Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

awful news . lesson to all polers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I took today off and tried to get some specific information on types of poles and network voltages within a domestic residential setting to hopefully add some transparent context to a new safety video I'm making which may assist new starters entering the trade.

I spoke with representatives from the National Grid and the energy networks association who were easily contactable and open to questions but unfortunately were unable to give me specific information due to a huge degree of liability and also types of cable management on a nationwide scale.

They were both sticking to their Look Out, Look Up! Campaign Toolkit 2018 which is in short a common sense approach and the basic narrative of stay away from every and all power lines.

I explained in detail to them how we use telescopic water fed poles, gutter vacuums & many chemical application methods all due to the health and safety directive of not working at height and mitigating the use of ladders

They both agreed that our revised methods still don't put us in a safer working capacity and that they were unable to clarify what types of domestic Grid connection were more lethal than others

Below are some images from the roads where most of my domestic customers live and the 3 phase high voltage uninsulated twisted conductors in close proximity to the homes which can be extremely dangerous when using a water fed pole or gutter vacuum, one gust of wind or lapse in concentration and you're toast

I agree that the connections to our homes needs better regulations and revised forms of additional insulation.

I myself am a qualified electromechanical engineer and I've spent years working around 3 phase and high currents however not everyone knows the dangers and education is key.

Here are a few useful resources that may better help you in mitigating electrocution, injury and death whilst going about your rounds

Attachments

• 20240516_133134.jpg
    20240516_133134.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240516_133112.jpg
    20240516_133112.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240516_133104.jpg
    20240516_133104.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 0
I took today off and tried to get some specific information on types of poles and network voltages within a domestic residential setting to hopefully add some transparent context to a new safety video I'm making which may assist new starters entering the trade.

I spoke with representatives from the National Grid and the energy networks association who were easily contactable and open to questions but unfortunately were unable to give me specific information due to a huge degree of liability and also types of cable management on a nationwide scale.

They were both sticking to their Look Out, Look Up! Campaign Toolkit 2018 which is in short a common sense approach and the basic narrative of stay away from every and all power lines.

I explained in detail to them how we use telescopic water fed poles, gutter vacuums & many chemical application methods all due to the health and safety directive of not working at height and mitigating the use of ladders

They both agreed that our revised methods still don't put us in a safer working capacity and that they were unable to clarify what types of domestic Grid connection were more lethal than others

Below are some images from the roads where most of my domestic customers live and the 3 phase high voltage uninsulated twisted conductors in close proximity to the homes which can be extremely dangerous when using a water fed pole or gutter vacuum, one gust of wind or lapse in concentration and you're toast

I agree that the connections to our homes needs better regulations and revised forms of additional insulation.

I myself am a qualified electromechanical engineer and I've spent years working around 3 phase and high currents however not everyone knows the dangers and education is key.

Here are a few useful resources that may better help you in mitigating electrocution, injury and death whilst going about your rounds

Thank you so much for this @AW Services I really don’t know anything about this kind of stuff so this info is invaluable

Hi AW. I’ve got this sitting right next to a few rows of houses I clean. I do them trad so it’s ok but there are a few fascia jobs to do down there. It’s approx 10 meters from the houses.

One of my customers used to have a wfp bloke do her windows and she’s the closest house to this. What do you think?

Attachments

• DFEDE249-7363-4B0A-8A33-89FB3DEEA151.jpeg
    DFEDE249-7363-4B0A-8A33-89FB3DEEA151.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • C4E5C0C5-88BD-4F54-ADCE-A375979D47C6.jpeg
    C4E5C0C5-88BD-4F54-ADCE-A375979D47C6.jpeg
    850 KB · Views: 0
Hi AW. I’ve got this sitting right next to a few rows of houses I clean. I do them trad so it’s ok but there are a few fascia jobs to do down there. It’s approx 10 meters from the houses.

One of my customers used to have a wfp bloke do her windows and she’s the closest house to this. What do you think?
Personally, I would extend my wfp in the opposite direction from those power lines. I very much doubt your pole would reach them, but it may be close enough for a current to jump from the cable to the pole. I would also only clean them in dry weather.

We sold our 4-bed Bungalow before we migrated back to the UK back in 1994. It was built on the edge of a 'vlei' (Afrikaans). Over this depression were these overhead power lines, a stream that ran in the rainy season, a thick underground power cable that ran next to the garden wall that supplied the houses around us and large sewage pipes with manholes every so often.

44 Witdoring.jpg

In the wet weather, we could see and hear the electricity flashing and tracking up those insulators and earthing through the pylons. Every now and again, they would apparently run a high current down the lines during the dry weather and walk the area underneath looking and listening for connector failures. We knew when they we doing it, as the lines made quite a racket. Definitely, we wouldn't go near that 'vlei' when they were testing the lines.

