Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gaining new customers.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5762
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

@Bongofish what you say is correct in theory but at the same time it appears as though you may be new to this as most experienced window cleaners will likely echo what has been said by @wgwindows regarding walk ups.

we have many hundreds of clients and I can report what’s it’s like to have 5, 50 and 500 plus clients on regular subscription.

whilst there is always variables; on balance, most walk ups tend not to be regular and consistent clients. It does make sense to clean them on the day but when you’re getting busy and working hard to keep up on work; you send your day before sms and 5 out of the 15 clients say not today when you could have got in other clients, your view will likely be different because you will feel a bit taken advantage of.

had it loads of times. They agree to regular and then f you off next visit and you never hear from them again. On the day you worked late and hard to make a great first impression and it’s likely they just told you what they know window cleaners want to hear. 

What myself and many other experienced cleaners I know experience is that the few limit your service to the negative of the many good clients who end up waiting a little longer because the messers don’t have the courtesy to be forthcoming with their honest intent and hence back up our services at times  

my staff are instructed to conduct no on the day Cleaning full stop. Yes it will be a negative to some who are honest but on a statistical basis, the on the day clients mess us the most. Over around 750 clients we have recorded how and when they were acquired and the on the day are factually the worst in our business  

If you really need a service you don’t wait until one turns up on your street. You get on google and search or ask someone for a recommendation. My personal experience has been that walk ups are usually clients who think they can get a good price because you’re already there and they seem to want to take advantage of the newer cleaners who perhaps need the work more.

as I said there is exceptions and there will be regional variations I’m sure but I can’t agree with the advice wgwindows has said enough. 
if I want a window cleaner every 6 weeks for the foreseeable future what is the rush to have them done now? You’ll also find the best clients will be very flexible and understanding. Many saying things like when your next here just fit me in. Or I’m happy to wait until ...

you may or may not agree but come a year or two I believe your view is likely to be a little different to walk ups. 
the clients who pro-actively seek you out are usually the best. Ie get in touch without any leaflet l, canvassing or prompt. 
That’s funny we find walk ups turn into good customers on 99% of the time . 

That’s funny we find walk ups turn into good customers on 99% of the time . 
You’re right. That’s quite the opposite. Perhaps there is a connection to the demographics of the area such as age etc or how much people move from area to area.

i should add that my experience is related areas which do see a fair amount of movement in terms of where people live but it does take into account a variety of ages.

i believe you are well established. It may be the case that your conduct and possibly reputation deters the time wasters perhaps. I feel that my prior lack of experience allowed the time wasters through the net and after some time you notice the key indicators to look for.

“ill start with 6 weeks and see how it goes” was and still is a classic warning. ?

You’re right. That’s quite the opposite. Perhaps there is a connection to the demographics of the area such as age etc or how much people move from area to area.

i should add that my experience is related areas which do see a fair amount of movement in terms of where people live but it does take into account a variety of ages.

i believe you are well established. It may be the case that your conduct and possibly reputation deters the time wasters perhaps. I feel that my prior lack of experience allowed the time wasters through the net and after some time you notice the key indicators to look for.

“ill start with 6 weeks and see how it goes” was and still is a classic warning. ?
Honestly the walk ups for me have been good too, onto my second clean for most of them now and the first ones to pay. 

Also why are do you do 6 week cleans. Like you say I am new to the game but quickly work out what works and doesn't and 6 week cleaning did not work for me at all. I started off offering 4/6/8 week cleans and quickly realised after 2 customers said 6 weekly that would be a pain in the ass for a monthly rota. So now everyone is 4 weekly and if someone wants 8 weekly they get charged more as it's not a regular income for me. 

After over 21years you do get used to spotting the potential messers , any hesitation when explaining we work in all weathers and work all year not just summer months is an instant “ I dont think we are the firm for you reply “, we do get the occasional ones that slip through the net but any issues and it’s an instant dump , we also charge double for first cleans unless they are a relative of an existing customer  or someone I know personally this also sorts out the messers and again if one dies slip through the net at least we have still earned reasonable money from the job .

