Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone working tomorrow?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I would have gone out today, but I went hammer and tongs and condensed 5 days in to 4 so I can take a breather. I don’t have a problem with a bank holiday Friday myself. Bank holidays Monday’s feel wrong though as they feel like an extension of the weekend, almost like another Sunday.

Fair enough if you don't work a BH as your family is off and want to do stuff together etc - normally though on BH roads are rammed, beaches packed, attractions are teaming with squabbling families - queues everywhere - restaurants packed, prices hiked etc..

I often work a BH and take time off at a time of our choosing - when things aren't so crowded etc as a result I get to see my customers responses - no one has ever mentioned anything - certainly no negatives comments or 'akward' moments  (everyone gets the date of my next visit so know I'm planning to call) those that are off work and still at home are chilled and everyone is pleased to see me, and have a chat. 95% of my custy stop and have a good 'chin wag' whenever I call anyhow - catching up on families/health/holidays etc - only got a handful of custies that if at home - stay inside and don't come out for a chat. I do have a lot of retired custies - so BHs mean less to them too I guess.

Just sharing - for those who seem to 'fear' intruding on their custy's - this hasn't been my experience at all with my custy's, who I've had for years...respect anyone who takes the day off - just saying it's not as you might expect - like calling on a custy on xmas day ? 
They might just be being pleasant. Inside they might think what a pain in the ar5e he is turning up when we are relaxing 

When I first started over 20 years ago I did work a few bank holidays as I needed the money but I did get a lot of complaints with people being in there gardens or having friends and family round ,several said leave it or you shouldn’t be working today , so I haven't worked any since 

I just did vacuumed the gutters and did a window clean on this watermill, was ment to do it 7 weeks ago but obv not been working.

Did it this morning £150 9-12 so £50 an hour which sounds awesome but cant help thinking i massively underpriced it.

How can i 'earn' £50 p/h and still be dissapointed, does anybody else ever feel like this?

20200507_211237.jpg

I just did vacuumed the gutters and did a window clean on this watermill, was ment to do it 7 weeks ago but obv not been working.

Did it this morning £150 9-12 so £50 an hour which sounds awesome but cant help thinking i massively underpriced it.

How can i 'earn' £50 p/h and still be dissapointed, does anybody else ever feel like this?

View attachment 20367
Yes mate. A job like that is hard work. But I think you probably priced it fairly well. ?

It does sound a bit cheap, did you have a look in the gutters first? If you didn't that could have gone very wrong for you. That could've took you all day if the downpipes had been badly blocked.

How did you get the dormer windows, looks like a nightmare by the photo. Think I'd have been at least £100 more. However at that price you might not have got the job. As long as you did alright is all that matters at the end of the day

It does sound a bit cheap, did you have a look in the gutters first? If you didn't that could have gone very wrong for you. That could've took you all day if the downpipes had been badly blocked.

How did you get the dormer windows, looks like a nightmare by the photo. Think I'd have been at least £100 more. However at that price you might not have got the job. As long as you did alright is all that matters at the end of the day
Didnt do the dormas the owner did them from inside, didnt do the 2 little wimdows on bottom left of pic either as they are over the river.

Them Dormas would be impossible to access with a pole unless youve got about a 100ft pole and a big pair of waders

I think I would have been £120-150 vac the gutters and £60 for the windows , especially  it was a one off , but £50 per hour is good ,at my prices I might not have got the job , well done 

View attachment 20367
It's not the time but the effort that gets you.  Sometimes I think I'd rather be sat in an office for 10 hours on £15 per hour, drinking tea and not having all the aches and pains at the end of it.

Money only seems to motivate you so much, at the end of the day if its a horrible job it will always be a horrible job.  I think when you work alone it's harder as well as your mind is just focused on working all the time, when you work with somebody it can be a laugh and becomes less of a chore, can also have its downsides though.

I think I would have been £120-150 vac the gutters and £60 for the windows , especially  it was a one off , but £50 per hour is good ,at my prices I might not have got the job , well done 
The windows are supposed to be every 12weeks as i do the village evey 6weeks and she wanted it every other time whuch is fair enough at £50, but her husband today informed me they wqnt it done every 6 months, so i said it would be £80 a clean and he never batted an eyelid and agreed to it.