I thought the guys doing the job were nuts.

Providing you're not shooting constant streams of water while holding a soaking wet pole with damp hands you'll be okay.

Here's a real issue that's not covered
Many wfp manufacturers actually print safety warnings on poles and some incorporate an insulated base pole, However most serious cases of wfp electrocution actually happen because the current goes down the tubing in the water and can explode the pole or completely break through any insulation or exit the base of the pole and find the quickest path to ground.

Regardless of electricity I always wear heavy duty tesco black rubber gloves as it stops my hands getting wet, dirty and also a secondary layer of insulation in case of electricity

Just be smart, assess your work area. Look around and look up.

Consider these factors when pricing up new work

have any of you guys felt an electric shock when cleaning solar panels? ,i have not ever cleaned panels however when cleaning out gutters i have felt voltage on several different occasions [where the panels fairly close to the gutter say up to a foot away .Not high voltage per se but definitely enough to get a tingle even when wearing rubber gloves

have any of you guys felt an electric shock when cleaning solar panels? ,i have not ever cleaned panels however when cleaning out gutters i have felt voltage on several different occasions [where the panels fairly close to the gutter say up to a foot away .Not high voltage per se but definitely enough to get a tingle even when wearing rubber gloves
I've felt shocks with gutter vac poles but put it down to static build up as it was very sandy waste getting sucked up. There were cables running in the gutters but they were from the roof aerial. If they have a signal booster is there a little current in those cables?

I've felt shocks with gutter vac poles but put it down to static build up as it was very sandy waste getting sucked up. There were cables running in the gutters but they were from the roof aerial. If they have a signal booster is there a little current in those cables?
makes me wonder what are the electric bills like for folk who have continual leaking electric onto their roof ? .One thing i do know it doesnt kill grass growing in the gutter praps it even encourages it?

Looking up will let you see ware the wires are and you can then keep away from them it won’t jump more than a meter or so
I was surprised to learn it can jump up to 5 meters depending on voltage and weather conditions!

Thanks to the OP for this thread. I have been a bit complacent on this topic. Now I know what to look out for and it's opened my eyes to the danger on some of the properties I'm working on. Thanks!

I was surprised to learn it can jump up to 5 meters depending on voltage and weather conditions!

Thanks to the OP for this thread. I have been a bit complacent on this topic. Now I know what to look out for and it's opened my eyes to the danger on some of the properties I'm working on. Thanks!
In our training with the fire service it was said up to a meter on the lower stuff and a bit more of the very high metal pylons . Personally have never seen it happen though

Electrocution via current jump or air gap is something that can happen however there are many factors to create this.

The best safety message is to treat or power lines as lethal and have the upmost respect for them whilst being alert, mindful & plan your work carefully

I have compiled a easy to find list of resources to help signpost new and existing exterior cleaning contractors to the dangers of working in close proximity to overhead power lines

This won't get lost amongst hundreds of other posts and could possibly save someone else from serious injuries or death

It may be a good idea to copy and paste this resources thread into new starters posts and treated as a number one priority before anything else is listed

Thread 'Working near overhead power lines - Exterior cleaners health & safety' https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/...-lines-exterior-cleaners-health-safety.39049/

In our training with the fire service it was said up to a meter on the lower stuff and a bit more of the very high metal pylons . Personally have never seen it happen though
In the right conditions it can but it is a freak occurrence and could happen to any of us.

Before I started window cleaning I had 30+ years in the scaffolding game ,12 of them on the health and safety side . You’d be surprised how many people have lost their lives working around overhead lines. People don’t realise electricity can jump a fair way and you don’t need to actually touch the lines .

My wife and I visited a farm shop not too far from where we live yesterday. As we got out of the car I realised we were right under some power lines running between two huge pylons in the fields either side. I don't know the voltage running in those cables but guessing it was in the many thousands judging by the considerable noise they were making. Crackling mainly but very audible. Sounded like it was coming from all along the cables. It reminded me of this thread.

My wife and I visited a farm shop not too far from where we live yesterday. As we got out of the car I realised we were right under some power lines running between two huge pylons in the fields either side. I don't know the voltage running in those cables but guessing it was in the many thousands judging by the considerable noise they were making. Crackling mainly but very audible. Sounded like it was coming from all along the cables. It reminded me of this thread.
Most are around 400,000 volts they crackle as they create 'corona discharge' which is often because of moisture in the air. Rain drops on the lines or early morning dew

You wouldn't want to touch one of those lines. Instant game over

Latest Posts

Back