Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whats The Going Rate Then?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

In my opinion having terms and conditions would be a contributing factor to not picking up enof leads , remember we are knocking on there doors who in there right mind would batter themselves into a strict agreement , they only met you 5 mins all of a sudden they want to use you , verbally agree that monthly or 2 monthly sounds good then you put this contract In front what happens next "ill call you back" some people will just sign anything so I ain't saying its impossible but put it this way I would exclude it and maybe hand them it after the first clean but a toned down version just explaining how you work,

to be honest the terms and cond dont make much difference, i still get the not today brigade but its there so i know im picking up reliable customers. some ppl think if they say ok then get one clean thats it. this way they dont have to pay the one off clean which is norm 3 times the price of a single clean on 4 weeks. hence the min 3 cleans. ive been had before this way. one person i quoted them 50 quid for a one off and then they said ok ill have 4 weekly as its only 12 pounds. after that one clean they cancelled and i lost out. so i always have those terms and cond to back me up and keep the players and losers away.

I know what you are saying been there before , all we want are customers who want. Regular window cleaner but unfortunately its sometimes human nature to try and get things as cheap as possible , I used to hand over novels to customers don't one would read, minimum 3 cleans you still get the ones who changed there mind for a one off then canceled after first or mass cancelations on the 3rd , I have tryed almost every tactic under the sun ill tell you the best one do away with all the terms and cons and minimum this or extremely high one off prices, simply stick to a highe price for first cleans maybe 1.5-2 cleans should be possible just say its our first clean price if and only if you are happy you can continue on your Default frequency, the price increase will filter out idiots and people won't feel backed in a corner

to be honest the terms and cond dont make much difference, i still get the not today brigade but its there so i know im picking up reliable customers. some ppl think if they say ok then get one clean thats it. this way they dont have to pay the one off clean which is norm 3 times the price of a single clean on 4 weeks. hence the min 3 cleans. ive been had before this way. one person i quoted them 50 quid for a one off and then they said ok ill have 4 weekly as its only 12 pounds. after that one clean they cancelled and i lost out. so i always have those terms and cond to back me up and keep the players and losers away.
what i do now mate is just glass for 1st 2 cleans i only do frames on the 3rd clean that way you havent had yer pants down by one off custys;)

That's a tactic I used to use to I actually used to point at it and say those parts will come off next time, but overall charging more is the way forward do the best you can if its a one off it ain't so bad

It's all about breaking them in end of the day so whatever works for u!

I charge extra for all first cleans as I would for one-off's to cover the extra time it takes. That way I'm not out of pocket if they decide to mess me about with the frequency of the clean. Also if they then decide for whatever reason not to have the work done so often I raise the prices accordingly. If ppl don't like it then they can always find someone else. Simples :rolleyes:

I charge minimum £20 for first clean or double whatever comes out the most. people normally understand the first clean is more work. Only done this with people who contact me, haven't canvassed for about 4 years so a bit out of touch think I might go out for a couple of evenings to see if I can still do it. Never used terms and conditions I think if someone called at my house out of the blue and stated all that I would be put all. Most will decent people will have you monthly and only mess about when money is tight and paying an experienced canvasser like pdale would hopefully spot them as it would come out of his bottom line when they cancel after the first clean. Most will canvass for 2x cleans which I think is quite reasonable when you think about the work that is required

i have to be the most unluckiest person on the planet i think, coz canvassing is no different to fliers IMO. i knocked about 300 doors today, made a note of the 31 that were out and i never got one yes, i noticed a few had dirty windows and i looked at there sills before i knocked. no sign of a windy about. i had one old deer say ill call you when the weather gets better, i said would you like a quote now so you know what it will be. this quote will be valid for 2 weeks as my prices are going up in march. she said noo thank you i will take your card and give you a call in the week maybe. ( MAYBE ) that gave it away.

the rest said no and shut the door in my face. knocked the confidence a bit but i kept on. i got talking to some old bloke who i gave a card to as hes not in the area i clean. he said he would call me today, no call yet lol. so 269 homes who had ppl in and not one :angry: yes. waste of my time there

hey half the homes i went to said no cold calling or salesmen, neighbour hood watch area the police will be called. i still knocked lmao.i think my sales lines need improving tho, i did a few homes with. hello sorry to bother you, i was just doing your neighbours windows and i was wondering if you needed a window cleaner. they poke there head out look about and say no. another line was good morning, sorry to bother you. i was wondering if you needed a window cleaner /emoticons/smile.png NOOOO! last line was good morning i was wondering if you needed a window cleaner. NOOOOO lol if i said free sainsburys voucher for 50 Kwid off they wud say no. or a free lotto ticket. dunno what im going to do.

uhhh why no knocking allowed?

