Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out would like to go the WFP

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So i just need to work on my technique then, the weather hasn't been great here the last couple of days so not been able to practice anymore

The windows i did manage to clean did dry clean so i'm pleased about that. I think i maybe should have also bought a sill cleaner brush as all of the windows around my estate have the pvc sills that need a good scrub when they are dirty, as ours hadn't been done for a while because our trad window cleaner never turned up!

What brush is your go to brush for everyday use?

cheers
For me I now use the Extreme Sill Brush for maintenance washes. However for starting and for a reliable brush that will happily tackle any job you come across over the long term, I would highly recommend the Superlight Medium Mixed Sill Brush. Sadly, I understand that the MMSB is being discontinued. Hopefully Alex G will reconsider and continue to supply this fine brush as quite a few of us rate it very highly. Son and I only use these two types of brush. Both with fan jets. 50 degree on our older brushes for gfs and rough first cleans as that's what we already had in them. We use the customer's water for the pvc wash so we don't need to be frugal with it. We use heated water for the pure water wash. My son uses a MMSB for all his work. His maintenance brush is paired with 100's, as is my Extreme.

No need for a large selection of brushes in my experience. The two I've recommended will do every job I've ever come across.

Some folk carry such a selection of brushes, as I've said recently "It's a golf cart and a caddy they'll be needing." Tis only glass, plastic, metal or wood washed down with water. My equipment works sweet for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me I now use the Extreme Sill Brush for maintenance washes. However for starting and for a reliable brush that will happily tackle any job you come across over the long term, I would highly recommend the Superlight Medium Mixed Sill Brush. Sadly, I understand that the MMSB is being discontinued. Hopefully Alex G will reconsider and continue to supply this fine brush as quite a few of us rate it very highly. Son and I only use these two types of brush. Both with fan jets. 50 degree on our older brushes for gfs and rough first cleans as that's what we already had in them. We use the customer's water for the pvc wash so we don't need to be frugal with it. We use heated water for the pure water wash. My son uses a MMSB for all his work. His maintenance brush is paired with 100's, as is my Extreme.

No need for a large selection of brushes in my experience. The two I've recommended will do every job I've ever come across.

Some folk carry such a selection of brushes, as I've said recently "It's a golf cart and a caddy they'll be needing." Tis only glass, plastic, metal or wood washed down with water. My equipment works sweet for me.
Davy that's good to hear that i don't need loads of different brushes i was worried i'd end up with 10 different ones!

i'll order the UNIVERSAL SILL 26CM BRUSH - MEDIUM SOFT with some different jets so i can see what works best for me 

I've found that practising on my house the sills ain't as good as i'd like which i think is me and having just the standard window brush

Edited to add i can still buy the MMSB so would you recommend going with that over the universal soft medium sill brush

In more than 12 years of been wfp I have never seen the need for or needed a sill brush, it's all about technique, Have I had the odd complaint in the past yes but in the early days before sill brushes were even a thing

In more than 12 years of been wfp I have never seen the need for or needed a sill brush, it's all about technique, Have I had the odd complaint in the past yes but in the early days before sill brushes were even a thing
That's fair enough, I only have the 1 brush that came with my pole system, having a spare would be a good idea anyway i guess, so might as well try a different brush

I did try adjusting the angle of the brush so it also cleaned the sills, maybe also standing further away would help

I've ordered the MMSB with fan jets 50 

Davy that's good to hear that i don't need loads of different brushes i was worried i'd end up with 10 different ones!

i'll order the UNIVERSAL SILL 26CM BRUSH - MEDIUM SOFT with some different jets so i can see what works best for me 

I've found that practising on my house the sills ain't as good as i'd like which i think is me and having just the standard window brush

Edited to add i can still buy the MMSB so would you recommend going with that over the universal soft medium sill brush
Hi JEM, I'm not qualified to answer your question regarding choosing the MMSB over the Universal as I've never used the Universal.

I settled on my preference for sill brushes (non flocked and fan jetted) from very early on. I like the depth of bristles for getting the top and bottom frames and the sills with as little need for adjustment of the pole angle as possible. I found that with standard flat brushes I was having to bring the pole more vertical to get the tops, more horizontal for the sills and in between for the rest of the window. Too much time, effort and faffing for my taste.

I like the way fans fill the full width of the brush rather than just two streams of piddle.

