Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Two man set up...or not?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ordered that charger thanks Den

@spruce i'm still waiting for WCW to send me the other 3 brackets to secure the tank. I'm going to order the spreader plates and ht screw you suggested, I take it i need to order m10 nuts aswell? I'm just wondering has anyone put spreader plates under VW Caddy Maxi, was going to order the 50mmx60mmx200mm & maybe the m10x120mm screws. Unfortunately I won't be picking van up until January so haven't done the measurements under the chassis, ideally I would like 325l tank to go length ways across back of bulkhead. If anyone else has had had tank secured on the caddy maxi any info would be great, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is instllalled in a Lwb t230 transit connect facing the rear doors there was a awkward bracket the needed shaping due to some thing being in the way can’t remember what it was as my mate installed it. 

Sorry that should read spreader plate that need to be shaped think part of the chassis was in the way he just used a angle grinder to shape that was the longest part of the job as it was screwed at first before I had it bolted.

When I received mine the compact was screwed down by it mounts to the pallet, how was your delivered was it not screwed to the pallet?

Sorry that should read spreader plate that need to be shaped think part of the chassis was in the way he just used a angle grinder to shape that was the longest part of the job as it was screwed at first before I had it bolted.

When I received mine the compact was screwed down by it mounts to the pallet, how was your delivered was it not screwed to the pallet?
Yeah mate, that's exactly what WCW said was usually the case.. apparently was meant to be screwed down on pallet but wasn't. Instead had that hard plastic strips & shrink wrapped and there was one loose bracket sitting on top of tank. I have it out the back now sitting out my back on the pallet, was a bit a job trying to get it through the house as obviously the weight of it and battery. Was speaking to WCW about it on Thursday and not yet heard back from them. Their orders are usually spot on in the past but missing several other items from my order and that's not including brackets and bolts. I put it down to black friday, i'd imagine they were crazy busy but i hope they can sort it out.

I'm buying Caddy from a big VW dealer over here, was going to ask them to secure the tank.. not sure if they will do it though especially if spreader plates need to be altered. I'm hoping someone on here has caddy maxi and can give me some advice. Maybe a local mechanic would be better shout, I just thought if I mentioned the name of big VW dealer to insurance company, that they installed it ... the insurance company won't ask any many questions about safety etc.

Ordered that charger thanks Den

@spruce i'm still waiting for WCW to send me the other 3 brackets to secure the tank. I'm going to order the spreader plates and ht screw you suggested, I take it i need to order m10 nuts aswell? I'm just wondering has anyone put spreader plates under VW Caddy Maxi, was going to order the 50mmx60mmx200mm & maybe the m10x120mm screws. Unfortunately I won't be picking van up until January so haven't done the measurements under the chassis, ideally I would like 325l tank to go length ways across back of bulkhead. If anyone else has had had tank secured on the caddy maxi any info would be great, cheers.

yes M10 nuts as well.

I didn't realise the van was 'still in the wings'. If the design is the same as other 'car derived' vans are then you are going to have to find a work around for the front securing bolts. (Car derived vans later became known as people carriers/movers.) The issue you will have to work around will be the same as most of these and deals with the way the manufacturers bridged the rear footwells with the cargo floor to make it level.

On both the Citroen Berlingo and Ford Transit Connect there is a small gap behind the inside panels that you could access a small section of the floor. On the Berlingo that space was rather small. We used 25 x 5 by about 150mm flat bar as this was all we could get in there. The gap was not much bigger on the lwb Connect. Both these vans had the fuel tanks underneath the rear seating area, so the tank had to 'straddle' that. Access to the spreader plates at the back was between the end of the diesel tank brackets and the rear axle.

If you need to have brackets on the sides of the tank (with the tank across the bulkhead this would be the front and back of the tank) then you may need to drop the diesel tank to get to access to fit the bolts above the tank. (Remember that you have a limited gap between the top of the diesel tank and the floor so you need to be careful you don't puncture the tank. A plylining company fitted 150 plylining kits to 150 Citroen Berlingo vans In Yorkshire 15 years ago and the fitter used screws which were too long to secure the floor. That plylining company had to pay for the supply and fitment of 150 replacement fuel tanks.)

yes M10 nuts as well.

