Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder climbs i don't think about

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You can place as many cones out as you want, but it simply isn't possible to cover all bases up to 100 metres, a partially sighted guy with a white stick who lives near a job I do see's the hose every time and steps over it, a brightly coloured hose on a pavement isn't hard to spot at all, neither is someone with with a sign written van and working in a street put them altogether and it doesn't take Einstein to work things out it just needs common sense from the general public

The employer of this author's post should have provided adequate training along with anti-slip devices and ladder mitts for the ladder to be used as required, rather than sending people out to crack on as they see fit, such as pulling ladders up on to a balcony and I can only assume you are using ladders on a balcony to reach higher windows, some H&S been disregarded by your employer here 

200.gif

Well that put the cat among the pigeons ? 

Can't say i have, just had a little google. might put the question to the boss next time i snap a run. These titan ladders only tend to last a couple of years before the bottom run gets worn out and snaps off.
It's called a rung lol.

Why **** about with ladders when there are safer ways to do it.

I was trad for 26 years and wfp is a game changer.

All these idiots showing what silly angles they have their ladders and the risks they take with their lives isn't good.

Doesn't make you a hard man it just makes you look an idiot .

No fun falling from a ladder as I proved 2 weeks ago when I broke a plant pot with my head falling headfirst from gutter height and I thought the ladder angle was fine.

The pictures in the original post did make me twitch! Especially the one where it seems only one side of the ladder is touching the sill. Im ok to admit it, nothing to prove! Funnily enough, for all the risky angles, setups etc I used to use with the ladders, the one that was finally my "downfall" was on straight even ground. It was friday afternoon and I was tired from a weeks work and just set it up wrong. It just takes one slip. Whereas one slip with a waterfed pole and you maybe have to buy a new section

I don't want to get into a bunfight on ladders, heck I did four years of trad before I converted but like anyone with a bit of experience I certainly know that adrenaline is brown. ?

One of my customers used to have her windows and other things done by a jack of all trades type of guy, one day he fell off his ladder whilst painting someones fascia, not a big fall, but the people came home and found him dead. ?

It's called a rung lol.
Sorry i  didnt realise literacy was an important part of my job... guess i should have studied harder back at school.

No fun falling from a ladder as I proved 2 weeks ago when I broke a plant pot with my head falling headfirst from gutter height and I thought the ladder angle was fine.
 What were you doing on a ladder at gutter height if your wfp?

The employer of this author's post should have provided adequate training along with anti-slip devices and ladder mitts for the ladder to be used as required, rather than sending people out to crack on as they see fit, such as pulling ladders up on to a balcony and I can only assume you are using ladders on a balcony to reach higher windows, some H&S been disregarded by your employer here 

I did get ladder handling training when i started, but no we dont have an anti slip mat in the car, not sure i would even bother with one if it was, if i think something might be slippery i will just get my partner to foot. Ladder mitts are in the car, but only really use them on freshly painted houses, other than that i dont like them because i dont feel as stable.

We also have a 20ft wfp and a portable resin filter that hooks up to a tap for the ones that are stupid to get to on a ladder

Everyone that trads knows what they should and shouldnt do, if i ever didnt want to do something, my boss would never penalize me for it. I decide every climb whether or not to do it and if im happy i will go up

I think there is some H&S ignored by both parties tbh, just think you gotta use your common sense as to what you do and dont do

Why **** about with ladders when there are safer ways to do it.

Why were you not using a gutter vac instead of taking a risk using a ladder?

It's a safer way of doing it...

Personally I do use signs when crossing public areas, but the trip hazard doesn’t change the fact it’s still a lot safer than ladders. If it does become a issue, folk suing over it and getting easy payouts, then maybe we’ll need to move towards trolleys more than van mounts. Slower, unfortunately, but still a lot safer than going up and down ladders. 
Agree it being safer, but always appears that WFP guys always have a dig at people because they are Trad as if it is a crime doing it the "old fashioned proper way" which requires perhaps more skill. (Helmet on ready for incoming).

It's nothing to do with being clever or brave, it's just what im used to doing, and climbs like this don't bother me. 

You're using the ladder in an unsafe manner - it should bother you.

One day you WILL come a cropper and i have to wonder if you'll still be wearing the "doesn't bother me" badge of honour when you end up in hospital via the back of an ambulance?

You're using the ladder in an unsafe manner - it should bother you.

One day you WILL come a cropper and i have to wonder if you'll still be wearing the "doesn't bother me" badge of honour when you end up in hospital via the back of an ambulance?
I appreciate when using the ladder at an angle onto the sill to combat an unlevel floor, it could be dangerous, lean to much or stand the wrong side and it will twist. 

But using the ladder into the corner of a window recess and onto the external wall, its not going to tip unless your hanging off the wrong side, worst case is the bottom will slip if the grounds not good, but then footing it is fine. I would say its actualy better than going strait onto a window, because at least you can still hold onto the ladder with one hand if you need to, instead of using your knees to hold onto the top when you've got to reach up.

