Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what do you invest your money in?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Good for you Dave. Delighted for you. Not having to keep finding the money every month for years and years. Wow! ??
I am lucky and unlucky at the same time.

Paid a massive deposit on my first place and made 17k in a year and bought this place but only because me and my brother sold my dads house 20+ years ago when he died.

I have friends my age who still can't get on the ladder.

I am lucky and unlucky at the same time.

Paid a massive deposit on my first place and made 17k in a year and bought this place but only because me and my brother sold my dads house 20+ years ago when he died.

I have friends my age who still can't get on the ladder.
Yeah, that's bitter-sweet for sure. Your story and your friends.

What I mean is why over pay something that’s only charging you say 2% interest when you can invest it in something that’s making you 20% interest? After a few years you could still use the money to pay off your mortgage but you’ll have a lot more of it. 
Surely to earn 20% on an investment these days would involve making shrewd investments on the stock market and involve a big chunk of money, don't see that happening for many people me included as I prefer a good chunk of money in the bank for the unforeseen, 

Not to overpay on mortgage now is daft because if interest rates spike up to 6% then mortgage payments will increase and cost a lot more over the whole term of the mortgage it's about looking at the total cost over a chosen term. 

Honestly, I invest some of my earnings into bitcoin and I see its benefits. I understand that it is very volatile and you can lose a lot of money using poor strategies. I know a guy who lost kind of $10 000 just in one day! You should be very careful with cryptocurrencies as there are a lot of scams in this field.

So, when I finally decided investing in crypto I asked a qualified forex broker. He professionally explained to me all the risks and advantages of crypto investing. I also use forexrb.com in order to get useful information and make a wise decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
An author said that we spend 10k a year to go uni and most don’t learn much applicable without exception of a few. Yet if you spend 3k to start a business that doesn’t succeed you’re branded a failure. If you’re half decent, you’ll learn more from that 3k ‘failure’ through direct application and doing than 10k of uni in many cases. 
Reminds me so much of myself spent 5 years and 45k getting my teaching degree came out of uni got a 3k business loan and within two years built an ok sized business. 

Don't let school get in the way of your education ?

As for investment I'm all for growing my business at the minute but in a few years I'd like to look into property investment seems the safest bet long term. 

Upgrade your Maxblast.
Believe it or not I'm moving away from gutter clears with the vac and going back to the ladder and pro gutter tool on a painters pole. The reason being is because I usually have to fix the gutter at the same time. Most of my customers have cast iron gutters and they always leak at the joints. Heaven knows how many I have fixed in the last few months. I have a novel way of fixing them. Up on ladder with battery grinder and grind off bolt. Hit remaining bolt with nail punch and hammer. Open up joint and squeeze in some CT1 clear and rebolt with 25mm bolt and nut, then tighten up, job done. The customer loves it after spending months under water torture conditions by the constant dripping. ?

There's a bizarre thing going on in the Arb world now. I've been on the Arb forum upsetting them like I always do because I have no experience but I have always been a quick learner when dosh is concerned. Many folk have been buying in container loads of kiln dried fire logs from Latvia and making a fortune. I couldn't understand why and how tree surgeons here couldn't make any money selling their logs. The reason was cheap labour price and cheap energy price. The time we added the labour price and kiln energy price then we would be making zero profit. Now a container price has went from £1300 to £10k and they are all moaning and have stopped the process in their tracks. Now all the fire logs down South have sold out and hard to get your hands on any. The tree surgeons here see an opening and everyone is harvesting their own logs but the drying them out to 20% is the problem. The moment someone finds out a cheap and quick way to dry out logs then they will make a fortune. ?

Now a container price has went from £1300 to £10k
That's the price of a container from Hong Kong, China. This is because there are thousands of empty boxes sitting here and nothing to fill them with to send them back. This isn't a new phenomenon, happens 3 or 4 times a year. Just another story blown out of perspective by the Brexit / Covid hype. I spent 5 years working with the Chinese and all you can do is sit and wait for for the return rates to drop which will allow the exports to start up again. Then when the boxes are returned the shipping rates from China to Felixstowe / Rotterdam will drop back down again.

There's a bizarre thing going on in the Arb world now. I've been on the Arb forum upsetting them like I always do because I have no experience but I have always been a quick learner when dosh is concerned. Many folk have been buying in container loads of kiln dried fire logs from Latvia and making a fortune. I couldn't understand why and how tree surgeons here couldn't make any money selling their logs. The reason was cheap labour price and cheap energy price. The time we added the labour price and kiln energy price then we would be making zero profit. Now a container price has went from £1300 to £10k and they are all moaning and have stopped the process in their tracks. Now all the fire logs down South have sold out and hard to get your hands on any. The tree surgeons here see an opening and everyone is harvesting their own logs but the drying them out to 20% is the problem. The moment someone finds out a cheap and quick way to dry out logs then they will make a fortune. ?
Give them time to dry out and season naturally. That's what I used to do when I had a small holding in the west of Ireland.

Bring them into a well aired and vented shed with a good through airflow to season. It's a cheap way but yeah, it's definitely not a quick way. Bring them into the house and stack them up by the stove a day or two two before use.
One day's logs on the left being used. While the ones on the right are getting a final drying. Then use from the right while the next batch is stacked on the left and keep alternating like that.

Letting plenty air through while keeping water off and giving them enough time to dry and season. That's the key but of course not everyone has the shed space.

People have fuelled homes and campfires for thousands of years before they ever had drying kilns.

Last edited by a moderator:
People have fuelled homes and campfires for thousands of years before they ever had drying kilns.
If it hasn't already become law it will very soon that they can't sell unseasoned logs for burning. They say that the popularity of log burners and wet wood are generating lots of bad emissions.

Back