After over 21years you do get used to spotting the potential messers , any hesitation when explaining we work in all weathers and work all year not just summer months is an instant “ I dont think we are the firm for you reply “, we do get the occasional ones that slip through the net but any issues and it’s an instant dump , we also charge double for first cleans unless they are a relative of an existing customer  or someone I know personally this also sorts out the messers and again if one dies slip through the net at least we have still earned reasonable money from the job .
Your properly pre qualifying the clients then really. 
do you mind me just clarifying something. You said 99% of walk ups are good.

is that 99% of the people that come up and ask you or 99% of the one that you take on following your discussion to confirm they are a viable client.

it could be a point to assist many on here because it may be due to how well you understand the business and know how to discuss things with people. 

when I have said most walk ups are not viable long term I refer to the total who approach is overall. 

Your properly pre qualifying the clients then really. 
do you mind me just clarifying something. You said 99% of walk ups are good.

is that 99% of the people that come up and ask you or 99% of the one that you take on following your discussion to confirm they are a viable client.

it could be a point to assist many on here because it may be due to how well you understand the business and know how to discuss things with people. 

when I have said most walk ups are not viable long term I refer to the total who approach is overall. 
Most who approach us whilst working turn into good customers , there are always ones who think you are going to pay them for the privilege  of Cleaning there windows ???, 99% of the ones we take on are good customers , I always give them a business card and quote by seeing there properties , some ask for a card and you never hear from them again at a rough guess I would say that 7-8 out of 10 that approach us turn into customers , some are one off jobs like plastic cleans, pressure washing , gutter vaccing, softwashing etc as they see the van and come and ask about other services we offer . Ime a great believer in first impressions I sometimes get a gut feeling  someone is going to be a pain customer and usually Ime right if I get that feeling by the way they are I generally say sorry we are to busy to take on any more work at this time , ware  I live is a close knit community and everyone knows everyone else , so you soon know who to avoid . 

@Bongofish what you say is correct in theory but at the same time it appears as though you may be new to this as most experienced window cleaners will likely echo what has been said by @wgwindows regarding walk ups.
@Omega It could just be demographics, but I haven’t had any walk ups that have turned into a reliable customer. They see you working, want their windows cleaned because they’re in a state, and then aren’t interested after that. I had one end of last week where I clean a big flat. Next door neighbour comes out, wants a price for her and the other neighbour there, I told them and then they want it cheaper because you’re already there. No point because I don’t let myself get bartered with my prices, and next time when they end up messing me about I might end up with only one job there at the cheaper price I agreed to. The only walk ups I’ve had that have lasted is when I have my shirt or jacket with my work logo on and have been approached when doing something else - usually the school run or at the supermarket after I’ve finished for the day.

@Bongofish for cleaning I find 6-weekly is the most popular by far. I offer 4,6 or 8 weekly. I have a few 8 weekly’s but not many. I do have  some 4-weekly, but that is their choice. I find with a lot of people those 4-weeks/ one month goes by very quickly, and as the weather starts to change they seem to get a bit fed up with it - almost a bit resentful of it. Horses for courses of course, and whatever suits you and your business will be best.

@Pjj yep “I’ll start with 6 weeks and see how it goes” is a classic ??‍♂️.

Last edited:
You need to deliver on your promises at the outset do the best job you can and be reliable this will help build up your rep, these are two things that have helped me succeed,  a good reputation can be built fast using Fb and getting custys to leave a review on your page, I get almost every job I quote because I have a longstanding rep in my local area, some new jobs I am quoting £1-1.50 higher and still getting every quote

I would offer 1-2 cleaning cycles and that would be it offering 4,6,8 is just madness either set off at 4 weekly and offer 8 to those who want it or start at 5 weekly and charge £2 upwards extra on every job

For domestic we only offer 4 or 8 weekly anything else is a one off and would be 3-4 x the normal price we will do stuff like that if it suites us and have the time  but won’t make a special visit to do them ,sometimes for an extra half an hour at the end of the day it’s worth doing .

Latest Posts

Back