Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spotting in the sun

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Barratts and Taylor Wimpeys ? do you come across those big rectangular ones on wimpey houses which have like a black honeycomb set in them also what is the crack with pvc windows with metal sills 
Most of the  loose ones I have come across fit that description. Though mostly on single house and barn conversion homes.

Wouldn't you think designers, manufacturers and builders would be getting the hang of it at this stage? Can't be that hard to design window vents to be fit for purpose, surely?

Most of the  loose ones I have come across fit that description. Though mostly on single house and barn conversion homes.

Wouldn't you think designers, manufacturers and builders would be getting the hang of it at this stage? Can't be that hard to design window vents to be fit for purpose, surely?
It's all about the money cheaper the better for house builders so they can maximise profit, Barratts are the worst I have seen two types of trickle vents on the same houses and they have guttering on some little awning roofs above front doors and around bay windows but not on others, they tried to tell one of my custys that his house didn't have the guttering and down pipe on his style of house, my custy pointed out and asked why does the identical house to mine 2 doors down have it then ?

Barratts and Taylor Wimpeys ? do you come across those big rectangular ones on wimpey houses which have like a black honeycomb set in them also what is the crack with pvc windows with metal sills 
Here's our nemesis with Taylor Wimpy atm. We have a long standing customer who bought one of their new homes 5 years ago. They must have had a bad batch of these clip in vents. They crumble if we just touch them with the brush. The trouble is the replacements are bigger and the vent slot they clip into needs to be widened. 

IMG_20200523_144038430.jpg

Here's our nemesis with Taylor Wimpy atm. We have a long standing customer who bought one of their new homes 5 years ago. They must have had a bad batch of these clip in vents. They crumble if we just touch them with the brush. The trouble is the replacements are bigger and the vent slot they clip into needs to be widened. 

View attachment 20605
Surely if the house is only 5 years old it’s still covered by the nhbc thy should claim off the building firm 

I'm laughing at your description of frightening the wits out of night workers. ? I'll have to do my own windows now and get er indoors to listen from the inside to see if if it is an issue from the inside.

I know what you mean about fragile vents. We have several on our round. I can reassure you I wash them all. I've never had water pressure knock them off. The brush stock will though if not careful. The water pressure from fan jets is pretty gentle as it's diffused into a dense mist within a short distance of leaving the jet.

We also find them great for rinsing. A tip, especially for wider windows and garage doors : build a good head of water on the top in the normal way with a couple of quick swipes, then quickly turn the brush on its side so it's vertical like a wiper blade on a car. Now bring down your continuous curtain of descending water, keeping the brush vertical.? ?
I also do that but with pencil jets ??‍?

Surely if the house is only 5 years old it’s still covered by the nhbc thy should claim off the building firm 
We 'broke' them so I offered the sort out the problem. I thought we could just buy a couple from any supplier. But we were wrong. These are a Taylor Wimpy design window for their use.  I was also concerned as we have a few of the same built houses with the same Taylor Wimpy windows on another estate they built. After much ignoring of email requests we got someone to send us a couple as replacements.

Yes it was under warranty but the owner would have to lodge a complaint himself. Then they would have to send out an inspector to decide if it was truly a faulty vent or damage sustained by a clumsy window cleaner. I saw my reputation taking a beating when an easy solution was just to buy a couple and clip them in. Unfortunately my son was doing that side of the house and he is inclined to be rather heavy handed.

When the replacements arrived I noticed that the replacements were slightly bigger. Oh you will have to enlarge the slot slightly.

Now we stay away from vents that Taylor Wimpy windows have. I also notice that the new estate they have build in our town have the standard screw on vents which are more readily available.

View attachment 20605
I have some jobs with these the houses are well over 10 years old now but these vents just fall out and fall to pieces very low grade plastic they have dropped out on at least one window on every Tw house I clean you can see them shrinking over time and getting ready to drop out.

I have some jobs with these the houses are well over 10 years old now but these vents just fall out and fall to pieces very low grade plastic they have dropped out on at least one window on every Tw house I clean you can see them shrinking over time and getting ready to drop out.
Did you buy that keyboard the year ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest? ?

Did you buy that keyboard the year ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest? ?
I presume @steve garwood you are referring to my key board. ? If you are then the answer is yes.

