Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lock down until next year?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@THL4KEL don't under estimate this evil ****bag of a disease / virus mate. My missusis a nurse and has been working in covid wards. Some of the tales i've heard are proper tear jerkers.

Have you ever been on the brink? - I have, had peritonitis and sepsis in 2013 when an operation went wrong without the surgeon realising. I can tell you that barely being able to breathe is not reassuring especially when you feel yourself getting weaker by the hour.

At one point i could literally manage to breathe a tiny fraction of a normal inhale. Don't take your recovery for granted mate and don't expose yourself to any risk of catching it.

This is where I'm using my card machine more and more for contactless payment...a lot of old people have a card....I leave my card machine on window sill,wheelie bin or garden table and they just have to hover it over the top of the machine for the transaction to go through.....?
I have got a card reader just never used it that may change moving forward just trying my best to get through my work at the minute which is taking longer than expected 

Cash doesn't scare me. Hold arms out at full length (I'd be wearing a mask anyway), take cash in glove, peel glove off over my fingers, cash is now trapped inside the glove. This is what i've been doing at petrol station etc.

Head back to vehicle and treat cash as you like - empty into a bucket / zip seal bag of disinfectant, take it home and stick in the washing machine... etc.

The polymer notes are brilliant. I've been washing all of mine by hand in the sink (along with coins obviously). Best thing the bank of england did.
Money launderer!!

There have been several fit, young people who have died from this
But only a very small percentage...think 95% of deaths had other serious health issues. Of course the older are most effected because of issues of being old!!. The Governments number 1 aim was to prevent the NHS from being overrun, that has been achieved. Whether it would have coped anyway without the lockdown is a question for analysts to work out later. And the NHS is always a political hot potato. Fact is we cannot go on with a lockdown, May 11 Government statement will be interesting. I think after that date I will be returning to work. It will be some 8 weeks of not earning.....same for many thousands, perhaps several million others. And the public will demand normality.

But only a very small percentage...think 95% of deaths had other serious health issues. Of course the older are most effected because of issues of being old!!. The Governments number 1 aim was to prevent the NHS from being overrun, that has been achieved. Whether it would have coped anyway without the lockdown is a question for analysts to work out later. And the NHS is always a political hot potato. Fact is we cannot go on with a lockdown, May 11 Government statement will be interesting. I think after that date I will be returning to work. It will be some 8 weeks of not earning.....same for many thousands, perhaps several million others. And the public will demand normality.
Might have to persevere a little longer though. Germany have recently eased their lockdown a little bit and seen their death toll start to rise again ?

Might have to persevere a little longer though. Germany have recently eased their lockdown a little bit and seen their death toll start to rise again ?
It could be a case where this virus cannot actually be stopped and it has to be allowed to spread to all regions for it to be over.  The countries with less restrictions might see a rapid rise in infections and deaths followed by a steady fall.  Countries like Germany might see a much smaller rise but also a much longer period of infections and deaths resulting in the same number of deaths but over a much longer period of time.

Obviously it will all be analysed in years to come but if you look at our own countries data, London had a huge spike and now it's going down almost as fast as it went up, whereas in other regions it's steadily grown and is not really coming down, which would go along with that theory that until 'x' amount of people have had it then the problem is not going to go away.

Another thing to notice is that Spain, Italy, France and the UK all have almost the exact same number of deaths, all the countries are of similar population size, Spain is smaller but only by a third.  So it doesn't seem to matter what is done, it's almost like the inevitable will happen.

2-4 years to get back to normal according to one expert...you might as well just go back to work today mate.....

I can't help feeling that I won't catch the virus because I had the Sars virus in 2008 when I was in bed for a week with what I thought was Spanish flu.

Last night I watched a documentary with Michael Mosley (Doctor, I think) about Small Pox. A woman farmer said she wouldn't catch Small Pox because she had caught Cow Pox and was now immune to the Pox virus. A doctor decided to believe her and gave an 8 year old boy the Cow Pox virus. After he recovered he gave him the Small Pox virus and nothing happened because he was immune to it, his body had made an antidote to fight it. The cow was called vacine of something so the doctor decided to call his antidote vaccine and that's where the word vaccinate comes from. It was pretty interesting and the same should happen with connavirus in the future. fwiw
You should let the WHO know then as the last known case of SARS was in 2004 and only 4 people in the UK got it.

On a positive note though, one company developing a vaccine for Covid19 is also trying to modify their existing SARS vaccine which would let them leapfrog quite a few steps and get it out much sooner.

You should let the WHO know then as the last known case of SARS was in 2004 and only 4 people in the UK got it.

On a positive note though, one company developing a vaccine for Covid19 is also trying to modify their existing SARS vaccine which would let them leapfrog quite a few steps and get it out much sooner.
The vaccine will have to come from the SARS virus I guess. I'm with Trump regarding WHO, who stood back and did nothing, never even went into China to investigate it, if they did then they could have tried to contain it.

My luck seems to be in at the moment as I usually catch every cold or flu virus going about and I won £126 last night for 3 numbers on the lotto. ?

More annoying though is the number of people going out for non-essential shopping - and the number of retailers encouraging it to happen. They should be ashamed but they aren't. They seem to think it's all a big joke / not real and it won't affect them or be spread by them.

