Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what do you invest your money in?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think when a stove is fitted the installer issues a certificate stating it’s compliant with smokeless zones , but to be honest wood smoke isn’t that harmful , it’s coal that’s bad and produces all the bad emissions  
Fairly certain it's a lot worse especially for us, think there's some nasty carcinogenic stuff in it. Our expert tester @ched999uk will tell us.

Ex as in has been
I said expert but you might know different ? Thought it was nasty stuff and the wayrock, chipboard stuff is a definite no no. When I worked in a recycling yard you could get rid of clean wood free of charge, painted and contaminated wood for around £10 per tonne but wayrock and chipboard was £50 as it had to be burnt at around a 20% mix with "good" wood in the waste to energy sector.

I said expert but you might know different ? Thought it was nasty stuff and the wayrock, chipboard stuff is a definite no no. When I worked in a recycling yard you could get rid of clean wood free of charge, painted and contaminated wood for around £10 per tonne but wayrock and chipboard was £50 as it had to be burnt at around a 20% mix with "good" wood in the waste to energy sector.
Ah I see what you mean I was referring to seasoned logs not painted or chip board the glue in chip board is nasty stuff when burnt , that kind of thing shouldn’t be put in a stove , only dry seasoned logs with a moisture content of around  12-20% should be used .unless it’s ash that can be burned green 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see what you mean I was referring to seasoned logs not painted or chip board the glue in chip board is nasty stuff when burnt , that kind of thing shouldn’t be put in a stove , only dry seasoned logs with a moisture content of around  12-20% should be used .unless it’s ash that can be burned green 
These are the rules but I've been in pubs where they burned any old wood. The houses are the same looking at the smoke coming out the chimneys.

These are the rules but I've been in pubs where they burned any old wood. The houses are the same looking at the smoke coming out the chimneys.
Huuum they shouldn’t be and if caught doing that in a smokeless zone  will face a heavy fine , most of the pubs round our way are very good and the fire with natural logs is what draws in many customers . Olde worldly ??? 

There is a house by me that burns something that creates lots of smell but I can't see the smoke - only at night. When ever the dog goes into the garden she smells of smoke when she comes back in. Not sure if it's legal but I think I know who it is and I would guess by their other actions it's not legal.

There is a house by me that burns something that creates lots of smell but I can't see the smoke - only at night. When ever the dog goes into the garden she smells of smoke when she comes back in. Not sure if it's legal but I think I know who it is and I would guess by their other actions it's not legal.
Burning the plastic insulation off copper wire in a barrel the garden I wonder?

I'm currently looking at buying into some shares.  Lloyds bank looks very cheap.  Obviously there is risk but there comes a point where they can't really get much lower.  

Might go down the spread betting route though, higher risk for higher reward but so long as you do your homework it's worth it as you don't pay any tax on profits unlike you do when buying and selling shares.

That's the price of a container from Hong Kong, China. This is because there are thousands of empty boxes sitting here and nothing to fill them with to send them back. This isn't a new phenomenon, happens 3 or 4 times a year. Just another story blown out of perspective by the Brexit / Covid hype. I spent 5 years working with the Chinese and all you can do is sit and wait for for the return rates to drop which will allow the exports to start up again. Then when the boxes are returned the shipping rates from China to Felixstowe / Rotterdam will drop back down again.
No we think its different this time because its to do with Brexit. The days of the cheap stuff are over and we will have to rely on making our own but I hope you are right but we will see in the fullness of time. If we begin to sell our own logs at a good price then Brexit will be the reason. Not just container price rise but import duty aswell.

People have fuelled homes and campfires for thousands of years before they ever had drying kilns.
Yes but its regulation for selling them. I'm thinking along the lines of big open end barn with industrial fans at one end powered by solar panels and storage batteries. Just need the money though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but its regulation for selling them. I'm thinking along the lines of big open end barn with industrial fans at one end powered by solar panels and storage batteries. Just need the money though.
I'll be honest. I don't think it would be worth the financial investment. That would be a huge amount of money going out, to dry a bit of firewood which would probably not be all that valuable after in relation to the financial outlay.

I'd be wary of spreading yourself too thin, with too many projects.

I admire your drive and energy though! For sure. ??

I'll be honest. I don't think it would be worth the financial investment. That would be a huge amount of money going out, to dry a bit of firewood which would probably not be all that valuable after in relation to the financial outlay.

I'd be wary of spreading yourself too thin, with too many projects.

I admire your drive and energy though! For sure. ??
Aye you are right but I'm a bit of a dreamer. I'm always thinking up some weird and wonderful ideas to make money. Probably better sticking to washing windies because its the simplest thing I have done and works every time. I like building fences but it can be brutal like today, 5hrs in the freezing rain for not a lot of money. ? 

Latest Posts

Back