Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sick of carbon dust on hands

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's not just Gardiner poles your u get the dust off..

Anyway with the amount of dog muck everywhere I just could not bring myself not to wear gloves. Yeah people can bag it but it's still everywhere. Goes on the hose on the pole....

It's not just Gardiner poles your u get the dust off..

Anyway with the amount of dog muck everywhere I just could not bring myself not to wear gloves. Yeah people can bag it but it's still everywhere. Goes on the hose on the pole....
Yeah since the bad weather seen an increase in dog **** in gardens.  Ppl clearly not taking there dogs a walk!! 

I saw a US vid the other day, this guy makes kelvar poles with a totally smooth finish - seemed really light in the vid and obviously tough - I kid you not he extended a section and 'lifted' himself (like a fireman but in reverse) up...I think you may be right Gardiners led the way but need to keep pushing themselves...(content for another post) but I had a less than pleasant experience recently from dealing with them...hope they are not becoming complacent (I'm a total fan btw)   

oh and wear gloves! if not raining, breathable so hands keep cool, dry, clean - only downside you need to get taking them off to do any slips etc or drive well I do ...and dont' expect them to last too long...Toolstation doing 5 pairs for £7

Last edited by a moderator:
You may not have issues but you have just listed quite a lengthy and time consuming maintenance schedule.... Maybe @Alex Gardiner needs to investigate or do some R&D into either a more durable top coat or a top/final wrap in another material that won't begin to disintegrate after 3 months use (and regular cleaning) 
Can't remember what they call it.. solarfilm i think?.. Anyway for RC aeroplanes modellers use a plastic film - you iron it on over the balsa frame and the self adhesive sticks it on (it can be reused too so if it comes loose, just iron it on again). Anyway it's very thin plastic sheeting. I can't help but wonder if that would work? - But it might also tear easily with poles being extended and folded up all day.

Easier alternative is gloves.. a good thick pair of kitchen gloves if you don't want the hassle of disposables. Years ago sainsburys used to sell REALLY thick rubber gloves - literally so thick i could use boiling water in the sink for the washing up and only just feel it getting hot after a minute or two.

There might be a snag though.. if anyone does that, best not to then flick the bristles with the same gloves as the carbon barbs referred to higher up by @Pjj might then get caught in the bristles and cause scratches on the glass.

The amount of times a pole is extended and collapsed is of course wearing down the sections, this is more so on sections 1 & 2 which does my head right in with standard sections, such as on a SLX thankfully I still have some old Xtreme sections with the metal bands so not an issue so much for me with my Xtreme, also I try my best to clean all the upstairs windows on a house first then the downstairs windows thus reducing the carbon wear. 

The best 2 poles I had in the past were an Elite which I now believe is X-line poles as they bought out Elite when it was going bust, not sure if they have made changes since or not, also my old S-Max it did wear down but you never got the spinning and I just tightened the clamps up as far as they would go. 

I saw a US vid the other day, this guy makes kelvar poles with a totally smooth finish - seemed really light in the vid and obviously tough - I kid you not he extended a section and 'lifted' himself (like a fireman but in reverse) up...I think you may be right Gardiners led the way but need to keep pushing themselves...(content for another post) but I had a less than pleasant experience recently from dealing with them...hope they are not becoming complacent (I'm a total fan btw)   

oh and wear gloves! if not raining, breathable so hands keep cool, dry, clean - only downside you need to get taking them off to do any slips etc or drive well I do ...and dont' expect them to last too long...Toolstation doing 5 pairs for £7
I know what you mean, Alex has been tagged numerous times and not give any advice or foresight into innovative R&D... Possibly just happy to sit and take the money. 

Glad someone's working over there because I left a message yesterday but no callback. 
Hi Bald Monkey - what time did you leave the message? Did you leave your phone number? Our team are constantly taking messages and replying - its what I pay them for ?

PM me your phone number and I can get the system checked.

Thanks for the PM ?

I will be replying to all of the other points raised in due course - it is an in depth subject with many facets and will need a suitably composed and informative reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often i just wear an old glove, any old woolen one, on my left hand (its the one that gets the black stuff on it if right handed) and this does the job. Might get wet sometimes but ive got several and just dry them out.

Glad someone's working over there because I left a message yesterday but no callback. 
Hi BM

Your message was received by us at 3.30pm yesterday. Apologies due to the volume of calls this was not able to be called back yesterday, it was scheduled to be called back this morning. I have told them not to call you back now though as the content of the message has been communicated to me and my next post will address this and how to get the best from your 8 month old SLX35.

Hi BM

Your message was received by us at 3.30pm yesterday. Apologies due to the volume of calls this was not able to be called back yesterday, it was scheduled to be called back this morning. I have told them not to call you back now though as the content of the message has been communicated to me and my next post will address this and how to get the best from your 8 month old SLX35.
No problem and ill look forward to reading it, just for clarification on the age though, I bought it earlier than it went into service, its only been in service 4 months but purchased 8 months ago as I'm a start up and was getting equipment into place whilst building my setup, thank you

During the winter I always wear gloves but last summer I put barrier cream on in the morning before starting work. 
Called ‘Gloves in a bottle’ 

The carbon didn’t seem to stay on my hands at the end of the day

During the winter I always wear gloves but last summer I put barrier cream on in the morning before starting work. 
Called ‘Gloves in a bottle’ 

The carbon didn’t seem to stay on my hands at the end of the day
This is the point I'm making, when you buy an expensive piece of equipment like a full carbon pole, you shouldn't have to wear gloves or barrier cream, you shouldn't have to wash the pole everytime you use it, you shouldn't have to constantly apply ptfe spray to it, you shouldn't have to look at spraying it with acrylic lacquer. 

Now this isn't just a dig at gardiner, from what I have heard most manufacturers are the same in that this WEAR is acceptable and the norm. I can only go off facts and the fact is I own gardiner products

I picked gardiner because I was lead to believe they are the industry leader's and they are, but I disagree that the only solution to this problem is to wear gloves or spray with ptfe all the time. 

Cohesion and friction are the enemy I understand this, but why not do some R&D to solve this issue? This would create a product that lasts longer and won't need replacing often... Oh wait? ? Is that a possible reason this hasn't been resolved? 

With all the polymers and ptfe coatings available within today's industries I'm unable to see how this can still be happening. Surely a wear layer can be added without adding more than a few hundred grams. 

Maybe a teflon resin blend? I'm just throwing things out there as I'm not qualified in this product but what I am qualified in is advanced engineering and when alls said an done my expensive product is eroding away very quickly and that to me is unacceptable. 

Back