Didnt do the dormas the owner did them from inside, didnt do the 2 little wimdows on bottom left of pic either as they are over the river.

Them Dormas would be impossible to access with a pole unless youve got about a 100ft pole and a big pair of waders
Thought they looked a nightmare, thought you might have been able to do them with a 47' pole and a swivel. Result they do them.

They might just be being pleasant. Inside they might think what a pain in the ar5e he is turning up when we are relaxing 
Ha maybe...I won't try to read their minds - but this is true account of how it went ...

First custy - had a 'thank you' card written for me thanking for still coming to clean their windows - with a nice note of appreciation of my note I've  been leaving with all my custies that during this time if they need any errands/shopping/medcines fetching - or any help to 'just ring me' we had a  +20min chat. 

Second custy - came out 'oh weren't sure if you would called today - but thanks for still coming - its' so nice to see someone' (Couple in 70's - self isolating) we had a good chinwag +20 min - and offer of a cold drink (turned down) I do her front door manually at the end (it leaks) when finished that and walking away -  out she pops again - 'thanks again see you soon!' (she also said 'your a lovely man' but we won't dwell on that ? )

Third custy - office closed - but I have the code ? then i do her house - nice chat

Fourth - chap comes out we chat for +20mins - his wife comes out joins in...she drifts in we're still chatting - finally I clean their windows...he offers me some of his plants he's grown from seed.

Fifth - They're in the back garden - I do the front and they come to unlock side gate - offered drink (declined) hubby and wife gardening - we chat about how their grown daughter is currently ill with covid - I offer a few anecdotes about others who have pulled thru including a certain 'PT' - they thank me for calling and I leave them cheered (or that's what I took from it)

Sixth custy older gent - I was going PW his drive - I called first and explained I didn't realise today was a BH - would he like me to reschedule (he's a w/c custy) he thought for a sec and said - if we can  - me no prob - here's my next free date - we chatted about his spinal backpain/whiskies/how he's getting his shopping - he then asked me when I come again can I also do S+F+G and his large brickwork flight of steps - gave him price and booked him it.

Thats a 100% truthful account  - so I'd like to think judging on what happened - everyone was as nice a pie - as all my custy's are ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha maybe...I won't try to read their minds - but this is true account of how it went ...

First custy - had a 'thank you' card written for me thanking for still coming to clean their windows - with a nice note of appreciation of my note I've  been leaving with all my custies that during this time if they need any errands/shopping/medcines fetching - or any help to 'just ring me' we had a  +20min chat. 

Second custy - came out 'oh weren't sure if you would called today - but thanks for still coming - its' so nice to see someone' (Couple in 70's - self isolating) we had a good chinwag +20 min - and offer of a cold drink (turned down) I do her front door manually at the end (it leaks) when finished that and walking away -  out she pops again - 'thanks again see you soon!' (she also said 'your a lovely man' but we won't dwell on that ? )

Third custy - office closed - but I have the code ? then i do her house - nice chat

Fourth - chap comes out we chat for +20mins - his wife comes out joins in...she drifts in we're still chatting - finally I clean their windows...he offers me some of his plants he's grown from seed.

Fifth - They're in the back garden - I do the front and they come to unlock side gate - offered drink (declined) hubby and wife gardening - we chat about how their grown daughter is currently ill with covid - I offer a few anecdotes about others who have pulled thru including a certain 'PT' - they thank me for calling and I leave them cheered (or that's what I took from it)

Sixth custy older gent - I was going PW his drive - I called first and explained I didn't realise today was a BH - would he like me to reschedule (he's a w/c custy) he thought for a sec and said - if we can  - me no prob - here's my next free date - we chatted about his spinal backpain/whiskies/how he's getting his shopping - he then asked me when I come again can I also do S+F+G and his large brickwork flight of steps - gave him price and booked him it.

Thats a 100% truthful account  - so I'd like to think judging on what happened - everyone was as nice a pie - as all my custy's are ? 
Can’t believe you could be bothered to write all that ?

Yep, did one job in the morning. Small bungalow gutter clean and windows and £80. The other half was working too, and the weather was a bit drizzly in the morning. By the time I got home the skies cleared and I had a few beers in the garden in the sun...... I think that was a productive morning with a great remainder of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back