I shouldn't be saying this, as a flyer printer, but I'm also a former window cleaner and I think you get better results from canvassing - you're seeing them face-to-face, you can give them an on the spot quote, and you've started to build a relationship with them from the off.

If you use a canvasser, I would recommend that you discuss your usual method of pricing a house with them and allow them to give a provisional quote, and let them give the householder the impression that they actually work with you so the householder thinks they're speaking to the window cleaner and not just to a salesman. Of course, that does also mean your canvasser knows how much the jobs are worth, and they're not likely to accept 25% as payment - personally I'd be asking for double what the job's worth, because you'll be making that every month from now on thanks to me!

If you're canvassing yourself, first of all, go in with the right attitude - you're not ASKING them for something, you're OFFERING them something. Don't go in feeling that you're begging for work, like you need them, because then they'll just say no and you'll feel like ****! Instead, you're there to offer them the opportunity to become a customer of the best window cleaner in the area, who will do them the best job at the best price - they need you! And if they're stupid enough to say no to you, that's their loss, not yours! Smile and move on.

Also, always give the impression that you are an established reliable window cleaner, no matter how new you are. "I just wondered if you needed a window cleaner" sounds like you're just starting up, so for all they know you could be someone who found themselves on the dole, wants to make some quick cash, but as soon as you find another job you'll disappear again. I used to say "Hi, we've been cleaning windows in the area for a while and now we're extending the round into your estate, can we give you a quote for cleaning your windows?"

Oh ... and leaving a flyer even with those who say no means they've got the chance to call you after they've gone back inside and changed their mind ... or after the wife has got home and said to the husband: "I've been waiting for a window cleaner to knock for months, what did you send him away for?"

If you need any flyers printing ... /emoticons/wink.png

hahaha PLUG PLUG WE LOVE FLYERS lmao /emoticons/tongue.png im done with knocking doors, my soul is destroyed now.

Look on the positive side jdmw as so they say fresh air and exercise is good for you /emoticons/wink.png

true smurf. im going to try getting the rich people in the areas addresses and post them a special promotion and they qualify for it lol always try un tried things i do. i used dating sites aswell a while back and gained 6 new custys lol

Always good to try new thing out as never know unless you try /emoticons/wink.png

OK so you have had a big knock back today but just keep cracking on with letting ppl know what services you can offer. It's just a numbers game Simples /emoticons/smile.png

true smurf. im going to try getting the rich people in the areas addresses and post them a special promotion and they qualify for it lol always try un tried things i do. i used dating sites aswell a while back and gained 6 new custys lol
Were you really looking for custies, or just really bad at dating? lol /emoticons/wink.png

Are you certAin you got a contact rate of 85% I never had that in my life nor have I heard if you speak to 270 people you should defo get 10 names and numbers , are you waving your contract how was it this bad ?

....i knocked about 300 doors today, made a note of the 31 that were out and i never got one yes...
Then you are doing something wrong.

Without being disrespectful could it be image? Are you dressed smart? Without knowing what you look like, do you look scary? Or look as if you are sussing the place out?

I have canvassed with someone who has a problem as he just as that look of being a bruiser. On the other hand i have canvassed for someone who has problems because he looks young. Others have problems because lack of confidence is obvious as the customer opens the door. I have also seen some canvass in their work clothes, which is inappropriate.

nahhh i wore work clothes, dont see the point in giving them B.S saying i was in the area cleaning when i got shirt and tie on. who cleaning in there best gear ??? get real lol. they want someone who looks like they work. not someone who looks like they sherk lol.

a few houses had no cold calling but they never really complained about it and im guessing there kids and family members got them stickers for them.

there windows wasnt that dirty but i did leave them all a card to contact me if they changed there mind. the fact it was windy and nasty prob put them off. im looking for excuses now to why they said no. :rolleyes:

Back