It's gone nuts.
What is essential?

Someone stuck at home who suffers from depression for example who can go to shop and buy diy stuff and plants etc to do the garden and take their mind off it is in my opinion essential.

You can't judge everyone with your yardstick.

For example I have issues with depression and found it very therapeutic sorting my garden and decorating the house during the 3 weeks I had off.

Several news reports have reported on scientists saying that it's 4m you need between people. 2m is our UK governments optimistic "we must not let this disturb our precious economy, shares, banking and property portfolios - sell them all down the river and halve the distance".

New Zealand has just reported that they have completely eliminated the virus from their country. It's gone - completely.

The UK seems to have this attitude of "many will die, many will suffer but tough luck". It's the typical attitude the elite of this country have enforced on those at the bottom for years. With that said, Boris has experienced it himself and he seems to have some genuine concern for us all. Not enough but he does have some.

It can remain airborne for 10 minutes but alive in the open for 3 hours - whether that be in the wind or air conditioning system etc. On some surfaces it can survive 4-5 days..

I see queuing as a massive threat. You queue 2m apart from the person in front. They more forwards, you move into their old airspace. What do you think is floating in the air all around you - staying airborne for 10 minutes..

The only real safe way is a full on hazmat suit and oxygen tank / mask. They were quite cheap back in February, then this **** got serious and the prices literally doubled overnight (some trebled) - and yes, i've been looking lol.
Unfortunately the economy is precious. 

If nobody is earning the government have no taxes.. no nhs etc and also you have nobody with the funds to pay you for your services.. it is how the world works.

Oz has virtually done it. Probably half the size population of the UK. But they have been a lot more proactive. I.e. they booted out non citizens and government placed Aussie nationals into two week isolation upon return to OZ in city centre hotels. Plus army check points around cities backed up with thorough testing.
A lot less than half the population. 

Oz has around 20 million people in a country the size of europe.

Why do all that?? Just dont handle it for four hours and covivid is dead...
Or what I do is put it in my pocket with the rest and alcohol gel my hands.

Give it all a quick spray of dettol when I get home.

It's only old people who still want to use cash I see no point in the use of it for going to a shop or for fuel, oldies that pay cash are asked to leave it on the window sill, I spray my gloved hands with bleach spray then the money and it goes into a zip tie bag gets another quick spray and bag is closed and money doesn't get touched for 3 days or when I remember about it, I had a custy wanting to hand me cash on Monday I told him to place down and I would pick it up after he seemed a little taken aback by this. 
Or windies who don't like to pay tax???

What is essential?

Someone stuck at home who suffers from depression for example who can go to shop and buy diy stuff and plants etc to do the garden and take their mind off it is in my opinion essential.

You can't judge everyone with your yardstick.

For example I have issues with depression and found it very therapeutic sorting my garden and decorating the house during the 3 weeks I had off.
You're not the only one to suffer with depression, however lets be realistic here, essential is essential to supporting life. Food, water / drinks, medicines...

Going by your argument the theme parks should be open or we'll have thousands of teenagers topping themselves.

I've suffered with depression and other mental health woes for around 2 decades. I'm not venturing out for daft things like paint brushes, chrome exhaust ends and other tat that is sold by Wilko and the likes.

Unfortunately the economy is precious. 

If nobody is earning the government have no taxes.. no nhs etc and also you have nobody with the funds to pay you for your services.. it is how the world works.
Yet other countries have had far stricter lock downs understanding that life is more important than money (remember that without us, money is worthless anyway). It's only here in the UK that people rank money as being equally important. In other countries they'll bring in the military to keep the essentials running - just like we do when the fire brigade go on strike. Oh yes.. we barely have a military these days.. that might explain it..

Odd though isn't it, we're supposed to be one of the richest countries on the planet and yet you can go to other poorer countries and they'll have a far better quality of life than we do. My partner is a foreigner, go to her country and you'll see a dramatic difference beteen their and ours.

The vaccine will have to come from the SARS virus I guess. I'm with Trump regarding WHO, who stood back and did nothing, never even went into China to investigate it, if they did then they could have tried to contain it.

My luck seems to be in at the moment as I usually catch every cold or flu virus going about and I won £126 last night for 3 numbers on the lotto. ?
SARS is genetically related but they are very different virus's. SARS is more lethal but not as infectious supposedly.

Congrats on the win.. lucky sod!

"I'm with Trump regarding WHO, who stood back and did nothing..."
I didn't think anyone would be saying that anymore with the ridiculous things he's been saying ? 

-Especially the idea to inject people with disinfectant, bathe them in UV light and saying that antibiotics no longer work on this virus as it's gotten too good... 

Paraphrasing here but the guy's an idiot. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself but very bad when you're a leader of hundreds of millions of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
SARS is genetically related but they are very different virus's. SARS is more lethal but not as infectious supposedly
"Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

A novel coronavirus (CoV) is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans."

http://www.emro.who.int/health-topics/corona-virus/questions-and-answers.html#:~:text=Coronaviruses are a large family,Syndrome (SARS).

So coronavirus are big group of similar viruses - which cause different diseases MERS, SARS and COVID-19 

Just in case we get asked...

Back