Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out would like to go the WFP

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just something that might help determining how long a pole you need. Get a laser measure for about £21 from amazon here That way you can casually wander round your area and laser measure the distance to the top of the windows and veluxes ? 

One other thing to remember is that at all times you are lifting the pole up and down when cleaning windows. So weight is always a compromise to reach. It is also an issue when extended out over extensions or connys if you don't need the full 30ft then the weight is still levering against you when the pole is more horizontal. 

If I go to quote and am unsure if I can reach, out comes the laser measure to be on safe side. Don't be afraid to say no I can't do that at the beginning. Having 2 poles is expensive but having a pole that is light is so much easier to work with all day! The extensions are not that more expensive that a pole with an extra section. 

Watch out for the SLX25 as it has same no of sections as a SLX22 but has a significantly longer closed length! A SLX25 is same closed length as SLX30!!! 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just something that might help determining how long a pole you need. Get a laser measure for about £21 from amazon here That way you can casually wander round your area and laser measure the distance to the top of the windows and veluxes ? 

One other thing to remember is that at all times you are lifting the pole up and down when cleaning windows. So weight is always a compromise to reach. It is also an issue when extended out over extensions or connys if you don't need the full 30ft then the weight is still levering against you when the pole is more horizontal. 

If I go to quote and am unsure if I can reach, out comes the laser measure to be on safe side. Don't be afraid to say no I can't do that at the beginning. Having 2 poles is expensive but having a pole that is light is so much easier to work with all day! The extensions are not that more expensive that a pole with an extra section. 

Watch out for the SLX25 as it has same no of sections as a SLX22 but has a significantly longer closed length! A SLX25 is same closed length as SLX30!!! 
Great tip and well worth the effort 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks all

I appreciate the advice i'm going to order the laser measure i actually looked yesterday in screwfix but wasn't sure if i was being weird to be thinking like that! I need to measure mine as i have the same skylight in the roof so mine would be as high as i'd need to go around this area. But worth having in the toolbox when i'm out and about ?

I'm really hoping that it's not as high as it looks. As it could be a good selling point that i could clean them as well 

Thanks all

I appreciate the advice i'm going to order the laser measure i actually looked yesterday in screwfix but wasn't sure if i was being weird to be thinking like that! I need to measure mine as i have the same skylight in the roof so mine would be as high as i'd need to go around this area. But worth having in the toolbox when i'm out and about ?

I'm really hoping that it's not as high as it looks. As it could be a good selling point that i could clean them as well 
Be weird mate, or at the very least settle for slightly eccentric. ?

Trust me on that, it's much more fun. You can have more imagination and make up your own minds more easily?.

That's good to know i'm not the only one!

I've ordered a laser measure so will update once i get it, hopefully this week, so i'll know where i am with height wise! then can get ordering 

So i received my laser measure today and my skylight in the roof is 32ft at the very top. So i'm thinking a good compromise is the SLX27 as the closed length is 1.56m which would fit in my van and the fully extended is 32ft which should just reach them. The SLX22 would need 2 x extensions to reach and the SLX25 would need 1 extension.

oddly the tubing that comes with it is only 27ft long? so i guess i'd need to speak to them about that as it's need 32ft?

So i received my laser measure today and my skylight in the roof is 32ft at the very top. So i'm thinking a good compromise is the SLX27 as the closed length is 1.56m which would fit in my van and the fully extended is 32ft which should just reach them. The SLX22 would need 2 x extensions to reach and the SLX25 would need 1 extension.

oddly the tubing that comes with it is only 27ft long? so i guess i'd need to speak to them about that as it's need 32ft?
You might find an slx at that height up a roof is very Wippey and will probably hit the gutters and possibly the tiles so be careful that you dont scrape the pole up and down the tiles 

Just to clear things up. An SLX27 is actually 27ft long when fully extended. So it should enable you to reach a height of about 32ft! i.e. you holding it at the bottom and holding it as high as you can! It will be a stretch. As Pjj said an SLX will be a bit flexible and bouncy but it should be OK. Worst case you will need a longer gooseneck and an extension but try the SLX27 first. One thing I will say is that the more horizontal the pole is the more leverage it has on you. i.e. at 27ft if you hold it horizontally it is heavy!!!! Vertically it's not an issue.

