Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

MPC & Pure Window Cleaning

Working for peanuts

Haz
13 hours ago, steve garwood said:

I’ve been in this game many years and know many other windies including loads of new startups.

I’ve never heard of anyone mention about new starters using tap water 🤔

Lol yes a lot of people do not filter the water correctly, i had new a customer i was about to carry out a first clean on, the man came out and said your not doing it with that pole are u? He said they left his windows streaky after the last pole guy had been lol.

I told him we do it properly and we filter our water to the highest standard and he was pleased with our results and he is a good paying regular customer till this day :) , a lot of cowboys are giving wfp a bad name by not using the correct water, i know a local carpet cleaner starting to offer wfp cleaning at £45.00 for a house and he connects his pole direct to the tap lmaoooo

At the end of the day these type of things actually benefit us established businesses :D

Cleanco
On 04/10/2019 at 22:23, MPC & Pure Window Cleaning said:

Need some advice / guidance please. Expanding my round but constantly finding that some  local window cleaners are charging peanuts. Went to a double bay fronted 3 bed semi today with extension and substantial conservatory . Probably 30mins work for a maintenance clean.Looked to be at least a £15 - £18 job to me. Flabbergasted to hear that her last window cleaner (WFP) charged her £8.  I tried to say that is the reason he doesn’t come anymore and that I am providing a premium service with all frames,cills and doors done but her eyes glazed over. Getting this all the time. Why do so many window cleaners de value the service so much? Quoted a house with 22 windows last week, her window cleaner had been charging £9. 

Getting some good customers who are willing to pay a fair price for a good service but feeling  quite down down about the all too frequent battle against other cleaners comedy prices. I am trying  to earn a decent living to support a wife and children. 

Have you guys guys experienced the same?

Just because someone’s prices are on the cheap side you dont know that they are working for peanuts. When I first started we were doing small semis at £4.50 a chuck turning over min £25/hour. If the lads you talk about are roughly the same then your talking £6/700 a week after tax, expenses etc. I wouldn’t say thats peanuts just not what they could be earning if they upped their game but tbh they are probs happy as they are and don’t want to rock the boat. 

Pit Creature

A couple of new jobs I quoted as £20, they told me their old window cleaner was charging £5 but they didn't understand how he made a living and were happy to pay £20.

Suhrly

Imagine if we lived in a world where ALL windies had set prices right around the country but probably best in your local area. X amount of windows/time taken is X price. And prices START at say £10. Then if someone wanted their windows doing it would come down to the skill, professionalism, reliability of the windie rather than the price a certain windie would charge.

If all the windies in your local area got together and had a meeting and said right guys, why don't we all charge X for this, Y for that, prices start from X etc etc. We could then all earn probably much better money.

I know I can't raise my prices too high in my area because of the bucket bobs. And also some decent windies who I know are simply too frightened to raise their prices. But if we all had the same prices we could all sleep a little bit better knowing we should only lose customers through sloppy work and the like.

Ain't never gonna happen I know this 😂 and I know you'd still get slimeballs undercutting etc but would be great.

wee man
10 minutes ago, Suhrly said:

Imagine if we lived in a world where ALL windies had set prices right around the country but probably best in your local area. X amount of windows/time taken is X price. And prices START at say £10. Then if someone wanted their windows doing it would come down to the skill, professionalism, reliability of the windie rather than the price a certain windie would charge.

If all the windies in your local area got together and had a meeting and said right guys, why don't we all charge X for this, Y for that, prices start from X etc etc. We could then all earn probably much better money.

I know I can't raise my prices too high in my area because of the bucket bobs. And also some decent windies who I know are simply too frightened to raise their prices. But if we all had the same prices we could all sleep a little bit better knowing we should only lose customers through sloppy work and the like.

Ain't never gonna happen I know this 😂 and I know you'd still get slimeballs undercutting etc but would be great.

I think that's against the law lol. It's like Tesco and Asda getting together and fixing there prices.  

Haz
5 hours ago, Suhrly said:

People have different pricing strategies in there own head, window cleaners may do the same job but we all work different to each other and have different prices in our heads lol.

My prices have been the same since i had started up 7 years ago, They should be going up but i can not afford to lose customers by having a price increase.

Slimeballs undercutting ? i got undercut the other day, i wouldnt call the person a slimeball.. its called business and business is a dog eat dog world mate, end of the day this "slimeball" done me a big favour by taking away a this customer , customers who choose to go  with someone else for £1.00 cheaper are not worth stressing over lol

Part Timer
1 hour ago, Haz said:

undercutting ? i got undercut the other day, i wouldnt call the person a slimeball..

The vast majority of work I get is because I'm cheaper than the previous cleaners, and I aim for a minimum of £30 an hour. I do get residential work on quality and reliability though. If the competition is genuine and just hungrier it doesn't make them a slimeball. You could be a slimeball to those you've taken work from. 

Suhrly
1 hour ago, Haz said:

People have different pricing strategies in there own head, window cleaners may do the same job but we all work different to each other and have different prices in our heads lol.

My prices have been the same since i had started up 7 years ago, They should be going up but i can not afford to lose customers by having a price increase.

Slimeballs undercutting ? i got undercut the other day, i wouldnt call the person a slimeball.. its called business and business is a dog eat dog world mate, end of the day this "slimeball" done me a big favour by taking away a this customer , customers who choose to go  with someone else for £1.00 cheaper are not worth stressing over lol

27 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

The vast majority of work I get is because I'm cheaper than the previous cleaners, and I aim for a minimum of £30 an hour. I do get residential work on quality and reliability though. If the competition is genuine and just hungrier it doesn't make them a slimeball. You could be a slimeball to those you've taken work from. 

