Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upto 50 customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I just explained that the real results will show in 10-14 weeks and she was fine about it.

Dunno about mistakes as this was my first, but i did make 1 error i wont make again, i did both sides then realised i should have done risge tiles first lol, coz when i did the ridge tiles it all fell onto the tiles again.

The best tip, ive had from experienced roof cleaners is, scrqpe it all down to the bottom 2 tiles and vacuum it off the bottom 2 tiles rather than just clog the gutter or cover the ground with the moss.
How many years do they reckon on it staying clear? This roof I did, I clean the windows and I cant help noticing a couple of little bits of moss id missed, so i presume it will grow back from this. Lucky its bone dry round here, hopefully last some years.

did it off a ladder as I wanted the job and didn’t t think they’d take me up had a applied the scaffold hire
Hey James - ladders are fine to start but you'll find your calfs will ACHE and you may get some nasty hamstring cramps around 2AM if you keep that up...safety and comfort demand a tower - or very least a ladder step (search ebay) for £20'ish you hook it over your ladder rungs to create a small level platform to stand on (game changer ? )

But I really recommend a self erecting mobile scaff tower ? (one man single depths - to fit easily around most house types)

HSS (other hire companies exist)  do tower hires for around £70 for the WEEK (delivered/collected) - you'll feel (and be) safer and no more middle of the night cramps jolting you out of your bed and dancing around the house ?

HSE stipulate if the job takes more than 30mins you need a different access method than a ladder ✌️   

Last edited by a moderator:
How many years do they reckon on it staying clear? This roof I did, I clean the windows and I cant help noticing a couple of little bits of moss id missed, so i presume it will grow back from this. Lucky its bone dry round here, hopefully last some years.
Depending on the surrounding trees, as a general rule ill be advising 3yrs but will be offering a re-application of biocide on 24months at an agreed price when i do the job, so then i know ill have repeat business coming in the future and it will be nice easy money ??

Similar to my gutter vacuuming policy, i always offer a repeat annual vacuuming at an agreed at the time price

Hey James - ladders are fine to start but you'll find your calfs will ACHE and you may get some nasty hamstring cramps around 2AM if you keep that up...safety and comfort demand a tower - or very least a ladder step (search ebay) for £20'ish you hook it over your ladder rungs to create a small level platform to stand on (game changer ? )

But I really recommend a self erecting mobile scaff tower ? (one man single depths - to fit easily around most house types)

HSS (other hire companies exist)  do tower hires for around £70 for the WEEK (delivered/collected) - you'll feel (and be) safer and no more middle of the night cramps jolting you out of your bed and dancing around the house ?

HSE stipulate if the job takes more than 30mins you need a different access method than a ladder ✌️   
Thats great advice and can you grab a link for the platform your on about please ?

How many years do they reckon on it staying clear?
If you remove/kill all the moss...I always say it will take as long as it has taken to get to it's current state from the house's original build date (unless anything material has changed - more/less overhanging vegetation/more houses built with now mossy roofs etc) most owners know the age of the property and it's often measured in decades.

FYI moss spores drift on the wind from neighbouring properties/trees etc (so nothing much can prevent it) landing on a male/female fruiting equivalent which is then fertilised and may then start to grow, but will start slowly and typically takes a long time to get 'spread' the present coverage etc

PS the grey/black (Aspergillus Negris) 'staining' will come back within a few years but does no real harm so if the custy is concerned with the roofs aesthetics a 3-5yr (?) bio respray should keep it 'stain free' and each time 'wackamole' stylee any moss spores just taking root - but spraying is hours vs days of scraping so everyones a winner...  

Thats great advice and can you grab a link for the platform your on about please ?
check out Mi Tower or Mi Tower+ (Boss and others do similar)you can erect them single handed safely in 10 mins (thou I take 15-20 ? ) no tools etc are needed, they just 'slot' together. The + is a wider platform to stand on and will take 2 blokes stood closely and will go higher (8M vs 6M) - they pack down small enough to keep them in a LWB, ready to break out whenever needed or trailer or pack/unpack for each job...

You will not go back to ladders once you've defected to the dark side...

https://bbfscaffoldingtowers.co.uk/collections/boss-clima-camlock-agr-tower-0-85m-x-2-5m/products/boss-clima-camlock-agr-tower-0-8m-x-2-5m-4-2m-working-height-61102200

I have the 10m one of the above, bought it last year when it was cheaper. 

Regarding new customers, last week a bizarre thing happened in a posh area I do. Woman came over to see me regarding window cleaning. A big company does the area but the workers have been taken short cuts and have now been found out. I have got her now and the woman across the road and I only have one customer on a very long street. That's the problem large companies have relying on young lads to do the cleaning who want to do it as quick as they can. Might be interesting to see how many more I pick up as I'm going to be advertising in that area soon. In two minds because I don't want to be inundated with work.

Yeah legs ached a little, and shoulders and abs lol! 

I don’t plan on doing any more any time soon, next one that asks I’ll be guesstimating at a massive hourly rate as the work is much harder than windows . I’d say harder than FSG  cleans too. Good to know that you can get a tower at that price though.I’ve got a HSS down the road

Cheers

Why advertise if you don't want work ?
I would like work in same area so you can always turn new enquiries down. I'm heading for 15 days just doing windows. Last week I helped my mate fit a kitchen at £200 a day. Very hard work and constant hassle with all the tools we needed. I can make that cleaning windows with no hassle. We need variety to understand which way to go. 

Not had an update for a while.

Found myself totally full on every round now excluding Holt, ive passed on all my Fakenham work (60 customers over 2 days) to a mate ive helped start up, so i can have 2days spare for add ons.

Ive started turning people away now due to being full, which feels oddly satisfying, bought a new toy powerup 3d reel for xmas to me.

Xmas tips are coming in nicely, over £150 so far. Am off over xmas from 22nd  Dec till 4th Jan, will be doing my usual food bank donation this year again.

Yr1 £30

Yr2 £60

this year £100

Thats it really, happy xmas one & all.

I would like work in same area so you can always turn new enquiries down. I'm heading for 15 days just doing windows. Last week I helped my mate fit a kitchen at £200 a day. Very hard work and constant hassle with all the tools we needed. I can make that cleaning windows with no hassle. We need variety to understand which way to go. 
I'm the opposite....I don't want variety in my working life...

I want a simple,straightforward,flexible business with short days,minimal stress and a good wedge so I can enjoy my leisure/family time more....

I've got that balance just right at the moment....

Back