Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Motivation, mental health and progression

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Other than working in public places and surrounded by people I hate society.

I have been suffering from Depression anxiety & ptsd for over 15 years.

Window cleaning and commercial cleaning is my medicine. I managed to get myself off my cocktail of drugs in early October of last year but I still have days where I'm screaming inside.

With the whole Covid19 pandemic and the lack of public efforts in social distancing and working through everyday since March it's been mentally tough. 

I wake up and try to set an objective for the day. A target of mindfulness and distraction.

I don't have a social life or go out. What friends I have I don't see as everyone is too busy now days.

For me it's just work sleep work sleep and so on.

If anyone on this amazing forum needs a friendly chat or a hand of support I'm here.

All the best 

Austin 

Window cleaning and commercial cleaning is my medicine. I managed to get myself off my cocktail of drugs in early October of last year but I still have days where I'm screaming inside.

With the whole Covid19 pandemic and the lack of public efforts in social distancing and working through everyday since March it's been mentally tough. 

I wake up and try to set an objective for the day. A target of mindfulness and distraction.

I don't have a social life or go out. What friends I have I don't see as everyone is too busy now days.

If anyone on this amazing forum needs a friendly chat or a hand of support I'm here.

All the best 

Austin 
dont you have any hobbies?...your not gonna be able to keep working every day without risking burnout (eventually)......its in the post for sure mate.....have you not got a missus and a dog either?

I was reading the paper yesterday and katie Price was writing a column. She was once worth £36 mill and now she only has a house left. I found the hardest part is when all my earnings was going to dry up. You end up worrying how you are going to pay your bills. When I retired and received a pension it was like a massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Having no money worries may not be the answer but it sure helps you sleep soundly at night.

All the best 

Austin 
You sound a little bit like me, I ain't a people person, no social skills but those that know me will tell you I can talk the hind leg off a donkey ? I try my best to avoid people and just chat to the ones I want to with common interests or who are just decent, 

We all do what we feel is right for us there ain't no right or wrong just do whats right for you individually, I never wanted an allotment my wife did, but I can spend hours down there and the hours fly by and I don't think about anything other than the jobs I am doing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
im not a very social being these days so it suits me not meeting up with lots of people...i used to be at every party going and would often stay out all night every week,to say i partied hard in my late teens and 20s is an understatement!,clubbing,playing drums in bands(still doing a bit of that!)but im getting older(ill be 50 next year)....

the main thing im missing is the gym and meeting up with the lads rehearsing or playing a gig...im also missing my holidays abroad with my missus,we try and go at least twice a year.....but obviously there on hold......

i read a book called "jigsaw man" by paul britton many years ago now......i vowed never to read anything like that anymore about the dark side of human nature so i dont!great book though and ive a lot of respect for guys like him........
Did you know he did a follow up to that book? I read he’s been expelled from something like the ‘guild of criminologists and psychiatrists’ some professional body. 

He had led the police astray on the WCG murder and others. He wrote another book subsequently where he’d supposedly blamed the police for arresting the wrong person and not connecting on other similar murders which were subsequently linked to the actual killer. I never bought it, I think I may right now. 

im not a very social being these days so it suits me not meeting up with lots of people...i used to be at every party going and would often stay out all night every week,to say i partied hard in my late teens and 20s is an understatement!,clubbing,playing drums in bands(still doing a bit of that!)but im getting older(ill be 50 next year)....

the main thing im missing is the gym and meeting up with the lads rehearsing or playing a gig...im also missing my holidays abroad with my missus,we try and go at least twice a year.....but obviously there on hold......

i read a book called "jigsaw man" by paul britton many years ago now......i vowed never to read anything like that anymore about the dark side of human nature so i dont!great book though and ive a lot of respect for guys like him........
Very interesting read.  sticks in your head for a while  that one.  

2nd dip of the week in a new spot, the water we estimated as my wife forgot the temp checker but we reckon it was 14c 

View attachment 21537
Love wild swimming, proper refreshes you - never done it before work mind, we do a lot of bridge/cliff jumping in the summer and it's definitely one of my fav things to do. Always remember to have my swimming shoes on though as I've cut my feet up on loads of things in the past.

Love wild swimming, proper refreshes you - never done it before work mind, we do a lot of bridge/cliff jumping in the summer and it's definitely one of my fav things to do. Always remember to have my swimming shoes on though as I've cut my feet up on loads of things in the past.
I'm more of a dipper as I am not a strong swimmer, I would never jump off a bridge or cliff as you don't know what the temp of the water is and that's were it can all go very wrong for those not accustomed to cold water even though me and my wife are it's always best to able to walk into the water and have a moment if needed to adjust, 

We walked past a few pools on our walk and they would have all been different temps due to depth and some been completely in the shade, big river temps are currently 17c which is warm but a deeper pool in a river can be 15c or lower within a few feet of another spot. 

