Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Burnout / coping with burnout

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ive had to build my round up, so kind of at the point that the month is as full as I like it, on the whole probably tallys up to 16 days a month working the whole day-leave house 7.30- 6.30, including travel time, setting car up for next day, wash scrims. I usaully only make just above £100 a day. So the plan is to try and get some bigger houses £50-60 that take 2-3 hours, couple of them a day, would be good. My wife is going to help me out when required, (she used to be a commercial windy) if Im falling behind, or got bigger days on. Winter will be here, with shorter days, which will cause the work to spread out over more days, which im kind of looking forward too, as get a bit fed up working all day, come home to 3 boys that are getting ready for bed.

There are a couple of streets that I have that I would prefer to give to a part timer to do, but they would have to be "sub-contratacted" with their own insurance and take responsibility for themselves, theyd get an hourly rate, which would go through as a business expense. It gives someone some work. Ive had a young guy help me out in the past on this basis, which worked out fine, he also helps out a friend with their round.

Its all about a work/life balance, I think im doing alright, but need some better paying custys with big houses, that require less moving around and packing/unpacking equipment. I have a friend who is a windy and he has some really good work that pay him £50 an hour approx:whistle:, has a set of diy ladders and works trad with a small puddle jumper car and works 3 days a week roughly. Makes me jealous, but inspires me that there is good work out there, somewhere, so thats the dream:love: Never feel burned out again, with achy arms, from scrubbing all day. Work three hours then home for lunch:) anyone for tennis:rofl:

One thing I am planning to do, to ease the workload is to buy a backpack......just to be used for the awkward and dangerous windows. I find that its these type of windows that really slow you down....hence, work backs up
One thing I am planning to do, to ease the workload is to buy a backpack......just to be used for the awkward and dangerous windows. I find that its these type of windows that really slow you down....hence, work backs up
What sort of stuff are you planning on keeping in that backpack mate?

I tend to do only one job a day... when I want... that's more than enough for me.../emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pure water tolish
Lol, just realised what kind of backpack you're talking about.:oops:

....hang on a minute, does this mean we're going to lose you to the dark side???:mad:

You'll be making whiney comments about just how dangerous ladders are, and that its only a matter of time until we fall off and die.:rolleyes:

/emoticons/biggrin.png

Indeed as there is nothing wrong with ladders but if you fall from one then you will probably die /emoticons/biggrin.png

Lol, just realised what kind of backpack you're talking about.:oops:
....hang on a minute, does this mean we're going to lose you to the dark side???:mad:

You'll be making whiney comments about just how dangerous ladders are, and that its only a matter of time until we fall off and die.:rolleyes:

/emoticons/biggrin.png
Lol....you were thinking of my other backpack, crammed full with homebrew. Its a nice backpack.

No, not going over to the dark side. I dont think my custies would let me. I just wanted a quicker way of dealing with some of the dodgy windows i have, or those i just cant get to. For example, i have one customer who insists that i clean a large window that is smack bang over her conny roof. Its almost impossible to do with a pole, takes ages andlooks **** when i have finished it, but she still Insists. This is when i would use the backpack.

Other than that, I will be remaining a true tradder. I like trad.

Indeed as there is nothing wrong with ladders but if you fall from one then you will probably die /emoticons/biggrin.png
I can't argue with that smurf, but with some of the talk recently its been made out that falling is inevitable, when it doesn't need to be.

Lol....you were thinking of my other backpack, crammed full with homebrew. Its a nice backpack.
No, not going over to the dark side. I dont think my custies would let me. I just wanted a quicker way of dealing with some of the dodgy windows i have, or those i just cant get to. For example, i have one customer who insists that i clean a large window that is smack bang over her conny roof. Its almost impossible to do with a pole, takes ages andlooks **** when i have finished it, but she still Insists. This is when i would use the backpack.

Other than that, I will be remaining a true tradder. I like trad.
I'm still planning on a trolley or backpack of some kind as Im fed up of struggling too. But the trad is the way for me too. One thing that has really made me a lot quicker is the 10rung pointer ladder I'm using now. I find it so quick to move about due to its size and weight, and because I don't use up as much energy shifting it, I can work quicker later on in the day too.

I think it's all about choosing the most appropriate method/tools for a particular job in hand. So managing and trying to reduce risks is also an important part of our job too. Myself I still think ladders are a useful tool for the type of work I do when required. After saying that personally I would not want to use them everyday now for cleaning windows but that's just me. /emoticons/wink.png

I can't argue with that smurf, but with some of the talk recently its been made out that falling is inevitable, when it doesn't need to be.

I'm still planning on a trolley or backpack of some kind as Im fed up of struggling too. But the trad is the way for me too. One thing that has really made me a lot quicker is the 10rung pointer ladder I'm using now. I find it so quick to move about due to its size and weight, and because I don't use up as much energy shifting it, I can work quicker later on in the day too.

This gutter clearing job just come through but I think I may need a longer ladder don't you :D

View attachment 2837

As per usual all downspouts are blocked aswell as the guttering as not been done for years... Kerching

For what I'm charging for that one that's why I only need to do one job a day now and then:)

Last edited by a moderator:
great post boar..just as i reached burn out...which is probably at a much lower point than some of you lot....but...i kinda did a runner from work yesterday....and went straight home to get some home jobs done which are a break in a way....

i painted the bathroom in white gloss....er.....when i say painted the bathroom....i mean painted..

.the lot...everything...including the ali handle on the door...

i have to do it now...as its the only time the bathroom is free from dripping water...all the windows open..so ..i went mad and got stuck in..its good to do something for me for a change...

my son was not amused...he came out for a shower and wanted to know how he could lock the door or use the handle..

:rolleyes:.he he he...

you are of course....not a good decorator unless you lean against a wall you have just painted...:whistle:

i am struggling to drop a few odd jobs now...i went yesterday for one but it was family time everyone home so ...i did a runner...will call back friday and try again...

off to sheffield to get the daughter moved out of her flat....oh aren't kids great..(gotta meet the inlaws:eek:)

Funny enough I was asked to quote to paint some facias etc aswell as the usual stuff I do. I had to refuse that one as I'm **** at painting too /emoticons/biggrin.png

I've had to start listening to my body instead of my head if it tells me I need a half day then I tend to do that instead of struggling on its counter productive, a day off or a half day then I'm ready to get back into it. I'm glad however others feel like this because i was beginning to think there was some thing wrong.

Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk

I feel like I need a month off..doing 2 jobs ain't good

will be worth it once I jack the driving in and not gonna work myself to death on the glass.

I could do with some big jobs really and have aa smurfy lifestyle. .lol

Must pick his brains how to get the big cleans (and how to do em
clear.png
)
clear.png

I think I've already given all my secrets away in previous posts. If I can do it anyone can /emoticons/wink.png

I feel like I need a month off..doing 2 jobs ain't goodwill be worth it once I jack the driving in and not gonna work myself to death on the glass.

I could do with some big jobs really and have aa smurfy lifestyle. .lol

Must pick his brains how to get the big cleans (and how to do em
clear.png
)
clear.png

Back