It was recycled from a very old computer I had years ago. The Logitech cordless unit I had for years stopped working so this was an emergency solution that just stayed. You will notice I still have the mouse working though it needed a thorough internal clean a few months ago to get it up and working again. The scroll wheel stopped working.

When you get to my age you start to become paranoid if the item you are buying will still be around when you aren't.?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a technique to everything if we want to do it well. ??
Don’t get the point of turning the brush vertical? Using the width of the brush building up the head of water then just chase it down. Full width. What’s the point building up a wide head of water and then turning the brush vertical to just cut down the middle ? The amount of water you use don’t think you need to chase it down at all. 

I used 100 degree fanjets for years and liked them, I bought to identical brushes one with fanjets the other with pencils and thought I would try them out on my own windows maybe a year ago and after a good twenty minute test, honestly found  the pencils to be better the water cascaded down the glass much heavier then the fanjets rinsing off or on it didn’t matter.

I now have about 10 pairs of the old style 100 degree fan doing nothing ?

I used 100 degree fanjets for years and liked them, I bought to identical brushes one with fanjets the other with pencils and thought I would try them out on my own windows maybe a year ago and after a good twenty minute test, honestly found  the pencils to be better the water cascaded down the glass much heavier then the fanjets rinsing off or on it didn’t matter.

I now have about 10 pairs of the old style 100 degree fan doing nothing ?
Send em to me mate?

Don’t get the point of turning the brush vertical? Using the width of the brush building up the head of water then just chase it down. Full width. What’s the point building up a wide head of water and then turning the brush vertical to just cut down the middle ? The amount of water you use don’t think you need to chase it down at all. 
Hi Stevie, at no point do I just cut down the middle, no matter what the orientation of the brush. The plan after building the head of water, is to turn the brush vertical and swipe it across the top. Drop it down almost the width of the now vertical brush and swipe back across. Repeat the process until you get to the bottom of the glass. I keep the bristles just tickling the glass. This breaks the surface tension on any water droplets causing them to rupture and release any dirt they might be holding, especially on hydrophobic glass.

As soon as I reach the top of .the bottom frame I flick the brush horizontal and give a couple of swipes across the top of the frame and the sill to finish. Few windows take more than thirty seconds. ?

Hi Stevie, at no point do I just cut down the middle, no matter what the orientation of the brush. The plan after building the head of water, is to turn the brush vertical and swipe it across the top. Drop it down almost the width of the now vertical brush and swipe back across. Repeat the process until you get to the bottom of the glass. I keep the bristles just tickling the glass. This breaks the surface tension on any water droplets causing them to rupture and release any dirt they might be holding, especially on hydrophobic glass.

As soon as I reach the top of .the bottom frame I flick the brush horizontal and give a couple of swipes across the top of the frame and the sill to finish. Few windows take more than thirty seconds. ?
Still don’t get why you would want to turn the brush vertical to cover ‘ground’ side to side? The brush horizontally would be wider and more efficient. 

Still don’t get why you would want to turn the brush vertical to cover ‘ground’ side to side? The brush horizontally would be wider and more efficient. 
Sorry Stevie, but it isn't. You need more strokes to do the same, on the glass rinse down job in the horizontal aspect.

I suggest you grab a brush and put it horizontally against your window. Move it across the top of the glass then drop it down the depth of itself, still in horizontal orientation. Now move it back across. Continue the process, dropping the brush the depth of itself, to the bottom of the glass. Count the number of strokes /passes needed to reach the bottom. Now, do the same as I described, with the brush vertical. Count the strokes/passes. How many strokes have you saved on that pane of glass alone by using the brush in vertical orientation?

Can I ask you please to do this experiment and get back to me with the results? Again, don't forget this is a recommended approach for fairly wide windows and doors that are easy to access for this technique.

It gives you a river of water down the glass as one jet is directly above the other , we di it all the time on heavily soiled  or salty windows makes the rinse much quicker 
Yes! Less strokes = less water, less effort and, as you say, it's "quicker" , for the same result. ?

Yes! Less strokes = less water, less effort and, as you say, it's "quicker" , for the same result. ?
Exactly the same as squeaky clean Dave's vid.

Look how easy it is rinsing bifold doors sideways.

Latest Posts

Back