Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Aches and pains

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hello guys not been here for a while been trying to set up business I’m quite a fit lad with no health issues 

when I’ve been cleaning the windows day after day the aches I get in my shoulders and arms are killing me my back dose ache I’ve a decent belt around my back dose anyone know how to recover each day or take any vitamins please surely it can’t carry on like this regards david 

Hello guys not been here for a while been trying to set up business I’m quite a fit lad with no health issues 

when I’ve been cleaning the windows day after day the aches I get in my shoulders and arms are killing me my back dose ache I’ve a decent belt around my back dose anyone know how to recover each day or take any vitamins please surely it can’t carry on like this regards david 
If your aching it's most likely that you are standing to close to the building. 

Poor technique, grip, posture & inexperience

Vitamins won't help muscle fatigue, you need to hydrate and take on plenty of water and stretch if your in pain or possibly reconsider your career path.

I've been in a car accident and have more broken bones than PJJ's hot water posts and manage daily to do my job.

Go swimming, reassess your stance routine and posture, Also rock backwards and forwards on your heels and pivot which letting your whole body move when using a pole instead of just all arms 

Last edited by a moderator:
I suffer if I don't keep warm enough, I need a good outer layer to block a cold breeze. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to relieve aches and pains, could be worth a look.

Stretch out the shoulders every day, only takes a few minutes. A strong core is also key to combating aches and pains. Lots of exercises on you tube for this. Pilates is one of the better exercise routines.....

For the last couple of weeks I've had constant aching and soreness in my rib cage. It's strain In the intercostal muscles between the ribs. It's a delayed complication from surgery 2 years ago.

The only remedy is time. It can take up to 8 weeks to improve from what I've read.

Ive just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, i thought it was just the latest 'craze' illness that people that are just lazy diagnose themselves with.

But gotta be honest its a proper fker, im knackared all the time, by the time weve finished work for the day i ache like a bugger and am exhausted, 3 times last week i slept for an hr before eating my tea and was inbed by 7.30pm, i wake 4-5-6 times a night so sleep pattern is crackers.

Only advice Drs have given me is pain killers.

Apparently triggered by stress ???????

Ive never felt less stressed in my life!! Earning more, working less, good homelife, not stressed in the slightest so it baffles me where its popped up from, my money is on the fact im sure i had covid in Dec 2019 and i think its been triggered by low imune system from that

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, i thought it was just the latest 'craze' illness that people that are just lazy diagnose themselves with.

But gotta be honest its a proper fker, im knackared all the time, by the time weve finished work for the day i ache like a bugger and am exhausted, 3 times last week i slept for an hr before eating my tea and was inbed by 7.30pm, i wake 4-5-6 times a night so sleep pattern is crackers.

Ive never felt less stressed in my life!! Earning more, working less, good homelife, not stressed in the slightest so it baffles me where its popped up from, my money is on the fact im sure i had covid in Dec 2019 and i think its been triggered by low imune system from that
F..k it! What a blow. Just when you're really gaining momentum in your new business. Hopefully you'll be able to control it and ride through it.

Good luck.

Hi David , I don’t  know how long you have been using wfp but it’s unlike most other jobs and you are using a different set of muscles if you arnt a physical worker before window cleaning and Evan if you were it will take time to get used to it , I had a lot of neck pain from looking up for months when I started , try standing further away from the building if you can to reduce the angle , and use a longer pole , also the lighter poles and brushes will also help when working 8 hours a day , Ime sure given time things will settle down , not sure how old you are but Ime 59 and work 5 days a week doing it now when I started 22 years ago I struggled and was a lot younger then . 

Sorry to hear this , just do what you can and pace yourself , my mother in law has had it for over 20 years so I understand what you are dealing with .

As a generalised comment, if you work hard all day most days, you are going to be sore very frequently. 

The nature of muscle growth is the tearing of the muscle fibres and the regrowth grows more muscle. 

I've been doing this around 3 years now and have been busy for the last two and a half. 

I'm not a cafe dweller or a layby lout... I take maximum 30 minutes for lunch as my only break, I have a high flow pole setup so that I can work as fast as I can and still produce great results. Start at 9 and finish around 4.

Im not saying all this for any other reason apart from, your gonna hurt, it's the nature of the beast. 

If your a slow poke and have 4 houses a day your not gonna be as bad. 

My main aches are chest, forearms. 

For the chest it's the intercostal muscles (the muscles that join each rib to the other, i soak in a nice warm bath then apply voltarol as soon as I get out and I'm dry, works great. 

Forearms are generally over worked muscle/tennis elbow. When these flair up I ice them and then a bath then voltarol, but I also have sleeves made from tubigrip that place slight pressure on the forearms and that also works great for me. 

Beside plenty of water the only thing I do is a multi-vit each day

Hope this helps you like it helps me ??

You will get aches & pains soon after you start out. This is what I've found helps:

• Stand back from the window (so you're not straining your neck looking up)
  • Learn to water fed pole both left & right handed
  • Try not to grip the pole too tightly - take a 'relaxed' stance
  • Lighter poles (Extreme poles from Gardiner are the best if you can afford it)
  • Shorter poles for shop fronts/bungalows (eg: CLX-10 or SLX-8)
  • Electric reel

Look at the lighter poles & electric reel as an investment. NB: I assume you're using a van mount rather than lugging a backpack around....

Cheers guys ill be ok im sure, i WILL NOT let it beat me and i WILL NOT let it ruin what ive worked so hard to build.

The lad that works for me is a godsend and is doing more than he has to, to make my life as easy as possible (think hes after a fat xmas bonus lol).

Good family support is helping, the wife is going above and beyond to make home life easy as possible.

Still determined to make 2022 a bigger bank balance than 2021 ??

Might the episode you had, when we were down, trigger it as you were very stressed then.

Fairly certain with your attitude you'll find a way to manage it mate.
That was a bit stressy tbf but its been ongoing for longer than that, id just been putting off the Drs for well over a year even though the wife kept saying i had to go. 

HWCS said:
That was a bit stressy tbf but its been ongoing for longer than that, id just been putting off the Drs for well over a year even though the wife kept saying i had to go. 
Im a bloke ill just grit my teeth and smash through it 

I’m 51 and I do Yoga (not for everyone) every single night straight after work. This has really helped me stay active and fitter. 
For me, work is a workout, and I have a Whey protein shake afterwards to keep the muscular strength in my arms maintained. 

just my pennies worth, mate. 

hope it helps!

Hi David , I don’t  know how long you have been using wfp but it’s unlike most other jobs and you are using a different set of muscles if you arnt a physical worker before window cleaning and Evan if you were it will take time to get used to it , I had a lot of neck pain from looking up for months when I started , try standing further away from the building if you can to reduce the angle , and use a longer pole , also the lighter poles and brushes will also help when working 8 hours a day , Ime sure given time things will settle down , not sure how old you are but Ime 59 and work 5 days a week doing it now when I started 22 years ago I struggled and was a lot younger then . 
Thanks I’m 43 still fit for my age it’s all new I’m currently doing 12 hour shifts manual work but will get use to it

Back