For some reason I KNEW what I wrote there would be misinterpreted 🤦‍♂️ Guys, I was NOT referring to the 'real world'. I didn't mean anyone who is cheaper than others are slimeballs. It was a FICTIONAL event in which I invented a made up meeting where all local windies had a get together to help each other raise their prices so we all worked at the same rate. Then I said you would always get that one 'person' who would DELIBERATELY go against everyone else in that MADE UP meeting and stab them in the back to get more customers. Hence going against a 'gentlemans agreement' if you will. THAT would make that person a slimeball. Again, it's a made up scenario.

I've been undercut many times also @Haz and I feel the same way as you. I'm also cheaper than a lot of people @Part Timer Again I'm not referring to the REAL WORLD. Read my post again please. Jesus. I can't believe I have to write this explanation but I knew I would have to.

mike007
15 hours ago, Suhrly said:

Story about money.....perfect world starts at 12.00am and all the money in the world is divided equally between every person on Earth.......By 12.30am you would have some people richer...and some people poorer...just how it is. Same in business, you have a round and charge £x, competition, not bucket bobs but a good window cleaner comes in and charges 75% of your £x and takes half your customers...what do you do?, try to get more work? go out of business? or lower your prices to compete with the opposition?.

Haz
9 hours ago, Suhrly said:

For some reason I KNEW what I wrote there would be misinterpreted 🤦‍♂️ Guys, I was NOT referring to the 'real world'. I didn't mean anyone who is cheaper than others are slimeballs. It was a FICTIONAL event in which I invented a made up meeting where all local windies had a get together to help each other raise their prices so we all worked at the same rate. Then I said you would always get that one 'person' who would DELIBERATELY go against everyone else in that MADE UP meeting and stab them in the back to get more customers. Hence going against a 'gentlemans agreement' if you will. THAT would make that person a slimeball. Again, it's a made up scenario.

I've been undercut many times also @Haz and I feel the same way as you. I'm also cheaper than a lot of people @Part Timer Again I'm not referring to the REAL WORLD. Read my post again please. Jesus. I can't believe I have to write this explanation but I knew I would have to.

Mate what do u mean undercut ? there is no such thing as undercut 🤣 its called business ;) hahaha , Where in the North East are u based ? Am from Middlesbrough lol and theres so many new window cleaners starting up here but there still is plenty of work to go around for us all :D

Wind o kleen
6 hours ago, Haz said:

Mate what do u mean undercut ? there is no such thing as undercut 🤣 its called business 😉 hahaha , Where in the North East are u based ? Am from Middlesbrough lol and theres so many new window cleaners starting up here but there still is plenty of work to go around for us all 😄

You’ll end up getting your bucket pinched in south bank 

johnny bravo
On 07/10/2019 at 06:56, Iron Giant said:

To a point I agree with @Haz and what @Pjj says also, but it depends what you want your business to be on a daily basis I want well priced compact work, not a full day of £15 jobs spread across 10-20 streets across town or multiple towns, I don't want to drive around and sit in traffic to earn the same or a bit more money and be racing around all day everyday.

There is some younger lads not to far from me with 2 new vans and all the gear plus gutter vac and pressure washer and fair play to them they appear to be doing well and must be hitting near enough every town and village with mass leaflet drops and fb advertising in a distance of 35 miles plus doing jobs and they have a good rep that I know of.Everyone wants different things and if you have the drive and ambition you will succeed whatever your business model is or how you want to work day to day,

I am generally up about 5am because of back and muscle trouble but will be lucky if I manage to get to work for a 8.30am start most days, I do 20-30 jobs a day of compact work and I am back home for 4.30pm, I like a straightforward uncomplicated day, crikey I sound older than @spruce

keep of that laptop iron g.   in the morning.   it will make you go blind   haha

Haz
7 hours ago, Wind o kleen said:

7 hours ago, Wind o kleen said:

Not so bad as it was years ago lol

Iron Giant
8 hours ago, johnny bravo said:

keep of that laptop iron g.   in the morning.   it will make you go blind   haha

😅 nowt else to do on a morning, while I work my way through a litre of coffee

dazmond

not many of the old trad boys left where i work but there are the odd one or two ive known for years......one guy dumped a job at £25 a few years ago(large house)and i went round and priced up and im £40 dearer than him!i told him too!🤑£65 for just over an hours work 2 monthly,also lots of other jobs ive picked up over the years where im charging over £20 MORE than their ridiculously low prices (all of them large houses)happy days......

i was one of the first guys to use wfp in my area(over 9 years ago now)and ive picked up so much better priced work in the last 9 years without even trying off these guys.....

of course ive lost the odd job here and there to cheaper cleaners but its not very often(once or twice a year)....

virtually all the window cleaners i know that work the same areas as me have switched to wfp now.....my compact estate work is still fairly cheap though but im still earning £40+ an hour on this work so im fairly happy......

i think my work is fairly priced.....i try and follow the middle ground....not too cheap and not too expensive.....i dont always get it right though even after 26 years of window cleaning and sometimes i charge too much in the customers eyes and lose the job after the first clean......my usual response is "its not my ambition to be the cheapest window cleaner in the area".....been there,done that (many years ago)...its not a nice place to be at all.....