I didn't realise the van was 'still in the wings'. If the design is the same as other 'car derived' vans are then you are going to have to find a work around for the front securing bolts. (Car derived vans later became known as people carriers/movers.) The issue you will have to work around will be the same as most of these and deals with the way the manufacturers bridged the rear footwells with the cargo floor to make it level.

On both the Citroen Berlingo and Ford Transit Connect there is a small gap behind the inside panels that you could access a small section of the floor. On the Berlingo that space was rather small. We used 25 x 5 by about 150mm flat bar as this was all we could get in there. The gap was not much bigger on the lwb Connect. Both these vans had the fuel tanks underneath the rear seating area, so the tank had to 'straddle' that. Access to the spreader plates at the back was between the end of the diesel tank brackets and the rear axle.

If you need to have brackets on the sides of the tank (with the tank across the bulkhead this would be the front and back of the tank) then you may need to drop the diesel tank to get to access to fit the bolts above the tank. (Remember that you have a limited gap between the top of the diesel tank and the floor so you need to be careful you don't puncture the tank. A plylining company fitted 150 plylining kits to 150 Citroen Berlingo vans In Yorkshire 15 years ago and the fitter used screws which were too long to secure the floor. That plylining company had to pay for the supply and fitment of 150 replacement fuel tanks.)
As per usual a foundation of information, thanks mate.

Yeah I'm registering for VAT again, which can take time and then I will claim back the VAT on the van, so until that is setup and ready to go I have to hold out on the van. I jumped at the system on WCW because of the 25% off on black friday but ideally it would be nice to have a van to put it into lol. I suppose until I look under I won't really know. I wonder would it be easier having the tank length ways? That would be fine me actually if it meant making things easier under the chassis, don't fancy taking the chance with the fuel tank, I wouldn't be adverse to getting a Transit Connect lwb either but not many available over here at the moment. Is there much of a difference between the plain hex nut as oppose to the Nyloc hex? 

Unfortunately being located in Ireland it can be a bloody slow process ordering gear from the UK if something goes wrong with your order like it has in this case, i'm hoping that WCW can get it sorted quickly enough.

As per usual a foundation of information, thanks mate.

Yeah I'm registering for VAT again, which can take time and then I will claim back the VAT on the van, so until that is setup and ready to go I have to hold out on the van. I jumped at the system on WCW because of the 25% off on black friday but ideally it would be nice to have a van to put it into lol. I suppose until I look under I won't really know. I wonder would it be easier having the tank length ways? That would be fine me actually if it meant making things easier under the chassis, don't fancy taking the chance with the fuel tank, I wouldn't be adverse to getting a Transit Connect lwb either but not many available over here at the moment. Is there much of a difference between the plain hex nut as oppose to the Nyloc hex? 

Unfortunately being located in Ireland it can be a bloody slow process ordering gear from the UK if something goes wrong with your order like it has in this case, i'm hoping that WCW can get it sorted quickly enough.
There is no difference as long as they are high tensile.

I'm sure you can register for VAT and then back claim later. I know there is a time limit but can remember what it is.

Perfect, i have ordered the charger, screws, bolts and plates & WCW got back to me and are sending the brackets so fingers crossed hopefully all is good. Appreciate all the help
Happy days not sure on the lastest compacts but where the battery compartment is there is a panel covering the compartment that is where the quick connector SAE connectors comes in real handy plus the sae connectors are cheap on eBay if you want to use the charger for anything else like motorhome for example. 

Yeah there is a plastic panel covering the battery, I honestly didn't get a chance to have a look because the weather has been awful and was lashing rain when I was initially moving it. Was so concerned with covering it up and protecting controller and battery that hardly looked, is it straight forward to charge the battery? When i'm moving it into the van is there an easy way to disconnect the battery from the tank? There isn't enough slack to put it on top of the tank so when we were moving the tank someone had to hold the battery as we were moving the tank.. was so awkward.