Brush and jet preference, as you will see is another divisive subject. ?

Two years back when I ordered two xtreme poles, I opted for two supreme brushes, my first brushes away from sill brushes.

I lasted around three weeks before going back to sill brushes. I found all the moving about to get the standard brush pushing on the sill a waste of time and effort.

You also have to watch out for the stock of the brush scratching the sill. 
In my opinion the sill brush can do everything the standard brush can do without moving the pole an jaunty angles ? 

Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ??‍??

You also have to watch out for the stock of the brush scratching the sill. 
In my opinion the sill brush can do everything the standard brush can do without moving the pole an jaunty angles ? 
Jaunty now there is a word that doesn't used everyday. 

What does jaunty mean in English?

lively in manner or appearance

English Language Learners Definition of jaunty

: lively in manner or appearance : having or suggesting a lively and confident quality. See the full definition for jaunty in the English Language Learners Dictionary. jaunty. adjective. jaun·ty | \ ˈjȯn-tē \

Don't mind if I do whilst cleaning sills 

Jaunty now there is a word that doesn't used everyday. 

What does jaunty mean in English?

lively in manner or appearance

English Language Learners Definition of jaunty

: lively in manner or appearance : having or suggesting a lively and confident quality. See the full definition for jaunty in the English Language Learners Dictionary. jaunty. adjective. jaun·ty | \ ˈjȯn-tē \

Don't mind if I do whilst cleaning sills 
You need a hobby ?

You need a hobby ?
Yeah I know I was bored to tears yesterday as the van was in the garage all day till after 5pm and I am always up early and it's forecast rain and 40mph winds today so twiddling my thumbs as the plan was to go for a dip in the sea today but that's sacked off. 

Yeah I know I was bored to tears yesterday as the van was in the garage all day till after 5pm and I am always up early and it's forecast rain and 40mph winds today so twiddling my thumbs as the plan was to go for a dip in the sea today but that's sacked off. 
Why don’t you put a your Christmas tree for something to do? Bit early I know, but here’s mine ??

5BD87EC6-F1B6-4660-9C8A-4200C730DC44.png

Lol you are lucky  my van has just been written off and Ime struggling to get another one at the moment and if we go into another lockdown it will be Evan worse , my guys are so busy they cannot pick up my work that I personally do ,so Ime going to be juggling there work around and work will probably be 6 weekly instead of 4 weekly for the time being . ?????

Lol you are lucky  my van has just been written off and Ime struggling to get another one at the moment and if we go into another lockdown it will be Evan worse , my guys are so busy they cannot pick up my work that I personally do ,so Ime going to be juggling there work around and work will probably be 6 weekly instead of 4 weekly for the time being . ?????
That's really bad, that is a serious amount of juggling and massive loss, my £400 bill yesterday isn't so bad after all

How did you manage that Paul?

Reversed into a bollard and did 10.5 k of damage doesn't  look that bad but that’s what they said it’s all striped out and being collected on Monday ??? Ime waiting on a phone call from a garage about a new van hopefully within the next couple of weeks .
Blimey is it 1k damage to your van and 9k damage to the bollard ?

Hope you get it sorted.

I'm waiting on my sill brush so i can practice some more, I don't think i'm ready to be let loose on any ones property just yet!

Blimey is it 1k damage to your van and 9k damage to the bollard ?

Hope you get it sorted.

I'm waiting on my sill brush so i can practice some more, I don't think i'm ready to be let loose on any ones property just yet!
I transitioned from trad to wfp in 1 day.

Just clean the customers windows and go back to the first ones you did after and check that the dry bits have no spots then move on to the next job.

All this practicing and 2nd guessing yourself doesn't help.

Just crack on.

It may take a while per job at first but you'll soon speed up.

Same as when I started in 1991.. bloke I worked for showed me 1 window with squeegee and detailing then said "keep up if you want a job"

I just cracked on and after a few days was flying through jobs.

Stop worrying and just do the job.

I got to do my whole house yesterday as my sill brush turned up so a two story house with rear patio doors and skylight i did the downstairs windows trad, i think it took me about 30mins which isn't bad, i should speed up as i get used to using everything.

I posted some of my flyers through about 100 doors, i've got 1400 left to do ?

I will also look into advertising in the local mag.. So just need some work now!

Back