Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wages for self employed Traditional window cleaners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Youngs Windows

We are Traditional window cleaners, i currently own a 2nd van and have 2 staff that are self employed, i pay them 33% each of the work they do in said van, I pay diesel and any other expenses.

Am I being too generous or not?

Tia

Try it as you are sub contracting them, they would need a company name and tax number.

also supply the van and they pay for fuel, insurance and tax.

I thought they would be classed as subcontractors, they invoice me for the work they've done, they are free to do their own work as and when they want.

Cheers though will look into it some more

They do have their own company name and tax number

Last edited by a moderator:
We are Traditional window cleaners, i currently own a 2nd van and have 2 staff that are self employed, i pay them 33% each of the work they do in said van, I pay diesel and any other expenses.

Am I being too generous or not?

Tia
His your van/ there the van signed up with your business name or there business name. Be very carful because you could end up owing a lot of money.

Oh!! Any advice on how I could change things up to operate properly much appreciated.

On average the 2 lads clean 300 a day on a good day, would I have to go down PAYE route then? Pay minimum wage with a bonus system? Is this my only option? 

Oh!! Any advice on how I could change things up to operate properly much appreciated.

On average the 2 lads clean 300 a day on a good day, would I have to go down PAYE route then? Pay minimum wage with a bonus system? Is this my only option? 
How many hours are they actually doing for you? If they're only doing 2 days a week and doing 3 of their own then you might be able to continue. Whatever the case is you really need to speak to someone that knows all the facts, and the rules, not just people, genuinely, offering their thoughts on the matter.

Your first post read like you supplied them everything, in this situation then you would have to employ them. Don't know how you'll get them down from a £150 a day to an hourly rate. 

Thank you for the replies.

They don't get 150, they take a third each, so as a rule they would get 300 worth of work done, usually in 8hrs and take 100 each, of that as it stands they invoice me for it from their company to mine for labour charges and they then responsible for paying their own tax.

Some weeks they can do 5 days, some weeks 1 day.

Im going to take your advice and seek some proper help on this never my intention to be working on the dodge so to speak

Thank you for the replies.

They don't get 150, they take a third each, so as a rule they would get 300 worth of work done, usually in 8hrs and take 100 each, of that as it stands they invoice me for it from their company to mine for labour charges and they then responsible for paying their own tax.

Some weeks they can do 5 days, some weeks 1 day.

Im going to take your advice and seek some proper help on this never my intention to be working on the dodge so to speak
All the info is on HMRC online.  Should be easy to get on the right side of it.

Latest Posts

Back