Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spotting in the sun

WCF

Help Support WCF:

A few of us started with very little choice with regards to fan jets. The ones that were available were a plug in and extended a fair bit lower than the brush stock. I removed them from the Salmon brush I bought because I was worried about the protruding jets scratching the glass.

Previously we had Vikan car washing brushes which had flocked bristles so retained the dirt. We learnt to rinse off glass with pencil jets and used this setup for many years. The salmon brush was rubbish when compared to the Vikan bricks.

My son prefers his 50 degree fan jets. I bought a new brush for him with 100 degree fan jets. He worked with them a couple of days and then asked me to remove them and fit a set of 50 degree ones he had on his old brush.

For me my go to brush has pencil jets which I prefer, but as has been said, some hate fan jets and others love them.

My opinion @Joel is to learn the window cleaning technique before you start experimenting with different setups. Its like a child growing up in a multilingual house hold. Yes, he will eventually learn to speak several languages proficiently but it will take him longer as he has to learn different words and sentence structures.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now tempted to buy some fan jets to try out 
I think a lot of people who try them, initially find them a bit alien. I suspect if folk gave them a full weeks trial with an open, un-prejudiced mind, some would probably grow to like them. I got on with them straight away. They seem so logical to me. I use a rectangular brush so I want a rectangular water flow within the full width of the brush. I don't want or need pencil jets squirting water six feet. I'm washing flat windows at the brush, not putting out a campfire two yards away. A lot of other folk see things differently and don't like fans. Diversity of opinion is good.

Squeeky Clean Dave's video demonstrates the use of fan jets very well. I also have two short videos on YouTube : 100 Degree fan jets in action and Water Fed Pole Gardiner 100 degree fan jets pattern.

I think a lot of people who try them, initially find them a bit alien. I suspect if folk gave them a full weeks trial with an open, un-prejudiced mind, some would probably grow to like them. I got on with them straight away. They seem so logical to me. I use a rectangular brush so I want a rectangular water flow within the full width of the brush. I don't want or need pencil jets squirting water six feet. I'm washing flat windows at the brush, not putting out a campfire two yards away. A lot of other folk see things differently and don't like fans. Diversity of opinion is good.

Squeeky Clean Dave's video demonstrates the use of fan jets very well. I have two short videos on YouTube : 100 Degree fan jets in action and Water Fed Pole Gardiner 100 degree fan jets pattern.
Posted your vid above already lol.

12 hours ago, Nick1000 said:

Lee is certainly an experienced window cleaner, but he was also promoting a YouTube channel, his own business and his own now defunct Window Cleaning Magazine. (The links to the magazine are no longer valid, even from Facebook.)

Sometimes people can be like politicians; there is also another agenda going on in the background. This clip was staged and scripted and of course the windows are going to be perfect after he has cleaned them. I not saying that the content wasn't correct, but it just seemed too perfect for me.

One of these 2 is yours.
Oh! Thanks Dave. I tried to click on both links you've posted but my phone won't open them. I have my limits with technology and they're not very high. ?

I just tried again and yes the second clip is mine. Thanks for that, Dave. ?

As you explained it so well I swapped out my pencil jets this morning for 50 degree fan jets and have instantly taken to them, I was put off by people saying they spray water every where and up in to vents and so on I can now only assume with the old jets they had the wrong orientation I am using the new jet capsules so the flow is straight ahead a good powerful flow not sure if I need to reduce my flow a little the sound is like a  jet taking off ?

As you explained it so well I swapped out my pencil jets this morning for 50 degree fan jets and have instantly taken to them, I was put off by people saying they spray water every where and up in to vents and so on I can now only assume with the old jets they had the wrong orientation I am using the new jet capsules so the flow is straight ahead a good powerful flow not sure if I need to reduce my flow a little the sound is like a  jet taking off ?
Ooh er! ?Hope you take to them. ?The thing is to keep them close to, or better still against the window the whole time. That way the water is contained where you want it to be.

