Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upto 50 customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I bought a cheap set of spanners on a plastic wall mount (Aldi) ages ago, and mounted it on the side of the van.
Thats a great idea tbf ive got a little toolbox in van, cpl screwdrivers, oclip pliers, and a stanley knife but didnt think about spanners, im passing Aldi on Friday ill nip in or screwfix

Well first day today out with the new part timer.

Had a horrible start to the day when my 15month old leisure battery didnt wanna play ball and dropped down to a lowly 10.5 which ment we could only run i set up.

So while i was cleaning i sent the lad round the estate with a fistful of flyers.

I got through the first set of houses very slowly, picking up 3 new customers on that road from his flyer dropping.

Then jumped into the van and a quick call to the window cleaning guru that is @Pjj for a quick chat about my battery issue and as suspected it was just my battery that on the blink, so a jaunt to Halfords for a meatier 115ah leisure battery and a trickle charger £165 and Halfords wouldnt even lend me a 12mm spanner to change the battery over ???

So floored it home, swapped the battery over, stuck the 110ah one on the trickle charger which confused me so had a quick call to Tayna tech department who are outstanding, and have advised that u run one of batteries for 3-4 days in the van being topped up by the Bat2Bat charger while the other sits on trickle charger and rotate them.

Was back on the pole just after 1 and finished at 3.

The flyers the lad delivered in 2hrs this morning generated £115 of new work all on 6wkly.

So definately a day of ups n downs.
Always carry a set of tools, just incase they are needed on the spot for quick repairs.

Always carry a set of tools, just incase they are needed on the spot for quick repairs.
Spot on, I've got a multistack toolbox with pretty much all my tools in - life (stress)saver - rather than keep them at home, they permanently live in my van...I would also recommend getting spares for most of the kit, yes two poles or al least 'the' worn out one...connectors, o rings, jubilee clips tape etc fittings etc, hoses etc - stuff breaks/wears out and will fail when you least want it do - if you have spares or kit to effect a work around it takes all the sting out of it ?  

Spot on, I've got a multistack toolbox with pretty much all my tools in - life (stress)saver - rather than keep them at home, they permanently live in my van...I would also recommend getting spares for most of the kit, yes two poles or al least 'the' worn out one...connectors, o rings, jubilee clips tape etc fittings etc, hoses etc - stuff breaks/wears out and will fail when you least want it do - if you have spares or kit to effect a work around it takes all the sting out of it ?  
Totally agree. I have a spare of everything in my van, including a spare battery and digital controller 

Yeah running both set ups on a single battery.

On locations where i only have i house perstop ill send him about to flyer the road.

Exactly as you said though, him flyering while i was cleaning paid dividends.

Literally just came off the phone from another on so his £115 of work has just gone upto £135 of new work ?

Yeah let him loose on 3 houses all next door to one another, normally takes me 40minutes took him 65minutes but hell get quicker, like i said to another windy, there was a time when we all didnt know how to wiggle a pole ?
Sounds good, 65mins not bad for first day - it's quality that is most important at first - speed can come later but you don't want your reputation to suffer.

If both on same battery then not much option other than what you did. ?

One thing that you might consider is making it so if you have a pump or controller failure you can run both reels of a single pump. It's not ideal as if one shuts off brush then other gets full flow but at least having a way to connect both reels to one pump would enable you to get the days work done.

Great return on leaflets - any tips on design?

Sounds good, 65mins not bad for first day - it's quality that is most important at first - speed can come later but you don't want your reputation to suffer.

If both on same battery then not much option other than what you did. ?

One thing that you might consider is making it so if you have a pump or controller failure you can run both reels of a single pump. It's not ideal as if one shuts off brush then other gets full flow but at least having a way to connect both reels to one pump would enable you to get the days work done.

Great return on leaflets - any tips on design?
Literally just my calling cards i leave when ive cleaned.

20210222_184514.jpg

Literally just my calling cards i leave when ive cleaned.

View attachment 23526
That is an amazing return then. I thought you had a killer leaflet that was converting well. I am surprised you did so well. I wonder how much better you would do 'selling' your services. i..e card/leaflet saying something like 'we have just cleaned your neighbours windows, doors , frames and cills, would you like a quote?'. 

Well first day today out with the new part timer.

Had a horrible start to the day when my 15month old leisure battery didnt wanna play ball and dropped down to a lowly 10.5 which ment we could only run i set up.

So while i was cleaning i sent the lad round the estate with a fistful of flyers.

I got through the first set of houses very slowly, picking up 3 new customers on that road from his flyer dropping.

Then jumped into the van and a quick call to the window cleaning guru that is @Pjj for a quick chat about my battery issue and as suspected it was just my battery that on the blink, so a jaunt to Halfords for a meatier 115ah leisure battery and a trickle charger £165 and Halfords wouldnt even lend me a 12mm spanner to change the battery over ???

So floored it home, swapped the battery over, stuck the 110ah one on the trickle charger which confused me so had a quick call to Tayna tech department who are outstanding, and have advised that u run one of batteries for 3-4 days in the van being topped up by the Bat2Bat charger while the other sits on trickle charger and rotate them.

Was back on the pole just after 1 and finished at 3.

The flyers the lad delivered in 2hrs this morning generated £115 of new work all on 6wkly.

So definately a day of ups n downs.
Glad you got it sorted , we all have days like that now and again ????

is that just for you or do you have another van on the road? 

I think my ultimate goal is around 350 customers in terms of reaching my financial targets which I'm in no rush to reach! 

is that just for you or do you have another van on the road? 

I think my ultimate goal is around 350 customers in terms of reaching my financial targets which I'm in no rush to reach! 
Just one van pn the road, but 2 man van and a casual worker as and when required.

500 in 2 years! Wow that's some going, congratulations ??? 

Just out of interest, do you only offer 6 week? This is what I'm trying to do, sounds like it might be the right choice! If I do half as well as you, I'll be happy. 
I did offer 4/6/8 weekly but as i got busier and busier i found it more and more difficult to diarise all 3, i now have 1 day on a 4weekly which is coastal and everybody else has been moved to 6weekly and i thought id lose a few but touch wood nobody jumped ship, a few moans n groans but nobody left.

I did offer 4/6/8 weekly but as i got busier and busier i found it more and more difficult to diarise all 3, i now have 1 day on a 4weekly which is coastal and everybody else has been moved to 6weekly and i thought id lose a few but touch wood nobody jumped ship, a few moans n groans but nobody left.
Good to hear, I'll stick to the same plan. Also, did you go straight on Facebook? I keep dithering. Would rather build a business without it but if its going to get me business that fast, then it's a no brainer really. 

Back