Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whats The Going Rate Then?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

pdale's got some good advice, don't dismiss it so quickly - don't forget the reason you started this thread in the first place is because your canvassing hasn't worked so far, so it's worth listening to anyone who's had success!

Shirt & tie might be a bit too much, but rocking up in your work gear could still give the wrong impression. Canvassing is part of your job, but it's a different part and takes a different set of skills, so you need to approach it separately from your main work. People want to know you can work hard, but they also want to know you take pride - casually dropping in on them in your work clothes while you were there anyway says "I don't really need your business, I just thought I might as well give it a bash while I was here!"

Turning up looking smart-casual, with a neat notepad or clipboard in hand, looks professional and shows that you take your business seriously.

oh i had a note pad in a folder with my business name on the front etc. when i said work wear i meant i work in trouser which are black, navy blue tshirt with a black fleece on top to keep me warm. i think i look very casual tbh. if someone like me came to my door and someone in a shirt and tie id not answer the door if i saw them in a shirt and tie coz they are a typical salesman, where as a bloke in black trousers and black fleece and nice hair etc looks more appealing to me. idont wear trainers either i have black boots which are clean and tidy and i clean them every night if theres dirty, im very anal over dirty boots lol. im normally the type of person who could chatter there way outta a bank robbery lol but tody i just got nooooo lol all my paper work is printed out nice and tidy and not hand written like most ppl. maybe the weather neever helped as it was gale force winds. ill try again one last shot on a nice sunny afternoon.

just wear joggers a hoody n bodywarmer like me /emoticons/smile.png no need to go in a shirt n tie **** that /emoticons/tongue.png

just be casual n normal

keep the shirt n tie for big business meetings only /emoticons/wink.png

nahhh i wore work clothes, dont see the point in giving them B.S saying i was in the area cleaning when i got shirt and tie on. who cleaning in there best gear ??? get real lol. they want someone who looks like they work. not someone who looks like they sherk lol.
I don't mean a shirt and tie, I just mean smart. Canvassing for window cleaning is more about selling yourself, than selling your services and first impressions count for alot. If you're knocking 300 houses and not getting one customer, there's something wrong, it's worth taking a look at everything and try a different approach.

going to try a different area, theres a housing estate just been built near me and there first time buyers, ill give them a go before another windy gets in there.

guess i shud bite the bullet and grow a pair of brazils and knock myself. just the thought of it makes me quiver lol
I was the same didnt wanna do it, But hey after a few doors it gets easier and you get a buzz from the ones that say yes

yeh they prob have a cleaner and hes behind knowing my luck, i know i dress smart because people comment on it, they say i dress to smart to be working. always got trousers and boots on as if i was going to the pub. maybe it was my wooly hat i was wearing lol

you would hope hes knocking on areas that dont have debt collecters going round , or he will end up been one trying to get his window money in lol.

ive done 10 years without collecting and its bliss

you would hope hes knocking on areas that dont have debt collecters going round , or he will end up been one trying to get his window money in lol.
ive done 10 years without collecting and its bliss
how you manage that?

customers pay on day or next month ....

some send cheques.....

theres a few i text day before and they leave money in the back garden.....

tbh i some times collect just before christmas but not always.

i do this but most always forget and i cant afford to wait till next month lol im in the shat as it is at the moment

lol.

its not easy been self employed window cleaner despite what ppl think

ive been doing it years and if u want to be rich this isnt the job

become a plumber.....!!!!!!

i never go round collecting, i trained my customers, its bank transfer cash on the day or cheques. if someone misses one payment i let them off but the 2nd time i go i want it all in full. never really had a problem. i just fire them a email or leave a letter saying how are you going to pay your window cleaning bill? i offer bank transfer or cheques and most always reply.

did manage to land a customer today /emoticons/biggrin.png WOOOOO HOOOOO from a knocked door. well wasnt a knocked door as such. i was walking up there path and they opened there door before i knocked. i said hi, just in the area cleaning and wondering if you needed a window cleaner /emoticons/smile.png and they said oh yes please, our last one stopped coming before xmas.

did manage to land a customer today /emoticons/biggrin.png WOOOOO HOOOOO from a knocked door. well wasnt a knocked door as such. i was walking up there path and they opened there door before i knocked. i said hi, just in the area cleaning and wondering if you needed a window cleaner /emoticons/smile.png and they said oh yes please, our last one stopped coming before xmas.
see it does happen sometimes....ha hayou should get a few more in the street if your regular

yano what im more worried bout. looking desperate begging for work. i know its a proven way to gain work ive read lots of info on line. but ive always looked at it this way, if people want a service they ring up themself without being pushed into it. not saying its wrong but i cant stand ppl knocking my door and calling my phone i get really nasty. /emoticons/happy.png
not necessarily people can be lazy, ive put leaflets out before and picked up the odd customer down a street then over the next few months ive had people coming out to me asking me to clean theres then proceed to tell me they've been after a window cleaner for ages even thow they had a flyer a month or 2 before. you just need to get knocking its not to bad once you get into it I use to be the same now I don't mind im always asking people. il even be on a night out with the misses and ask the pubs and resturants if they need a cleaner.

see it does happen sometimes....ha hayou should get a few more in the street if your regular
this was a street i do regular, one of the first streets i got when i set up. ill be there againt tomorrow to there windows and ill do there neighbours. my target is one customer a day now or lets say 5 a week and ill be happy.

Back