I liken it to pumping a tyre. If you put the airline nozzle near the wheel and switch it on, you get air everywhere except where you want it, loosening dirt and dust off the wheel and the surroundings. Put it on the valve and you have it where you want it doing what you want. With fan jets if you wave the brush about too far back from the window you will get water on the surrounding brickwork which can bring dirt and dust down onto the window. That's the same whatever type of jets we use. I think some people fight against them instead of taking ownership and thinking about what they are doing. Take charge. Keep the brush close or touching. Keep the flow fairly high. If they ain't fizzing they ain't working right. I want water in the vents to flush them out. Especially the first time. Once they've had a proper clean out they simply get swiped across along with the rest of the top frame on maintenance washes. That way you can fire into maintenance washes without worrying. If there's dirt in nooks and crannies I go in like a dentist's hygienist to get it out. You're totally in charge of whether or not you want to get water in the vents. The brush goes where you put it. Subsequent maintenance washes I'm able to do almost in automatic. Play about with the flow settings and your experience and instinct you've built up over the years will help you find the sweet spot in no time. FYI, my settings are usually around : calibration 35-52, flow 52.

Embrace the fizz ?

Ooh er! ?Hope you take to them. ?The thing is to keep them close to, or better still against the window the whole time. That way the water is contained where you want it to be.

I liken it to pumping a tyre. If you put the airline nozzle near the wheel and switch it on, you get air everywhere except where you want it, loosening dirt and dust off the wheel and the surroundings. Put it on the valve and you have it where you want it doing what you want. With fan jets if you wave the brush about too far back from the window you will get water on the surrounding brickwork which can bring dirt and dust down onto the window. That's the same whatever type of jets we use. I think some people fight against them instead of taking ownership and thinking about what they are doing. Take charge. Keep the brush close or touching. Keep the flow fairly high. If they ain't fizzing they ain't working right. I want water in the vents to flush them out. Especially the first time. Once they've had a proper clean out they simply get swiped across along with the rest of the top frame on maintenance washes. That way you can fire into maintenance washes without worrying. If there's dirt in nooks and crannies I go in like a dentist's hygienist to get it out. You're totally in charge of whether or not you want to get water in the vents. The brush goes where you put it. Subsequent maintenance washes I'm able to do almost in automatic. Play about with the flow settings and your experience and instinct you've built up over the years will help you find the sweet spot in no time. FYI, my settings are usually around : calibration 35-52, flow 52.

Embrace the fizz ?
Like soda stream lol..

Get busy with the fizzy.

Lee is certainly an experienced window cleaner, but he was also promoting a YouTube channel, his own business and his own now defunct Window Cleaning Magazine. (The links to the magazine are no longer valid, even from Facebook.)

Sometimes people can be like politicians; there is also another agenda going on in the background. This clip was staged and scripted and of course the windows are going to be perfect after he has cleaned them. I not saying that the content wasn't correct, but it just seemed too perfect for me.
Lee is a good shiner, but what a weapon if you question him he just shuts you up with untold abuse.  

My opinion @Joel is to learn the window cleaning technique before you start experimenting with different setups. Its like a child growing up in a multilingual house hold. Yes, he will eventually learn to speak several languages proficiently but it will take him longer as he has to learn different words and sentence structures.  
yeah, I have been window cleaning with pencil jets since I have started and like a lot of people I find the rinsing process a pain, especially in sun. so to hear different ideas from everyone has been really interesting, I have now just purchased another brush from Gardiner with 100 degree fan jets to have a go with ?

Lee is a good shiner, but what a weapon if you question him he just shuts you up with untold abuse.  
He's learnt that from his mate Perry Tait, or what ever his name actually is.

Unfortunately most in the UK window cleaning industry don't like Perry Tait. Lee being his mate has basically alienated himself from the UK industry by association IMHO.

