Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

World Cup fever

WCF

Help Support WCF:

never understood the going to the pub to watch football thing. I mean you struggle to see screen, usually crowded stood up crammed in next to a load of sweaty blokes all shouting and screaming at the box.

Much rather sit on sofa in peace with a few tins and snacks. 

Nothing wrong with going to pub, just not to watch TV
Atmosphere mate. Our landlady has had 3 big screens put up so viewing is easy. 

Although gutted were out, watching them games over the pub with loads of mates singing, drinking and having a laugh has been an absolute blast

We did well to get that far, had a lucky draw and lost twice to better sides in Belgium and Croatia.

I know a lot were saying after the game we will get better and do well at the next big tournament. However we won't, the squad just isn't good enough and unless some world class players come through the youth setup, the next Gerrard, scholes, Owens etc then we won't be winning anything for decades. Getting to a semi flattered us. Just the reality, too many bang average players with maybe 2-3 who can claim to be top level on a very good day..France would have beat us comfortably anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did well to get that far, had a lucky draw and lost twice to better sides in Belgium and Croatia.

I know a lot were saying after the game we will get better and do well at the next big tournament. However we won't, the squad just isn't good enough and unless some world class players come through the youth setup, the next Gerrard, scholes, Owens etc then we won't be winning anything for decades. Getting to a semi flattered us. Just the reality, too many bang average players with maybe 2-3 who can claim to be top level on a very good day..France would have beat us comfortably anyway.
Harsh, but true. Missing that ‘flare’ player. A Gazza or le tissier type

Harsh, but true. Missing that ‘flare’ player. A Gazza or le tissier type

Seaman

neviile terry ferdinand cole

beckham scholes lampard gerrard

shearer owen

If those lads couldnt win a tournament we have absoloutely no chance with this lot, we missed our opportunity 10-20 yrs ago.

its not coming home anytime soon im afraid. 

If we finish 3rd that will be our best result since 1966.

I think thats worth playing for, i mean they have to play it, so may as well play to win.

I dont think southgate will want us to lose to belgium twice.. at least it would end on a more positive note.

well, call it bad loser or whatever you like, but imo the way they hacked and barged etc was as bad as columbia the other day. It knocked us out of our composure, and they knew if we were allowed to play the game fair and proper, they would lose. Also are they tested? It seemed like croatia had all had adrenalin shots or some other enhancing **** at half time. It dont matter if it ends up 3 players left on each side, you shouldnt get away with hacking and elbowing etc. I hope france get it, purely as I think they will play cleaner.

Thing is we have a manager who is trying to bring a "style" of play to the squad...like Germany,s blueprint....does not happen overnight.....of course you need good players plus a couple of world class players to win the big one....but look at Brazil,Argentina,Portugal....they have the best individual trio of  world class players..........they have gone home. We have to rely on a style and fit players into that style which that guy in the waistcoat is trying to do....time will tell.....but look at the under 21s etc successes.

Thing is we have a manager who is trying to bring a "style" of play to the squad...like Germany,s blueprint....does not happen overnight.....of course you need good players plus a couple of world class players to win the big one....but look at Brazil,Argentina,Portugal....they have the best individual trio of  world class players..........they have gone home. We have to rely on a style and fit players into that style which that guy in the waistcoat is trying to do....time will tell.....but look at the under 21s etc successes.
Smashed, but this post made me smile and totally agree, top draw ?

We are average, have been for years and i cant see it changing anytime soon. 

If we could have managed to get past croatia, maybe took a couple of the chances we had in the first half and then lost to france in the final there would have been much more positive.

As it is we beat tunisia, panama and sweeden in open play thats it. we lost 3 games and drew with columbia. Its average results, you would be a mid table team in the league with that kind of form. When you consider we missed all the big boys then you can say that although we did well to get as far as we did, we overachieved. I didnt really see much in our play that tells me we are going to do any better in 4 years. 

But generally im not interested in international football, i must admit they got me interested again but ultimately in the end it was yet another false hope.

Latest Posts

Back