Yeah there is a plastic panel covering the battery, I honestly didn't get a chance to have a look because the weather has been awful and was lashing rain when I was initially moving it. Was so concerned with covering it up and protecting controller and battery that hardly looked, is it straight forward to charge the battery? When i'm moving it into the van is there an easy way to disconnect the battery from the tank? There isn't enough slack to put it on top of the tank so when we were moving the tank someone had to hold the battery as we were moving the tank.. was so awkward.
Honestly can’t be 100% sure but don’t think my battery was connected as they didn’t send the panel I had to phone them up When Ireceived the panel a couple of days later they didn’t send the screw to attach the panel lol. 

Honestly can’t be 100% sure but don’t think my battery was connected as they didn’t send the panel I had to phone them up When Ireceived the panel a couple of days later they didn’t send the screw to attach the panel lol. 
Lol ffs, I'll figure it out in few weeks. Only concern is the install, was my main concern from the get go. Have all the stuff ordered, now just find someone to do it & do it correctly. Have a feeling a lot of mechanic over will probably never have been asked to do something like this before. WFP is not as popular over here yet.

Mine is installed in the floor panels not the chassis I’m sure any mechanic will be able to install without to many problems. 

Hey guys,

I was talking about a month ago about bolting down tank in van etc. One of my packages from WCW got lost and tool 4 weeks for them to finally tell me that. TNTs fault! Bit of a saga getting everything but have them now.

Got stainless steel plates, drilled holes in them.. went through 5 b and q drill bits! So I have bracket for tank, high tensile screws with washers and bolts. Does this seem to be all I need to secure the tank under chassis?

20190107_103236.jpeg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hey guys,

I was talking about a month ago about bolting down tank in van etc. One of my packages from WCW got lost and tool 4 weeks for them to finally tell me that. TNTs fault! Bit of a saga getting everything but have them now.

Got stainless steel plates, drilled holes in them.. went through 5 b and q drill bits! So I have bracket for tank, high tensile screws with washers and bolts. Does this seem to be all I need to secure the tank under chassis?

View attachment 15452

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Do you mean under the floor of the van or are you going through the 'chassis'? (Smaller vans usually have couple of box channels running down each side which are a strengthening aid and work inconjuction with side sill structure to make the van rigid.)

How many brackets have you got? IMO they will do the job but you always need to drive a van with a tank full of water with caution. We have used similar for years although not in stainless steel. No matter what you plan to hold the tank in place with, its not a guarantee that they will hold in an accident. Crash tested tanks and frames are crash tested and certified at 30 mph. At 50 or 60mph you have no chance of that tank being held securely. So you have to drive in a manner that you expect a vehicle to pull out in front of you or go through a red traffic light etc where ever you drive.

I can't quite read what the figures are on the bolt head but you say its high tensile. It looks like 8.8 which is high tensile and that's what you want. Mild steel bolts are not suitable.

Do you mean under the floor of the van or are you going through the 'chassis'? (Smaller vans usually have couple of box channels running down each side which are a strengthening aid and work inconjuction with side sill structure to make the van rigid.)

How many brackets have you got? IMO they will do the job but you always need to drive a van with a tank full of water with caution. We have used similar for years although not in stainless steel. No matter what you plan to hold the tank in place with, its not a guarantee that they will hold in an accident. Crash tested tanks and frames are crash tested and certified at 30 mph. At 50 or 60mph you have no chance of that tank being held securely. So you have to drive in a manner that you expect a vehicle to pull out in front of you or go through a red traffic light etc where ever you drive.

I can't quite read what the figures are on the bolt head but you say its high tensile. It looks like 8.8 which is high tensile and that's what you want. Mild steel bolts are not suitable.