I cringed every time he released a video clip on YouTube. The introduction include the smashing of glass. Who as a professional window cleaner wants to see that? For me that ruined the content of the clip. It was a very poor marketing strategy.

Embrace the fizz ?
I've definitely taken to them did my first house which was covered in bits of the surrounding trees and it all rinsed down the glass really well I kept the same settings as before Cal 59 Flo 25 as I'll need to swap brushes with pencil jets for those who are on night shift or my 2nd job yesterday were they were all in bed I thought they would ? themselves with the noise ? they would have been up out of bed  in a panic and gawping through the window all bleary eyed ?

I have no issue with the water going into vents as such as i like to keep them clean, just some new builds with vents that can fall off if you just look at them, so I was concerned to much water may go into these ill fitting vents but I don't see that been an issue at all now I've used them, I am also finding it's easier and quicker to rinse not just glass but also doors and most likely garage doors as well as there is a big curtain of water more than with pencil jets. 

Clearly not the image he created of himself online, I  found he wasn't interested if you questioned him there was a farce with the window cleaners guild and I would openly ask him on fb and he would just tag someone else in it no apologies or anything, no doubt his own worse enemy 

I've definitely taken to them did my first house which was covered in bits of the surrounding trees and it all rinsed down the glass really well I kept the same settings as before Cal 59 Flo 25 as I'll need to swap brushes with pencil jets for those who are on night shift or my 2nd job yesterday were they were all in bed I thought they would ? themselves with the noise ? they would have been up out of bed  in a panic and gawping through the window all bleary eyed ?

I have no issue with the water going into vents as such as i like to keep them clean, just some new builds with vents that can fall off if you just look at them, so I was concerned to much water may go into these ill fitting vents but I don't see that been an issue at all now I've used them, I am also finding it's easier and quicker to rinse not just glass but also doors and most likely garage doors as well as there is a big curtain of water more than with pencil jets. 
I'm laughing at your description of frightening the wits out of night workers. ? I'll have to do my own windows now and get er indoors to listen from the inside to see if if it is an issue from the inside.

I know what you mean about fragile vents. We have several on our round. I can reassure you I wash them all. I've never had water pressure knock them off. The brush stock will though if not careful. The water pressure from fan jets is pretty gentle as it's diffused into a dense mist within a short distance of leaving the jet.

We also find them great for rinsing. A tip, especially for wider windows and garage doors : build a good head of water on the top in the normal way with a couple of quick swipes, then quickly turn the brush on its side so it's vertical like a wiper blade on a car. Now bring down your continuous curtain of descending water, keeping the brush vertical.? ?

I'm laughing at your description of frightening the wits out of night workers. ? I'll have to do my own windows now and get er indoors to listen from the inside to see if if it is an issue from the inside.

I know what you mean about fragile vents. We have several on our round. I can reassure you I wash them all. I've never had water pressure knock them off. The brush stock will though if not careful. The water pressure from fan jets is pretty gentle as it's diffused into a dense mist within about six inches of leaving the jet.

We also find them great for rinsing. A tip, especially for wider windows and garage doors : build a good head of water on the top in the normal way with a couple of quick swipes, then quickly turn the brush on its side so it's vertical like a wiper blade on a car. Now bring down your continuous curtain of descending water, keeping the brush vertical.? ?
Many thanks for the advice, I have 10's of new build houses with these shoddy vents they are almost hanging off from new they just clip in 

Many thanks for the advice, I have 10's of new build houses with these shoddy vents they are almost hanging off from new they just clip in 
Welcome. ?Yeah, I think I know the ones. They are quite big and come out a long way, the ones I'm thinking about. Dreadful things.

Taylor Wimpy houses by any chance?
Barratts and Taylor Wimpeys ? do you come across those big rectangular ones on wimpey houses which have like a black honeycomb set in them also what is the crack with pvc windows with metal sills 

Back