I appreciate when using the ladder at an angle onto the sill to combat an unlevel floor, it could be dangerous, lean to much or stand the wrong side and it will twist. 

But using the ladder into the corner of a window recess and onto the external wall, its not going to tip unless your hanging off the wrong side, worst case is the bottom will slip if the grounds not good, but then footing it is fine. I would say its actualy better than going strait onto a window, because at least you can still hold onto the ladder with one hand if you need to, instead of using your knees to hold onto the top when you've got to reach up.
3 points of contact.. does that mean 2 feet and a knee???

Agree it being safer, but always appears that WFP guys always have a dig at people because they are Trad as if it is a crime doing it the "old fashioned proper way" which requires perhaps more skill. (Helmet on ready for incoming).
Ohh no mate, apart from some harmless teasing I personally don’t want to have a go at someone for how they work and I’m sure a good number of others on here feel the same. I have a good number of trad cleaners I’m friends with. We have these same back and forths but it’s only ever really in a friendly way, though at times it has been out of worry for them and the risk. 

Ohh no mate, apart from some harmless teasing I personally don’t want to have a go at someone for how they work and I’m sure a good number of others on here feel the same. I have a good number of trad cleaners I’m friends with. We have these same back and forths but it’s only ever really in a friendly way, though at times it has been out of worry for them and the risk. 

Mate.. you'll only learn the hard way. I remember years ago at work everyone was talking about how wonderful Steve Irwin (crocodile man) was. I sat there and said "one day he'll get himself killed because he doesn't recognise any limits". I was laughed at, told he knew what he was doing, risk assessments were done before filming etc etc... Couple of years later the guy was dead.

Same when you hear of a plane or helicopter go down.. the news always reports that the pilot was experienced with X years under their belt... The most common example is car drivers..  look how many of those have accidents every year - many of which are complacent idiots. 

What i'm saying is that we have this special word for things that happen which were not expected or foreseeable: Accident. History is littered with people dying because they suffered one. Don't be one of them mate.

If you're going to trad from a ladder use the right ladder for the job like a pointer ladder from Ramsey.I have a 3.5m double.They are purely designed for window cleaning and are one of the best out there.

I have been doing this for years and use to do some right crazy and stupid stuff but after a while you realise there are easy and safer ways now to carry out a job.

Trust me the customer or the guy you work for won't give two thoughts for you if you fall off and are out of work.He also as your employer has a duty of care.

If you are going to use ladders take precautions look at the ladder matrix for footing the ladder as well.

personally it isn't worth the risk there are safe and easier ways like wfp now to earn a living

I agree, i have to do much worse than this regularly, but this one job just paralleled the previous post i was refering to.

I dont regularly take photo's of things like this, its just what i was thinking about whilst cleaning.

My point is that i dont think/feel these ladder positions are that bad, im always perfectly happy on it like this, but i spend all day on it as im the tops man
Send me a photo looking up when you have fell off one day ? Don't risk it when you don't need to anymore, you may not work again if it happens.  I have fallen off ladders and it happens very quickly! 

Is an alternative to a ladder ‘reasonably practicable’? That’s what HSE will ask.

I quite enjoy ladder work when there’s no alternative. As an employer I’m reluctant to send guys up ladders.

You're right Mike , years on ladders, those angles I'd happily go up and do. I think there are a lot of newbies with vans who may find it disconcerting. But I've done both and can see the merits in both.

Mate.. you'll only learn the hard way. I remember years ago at work everyone was talking about how wonderful Steve Irwin (crocodile man) was. I sat there and said "one day he'll get himself killed because he doesn't recognise any limits". I was laughed at, told he knew what he was doing, risk assessments were done before filming etc etc... Couple of years later the guy was dead.

Same when you hear of a plane or helicopter go down.. the news always reports that the pilot was experienced with X years under their belt... The most common example is car drivers..  look how many of those have accidents every year - many of which are complacent idiots. 

What i'm saying is that we have this special word for things that happen which were not expected or foreseeable: Accident. History is littered with people dying because they suffered one. Don't be one of them mate.
More die from driving related accidents/incidents than ladder related accidents/incidents...so assume you do not drive due to the inherrent risk involved in driving.

People do have accidents using ladders,but you do not hear mentioned the many many more people who do not have accidents using ladders in their daily working life..

If you're going to trad from a ladder use the right ladder for the job like a pointer ladder from Ramsey.I have a 3.5m double.They are purely designed for window cleaning and are one of the best out there.

I have been doing this for years and use to do some right crazy and stupid stuff but after a while you realise there are easy and safer ways now to carry out a job.

Trust me the customer or the guy you work for won't give two thoughts for you if you fall off and are out of work.He also as your employer has a duty of care.

If you are going to use ladders take precautions look at the ladder matrix for footing the ladder as well.

personally it isn't worth the risk there are safe and easier ways like wfp now to earn a living
The employer does have a duty of care......and more importantly legally EACH OF US HAVE A DUTY OF CARE for ourselves and others.

Latest Posts

Back