Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

mid life crisis! Windows could be the solution

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Me and dave was talking about a row of terraced house's, and how pipes could make it awkward down alleys with some distance from the van. Thats what sparked the backpack debate @Green Pro Clean Ltd. Thats a good idea, might start by asking next door's window cleaner if i can tag along. Give him some free labour to start with, I'm ok financially for a while. I'm also eager to get this business started, like a kid waiting for Xmas day ☺ 

Good advice thanks

Alright Les, welcome mate. 

You could always get a pure freedom trolley to start of with and when you get busy use it as a van mount. 

Me and dave was talking about a row of terraced house's, and how pipes could make it awkward down alleys with some distance from the van. Thats what sparked the backpack debate @Green Pro Clean Ltd. Thats a good idea, might start by asking next door's window cleaner if i can tag along. Give him some free labour to start with, I'm ok financially for a while. I'm also eager to get this business started, like a kid waiting for Xmas day ☺ 

Good advice thanks

Oh I know what started the debate ? I simply don't bother with terraced houses. Too much agro. 

Just realised where you are

Loads of windies round there that i know of

Will be hard to build up round there

Awww jeeez ☺.  Well the customers round here haven't seen my friendly face yet. i suppose I have 3 months to declare my business so gives me time to get a feel before i commit.. The the north west has loads of windies eh, but no territory's  i can knock on any door ?.  Isn't that right @Green Pro Clean Ltd

Well I'm guessing that it will be hard to avoid the dreaded terraced row, just starting out and all I thought I'd need to take whatever work I can get with the tools I start with. But I'm listening,  all good advice and if I can i'll say no to the terraces. 

so HMRC. I've never been self employed so it's another vague area for me.. Just had a look and it seems the way forward is soul trader?? Or should I be focused on a company?  Will I get by without an accountant or are they well worth the 150 quid or so?

£150 a year I believe on average 

Well I'm guessing that it will be hard to avoid the dreaded terraced row, just starting out and all I thought I'd need to take whatever work I can get with the tools I start with. But I'm listening,  all good advice and if I can i'll say no to the terraces. 
If you're new in an area well served by window cleaners my advice would be not to say no to any decent paid work. When you're established and earning then you can pick and chose.

so HMRC. I've never been self employed so it's another vague area for me.. Just had a look and it seems the way forward is soul trader?? Or should I be focused on a company?  Will I get by without an accountant or are they well worth the 150 quid or so?

Give HMRC a ring, tell them you're new and would like some advice on what you need to do to keep on the right side of them. They're usually very helpful and you will be on their system as someone who is looking to do things correctly.

North West has the kind of homes where I wouldn't waste time with terraced stuff. Also a back pack would not begin to do some of them places. 

Yes you can knock any door you like that's not on MY PATCH! ?
Nowt wrong with terraces if you have a good few of em in each row. I doubt you would be able to canvass that sort of work these days though. I can see were your comin from if you don’t do many and is 100% wfp as you would spend more time setting up than you would cleaning. Ideal work for two man ops as one can smash the fronts off wfp and the other can trad all the backs.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’ve never used an accountant but I’m seriously looking into it as the business is constantly growing. Tbh I wouldn’t advise on not doing especially if your a little unsure as the repercussions for mess ups could be costly although hmrc are very helpful and a little exploring on google and hmrc’s website can tell you everything you need to know. You really need to know now were and how big you intend on getting as decisions you make now like being limited, vat registered etc could have a big effect on you later down the line.
I would advise on some sort of back up income if your thinking of canvassing your work up from nothing as it could take a while. I live in westhoughton so quite near to you and although there’s shed loads of cleaners there’s also shed loads of houses so you shouldn’t have problem getting work. Your best bet is to try and buy some work if you can. Enough to pay the bills then expand on that.
Good luck.

I wouldn’t be without our accountant. It would be a weeks worth of paperwork and grief for me, at least. And our accounts are a nightmare to process. We do around 3000 jobs per year. Every job is a paper invoice, so thats 3000 receipts they have to pile through, plus our expenses receipts. It must be so tedious and nail biting. I reckon it takes one lady at least 3 days on her own bless her

I wouldn’t be without our accountant. It would be a weeks worth of paperwork and grief for me, at least. And our accounts are a nightmare to process. We do around 3000 jobs per year. Every job is a paper invoice, so thats 3000 receipts they have to pile through, plus our expenses receipts. It must be so tedious and nail biting. I reckon it takes one lady at least 3 days on her own bless her

Are you domestic or commercial?

I've just been on hmrc Web site, had a good read. I have a lot to consider and decided,  feel like my heads gonna explode ☺.  I'm in a pretty good position financially for the short term and I could buy a round if needed! Decisions eh their's a tasty round for sale in Irlam so might have a closer look and give the guy a ring just for info. thanks for you're thoughts dave, how long you been window cleaning?

I've just been on hmrc Web site, had a good read. I have a lot to consider and decided,  feel like my heads gonna explode [emoji5].  I'm in a pretty good position financially for the short term and I could buy a round if needed! Decisions eh their's a tasty round for sale in Irlam so might have a closer look and give the guy a ring just for info. thanks for you're thoughts dave, how long you been window cleaning?
Bin doin it since I left school in ‘99 but only been workin for myself for around 6 years. I was lucky to buy a good bit of work off my old boss which I had been cleaning previous for him so I knew exactly what I was getting. The prices were a little dated but that’s in the process of being sorted with a few choice price rises.

Nice! Sounds like you're on a good thing and you deserve it mate, time spent, graft amd all. I left in 98... 90's was the best for me ☺. I'm going to seriously look into buying a round...  Trouble is i already done some research and it can go wrong,  got to be on the ball with that one, fraud and all. 

Latest Posts

Back