/£50 job and you were desperate for the job then, personally I'd have gone in at £35. If they baulked then ask them where they saw it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
Posted (edited)
On 17/05/2019 at 12:32, Tango said:

 

Yup, i got one i definitely should have charged £25 for but stupidly said £15 just to get the work. Massive house with windows and skylights everywhere. Yes I'm an idiot but you live and learn!


No doubt were you are in the UK dictates the minimum charge, but a £10 minimum in my area wouldn't see you getting much work on the smaller houses for example, but you are charging lets say £10 for a 2 bed house and you shoot yourself in the foot on a £25+ by underpricing by almost half makes no sense at all it will take years to get the price were it should be 

Edited by Iron Giant

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.