We live in a little bungalow with a velux and dorma. The dorma needs 18ft pole to reach it and the velux needs 22ft. Then angle of the pole is not far off horizontal and boy can you feel the weight of the pole. Remember that most people hold brush a couple of inches off glass to rinse! 

As for the pole hose, if you are using a Gardiner backpack they recommend a max of 20m. If you ring them and leave a message they should call you back and then you can ask for a 20m pole hose not the normal 10m (32ft). They will just charge you the extra between the 10m and 20m. Alternatively you could get the standard pole hose and make an extension - 10m of 5mm pole hose and appropriate connectors to match your backpack and pole. That way if you are not cleaning at max length then you don't need the 10m extension, remember you will learn not to trip over your own hose ? but the longer length you have sitting found from a backpack the more likely you are to trip!

I have a SLX27 and 2 extensions - they are scratched to hell after doing some skylights because as mentioned, they flex terribly on the gutters and tiles.  I now tell people that I will not do skylights that are on the roof of the second storey.

It was too much hassle, especially during lockdown when some customers parked their vehicles on their driveways that restricted my positioning to reach the skylights! So, I have had enough until I get the Extreme pole eventually!

The SLX 27 is tiring to use all day and every day so my regular pole is the SLX18 which is sufficient for around 90% of my rounds.

I have a SLX27 and 2 extensions - they are scratched to hell after doing some skylights because as mentioned, they flex terribly on the gutters and tiles.  I now tell people that I will not do skylights that are on the roof of the second storey.
You must be shorter than me ?

Ok some great advice. I'm 5'10 so i would imagine a SLX27 plus me should manage the reach 32ft just! The pitch of the roof is the angle i'll have to follow, so far from horizontal but also not vertical either! but can imagine trying to hold such a pole horizontal would be challenging

I'll give Gardiner a call just to confirm pole hose lengths i guess the hose on the backpack will be a few metres so hopefully between the two should reach 32ft, as i'm as clumsy as they come so don't want an extra 10m on the floor to have to skip around because that won't end well ? 

Ok i, can't speak on the phone with anyone at Gardiner, so i'll email them just to make sure i'll have enough tubing hose length i don't want to have to wear the backback while i'm doing the skylights, i'm far from an Arnie in build!

It was too much hassle, especially during lockdown when some customers parked their vehicles on their driveways that restricted my positioning to reach the skylights! So, I have had enough until I get the Extreme pole eventually!

The SLX 27 is tiring to use all day and every day so my regular pole is the SLX18 which is sufficient for around 90% of my rounds.
This where xtreme poles come into there own....I use a 25 footer for most of my work 

Ok i, can't speak on the phone with anyone at Gardiner, so i'll email them just to make sure i'll have enough tubing hose length i don't want to have to wear the backback while i'm doing the skylights, i'm far from an Arnie in build!
I am getting a backpack also. My plan is to fit the Exceed tubless system,and connect the stage 2 part onto the hose that comes with the backpack. That should give plenty of length. Especially with backpack on a trolley. 

I had to switch back onto an old SLX a couple of days ago for a day. Normally use a Xtreme 22. Next time round I might just get a new SLX...

Yeh I did some solar panels, right at top of a roof. I have slx22 and used the 2 extensions, but couldnt see where the brush was on the panels. had to stand on a step thing. Yeh the pole kept catching on panels/gutters etc, and I dont personally reckon it did a good job of cleaning. some were easier as i could climb on a lower level roof to get closer and use more elbow grease. Still, it is what it is, and those extensions have gotta pay for themselves so I'll carry on. Really then, I guess all they are meant for is 4th floor standard windows? (counting ground floor as 1st floor) Aint got any customers that high as yet.

Yeh I did some solar panels, right at top of a roof. I have slx22 and used the 2 extensions, but couldnt see where the brush was on the panels. had to stand on a step thing. Yeh the pole kept catching on panels/gutters etc, and I dont personally reckon it did a good job of cleaning. some were easier as i could climb on a lower level roof to get closer and use more elbow grease. Still, it is what it is, and those extensions have gotta pay for themselves so I'll carry on. Really then, I guess all they are meant for is 4th floor standard windows? (counting ground floor as 1st floor) Aint got any customers that high as yet.
Mind you, if I get an extreme in the future can always use these extension 6 and 7 on it so would only need a 22.

Latest Posts

Back