But on a positive tip yeah we love it, always on the hunt for new potential spots the beck we were in today was only a few inches deep in lot of places with 4 deep pools over a mile, were we dipped today was in ANOB and  Unesco  GeoPark site so a great place to dip and explore. 

I'm more of a dipper as I am not a strong swimmer, I would never jump off a bridge or cliff as you don't know what the temp of the water is and that's were it can all go very wrong for those not accustomed to cold water even though me and my wife are it's always best to able to walk into the water and have a moment if needed to adjust, 

We walked past a few pools on our walk and they would have all been different temps due to depth and some been completely in the shade, big river temps are currently 17c which is warm but a deeper pool in a river can be 15c or lower within a few feet of another spot. 

But on a positive tip yeah we love it, always on the hunt for new potential spots the beck we were in today was only a few inches deep in lot of places with 4 deep pools over a mile, were we dipped today was in ANOB and  Unesco  GeoPark site so a great place to dip and explore. 
Absolutely, very rarely do we jump in without testing the temp and depth. There's loads of spots near Ilkley and up towards the Yorkshire Dales - probably a bit far from you just for a dip though!

I love the water and all water sports but I live slap bang in the centre of the country so rarely do I get to the sea side for a surf or anything - got a robins hood bay trip planned for this weekend coming up though.

Absolutely, very rarely do we jump in without testing the temp and depth. There's loads of spots near Ilkley and up towards the Yorkshire Dales - probably a bit far from you just for a dip though!

I love the water and all water sports but I live slap bang in the centre of the country so rarely do I get to the sea side for a surf or anything - got a robins hood bay trip planned for this weekend coming up though.
Not that far really we will travel up to and over an hour for a decent dipping spot, today we drove for 50 minutes then had to walk for 20 minutes or so before finding our spot but had a decent walk around the area and stopped for some sandwiches before dipping then a 20 minutes or so  walk back to our car. 

Love Wilde swimming not done a great deal this year because of lockdown I still do cliff/bridge jumping but no longer do the crazy stuff, I get as much of a buzz off a 20-30ft as I did as a young lad doing 80ft+
great distraction from the day to day and for me rejuvenating body and mind.

this is a nice jump near Hereford way.

First is me second a friends son to give an idea of hight.

my record was over 80 ft in Triangle lake, Eugean Oregon USA named Dreaners drop! Broke my shoes on impact!

0DFE17D0-9413-4A29-BA0C-38BF8FE53047.jpeg

FD99A44F-3D49-4279-A85F-EEDF2FBDAC30.jpeg

Love Wilde swimming not done a great deal this year because of lockdown I still do cliff/bridge jumping but no longer do the crazy stuff, I get as much of a buzz off a 20-30ft as I did as a young lad doing 80ft+

my record was over 80 ft in Triangle lake, Eugean Oregon USA named Dreaners drop! Broke my shoes on impact!

View attachment 21538

View attachment 21539
Pretty sure I've never done anything above 80ft, not sure I'd like to try it ? I was around The Gower last week but didn't bring any stuff with me, looked like a place where there could have been a few spots! Beautiful place too

Pretty sure I've never done anything above 80ft, not sure I'd like to try it ? I was around The Gower last week but didn't bring any stuff with me, looked like a place where there could have been a few spots! Beautiful place too
I’m not far from the Gower (50 mins) and there are some nice jumps all along that coast, on my doorstep we have loads of waterfalls and are spoilt for choice so rarely venture over there unless we’re going to the beach for the day. 
love outdoors!

10ft is a long way down for me ? 
They all look easy until your at the top looking down ? 

LOL wild swimming!

In the country, we just call it ‘swimming’.

View attachment 21538

View attachment 21539
Bredwardine?

Had a fire shout there. Recovered a young lad.

Glasbury is safer?

Bredwardine?

Had a fire shout there. Recovered a young lad.

Glasbury is safer?
Just google mapped Bredwardine and yes that’s the spot. It has a nice grass verge and beached area on the river there.

I have a Canadian cannon and go that way sometimes (Glasbury) I’ll take a look.

unfortunately what tends to happen a lot of the time is people get egged on by friends or feel per pressure to try things outside of their experience or capabilities and sometimes alcohol gives the Dutch courage they don’t need! 
two of my mates who I jump with are qualified white water rescue they no longer teach outdoor pursuits but still enjoy the odd outing. Many of the places I jump have horror stories and almost always inexperience or alcohol was a factor.

Back