Hey mate cheers for the reply. I got the screws, bolts & plates you posted in the thread earlier. You are spot on.. zinc plated 8.8 high tensile steel bolts, M10 Grade 8 High tensile zinc plated fully threaded steel screws & the stainless flat bar/steel plates. I also got 5000kg ratchet straps just as another precaution. I have 4 brackets for the tank and 4 stainless steel plates 200x50x6mm. I wasn't sure whether to put the plates underneath the chassis or go through the chassis... I would think that underneath is a better? Although does seem the more awkward option.

But yeah I get what you are saying about risks, I don't drive fast anyways but would easily be going 60 or 70kmph every days. I'm not sure there is much more I can do to secure the tank down & am hoping the insurance companies over here don't load on because of the risk factor.

Hey mate cheers for the reply. I got the screws, bolts & plates you posted in the thread earlier. You are spot on.. zinc plated 8.8 high tensile steel bolts, M10 Grade 8 High tensile zinc plated fully threaded steel screws & the stainless flat bar/steel plates. I also got 5000kg ratchet straps just as another precaution. I have 4 brackets for the tank and 4 stainless steel plates 200x50x6mm. I wasn't sure whether to put the plates underneath the chassis or go through the chassis... I would think that underneath is a better? Although does seem the more awkward option.

But yeah I get what you are saying about risks, I don't drive fast anyways but would easily be going 60 or 70kmph every days. I'm not sure there is much more I can do to secure the tank down & am hoping the insurance companies over here don't load on because of the risk factor.

IMHO you are ten times better off than a builder or a roofer with all that loose stuff they carry in the back including an unsecured gas bottle.

You can only try to cover as many bases as you can. Personally I fitted a used factory fit optional steel bulkhead as an extra precaution.  I have a Citroen Relay and now a Peugeot Boxer waiting in the wings. The PSA/Fiat factory options are much stronger than the after maket ones made from Cocola Cola tins.

In the early days of wfp we had a hard time with insurance. There was only one company that would insure us (Ageas) with a secured tank over 500 liters and we paid heavily for that.  But these days insurance is much easier to obtain at a reasonable price. (At one time I was seriously thinking of replacing my 650l tank with a 500 liter one and carrying a few 25l plastic containers to supplement the shortfall. The saving on insurance would have virtually paid for the replacement tank in the first year.)  I have insurance with Aviva now - a one time they wouldn't even look at a wfp van.

You just need to make sure that they have all the modifications listed on insurance, your tank, your towbar and roofracks, signwriting etc. if applicable

IMHO you are ten times better off than a builder or a roofer with all that loose stuff they carry in the back including an unsecured gas bottle.

You can only try to cover as many bases as you can. Personally I fitted a used factory fit optional steel bulkhead as an extra precaution.  I have a Citroen Relay and now a Peugeot Boxer waiting in the wings. The PSA/Fiat factory options are much stronger than the after maket ones made from Cocola Cola tins.

In the early days of wfp we had a hard time with insurance. There was only one company that would insure us (Ageas) with a secured tank over 500 liters and we paid heavily for that.  But these days insurance is much easier to obtain at a reasonable price. (At one time I was seriously thinking of replacing my 650l tank with a 500 liter one and carrying a few 25l plastic containers to supplement the shortfall. The saving on insurance would have virtually paid for the replacement tank in the first year.)  I have insurance with Aviva now - a one time they wouldn't even look at a wfp van.

You just need to make sure that they have all the modifications listed on insurance, your tank, your towbar and roofracks, signwriting etc. if applicable
I’m with aviva now they didn’t ask how big my tank was on my policy it states water tank(s) they did asked was it bolted or strapped down.

I carry a 325l tank and also up to 10 x 25l drums also but I only fill my tank up to approx 250l when carry that amount of drums as I’m working out of a 1000kg payload two man setup. 

I’m with aviva now they didn’t ask how big my tank was on my policy it states water tank(s) they did asked was it bolted or strapped down.

I carry a 325l tank and also up to 10 x 25l drums also but I only fill my tank up to approx 250l when carry that amount of drums as I’m working out of a 1000kg payload two man setup. 

Interestingly they asked me if the tank was professionally fitted. I said yes; I fitted it and bolted it in myself as I value my life. No reaction.  ?

Latest Posts

Back