Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What business would you like to start next?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

When i started out 3 years ago i thought great, i want to do this forever.. own boss, spare time, decent money etc.

Then when i got to the point of being busy everyday (only really this year) it got boring fast. Spare time? nope less time now than i was employed, sure i can take a day off but ill have to pay it back double the next day. Now im a slave to customers.

I now know the part that i enjoy is the struggle, the business side of things, the building etc. cleaning windows is ok, theres worse jobs but being limited to just being a "window cleaner" for the next 30 years until i retire  fills me with a sense of dread.

I want much more from life than that...

Now im looking at window cleaning as my first step into the world of business. I will grow the round to the point i can free up time to look into other ventures.

Not sure what it will be, theres loads and loads of options, ideally i would go into property but it takes a lot of capital to get into, but will definately be looking at things than can produce passive income or be systematised to run themselves.
I think your steps should be employing and taking a step back. Eventually to the point where you no longer clean and you have other jobs to focus on. 

Plenty of opertunity out there. 

When i started out 3 years ago i thought great, i want to do this forever.. own boss, spare time, decent money etc.

Then when i got to the point of being busy everyday (only really this year) it got boring fast. Spare time? nope less time now than i was employed, sure i can take a day off but ill have to pay it back double the next day. Now im a slave to customers.

I now know the part that i enjoy is the struggle, the business side of things, the building etc. cleaning windows is ok, theres worse jobs but being limited to just being a "window cleaner" for the next 30 years until i retire  fills me with a sense of dread.

Now im looking at window cleaning as my first step into the world of business. I will grow the round to the point i can free up time to look into other ventures.

Not sure what it will be, theres loads and loads of options, ideally i would go into property but it takes a lot of capital to get into, but will definately be looking at things than can produce passive income or be systematised to run themselves.
I have got sickened off with my business in the past at different times over the years and thought I would be better off doing something else and wouldn't it be great having a decent job with holiday pay etc, But it all depends were you are with your business things can greatly improve over the years and make you view things differently.

Things will only get better, But it's down to passing time and implementing the right changes for own business. Bottom line for me is I have got a job for life their ain't many people in this day and age can say that.

I fully appreciate that, but any of you want to talk it over pros and cons what I would do diff it will only cost you a coffee and a trip to derby lol.

Happy to advise just annoys me when people think it’s the golden goose and it ain’t lol not if you do it properly

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

As I've said before, I ran a family business that employed 20+ people and even if I trebled my turnover î wouldn't employ anyone. I would either get some Partners or subcontract. I appreciate that this brings it's own problems but not the same as employing someone. 

I fully appreciate that, but any of you want to talk it over pros and cons what I would do diff it will only cost you a coffee and a trip to derby lol.

Happy to advise just annoys me when people think it’s the golden goose and it ain’t lol not if you do it properly

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I've been looking at other business ideas me and the Mrs could run on the side and have been looking into kids party equipment. Bouncy castle and soft play set ups. Since we had a party for my daughter and paid £150 for the guy to turn up with a bouncy castle and ball pond with a slide set it up in about 20 mins and pick it up in the afternoon in another 20 mins. He has 5 parties that day on his booking sheet. The initial out lay and insurance is hefty but they are making serious cash

On the other side of that, there's a lad round the corner from me who does that, to giant vans that I've never seen moved off the driveway

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I will have been in business 18 years next March and will always stick by what a guy who I have known most of my life former windy now retired who employed for over 20 years,

His very words were don't employ always try to manage on your own, You will save yourself loads of unnecessary stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll happily do this for another 20 years to retirement, got seven years left on the mortgage, kids growing fast, and quiet happy with my lot.
Even though we tolerate bad weather and (bad customers lol), I some times look at my peers and other people flogging hard to make a crust and thank my lucky stars for what I have.

On the other side of that, there's a lad round the corner from me who does that, to giant vans that I've never seen moved off the driveway

Same as anything mate you get out what you put in and must advertise relentlessly until you no longer need too! There is another window cleaner on a road near me who started up got a smart sign written van and he's always parked on the drive. I've never seen anything on way of advertising from him. Some people think they can enter a business get the hear then just wait for the work to come in. Life ain't like that though as we know 

@chris clean I think their is likely to be a fair few of those across the UK, Their is another cleaner in my area whose van is always parked up outside his house in a street i clean fully signed up with newly fitted system.  One of my good clients tells me it hardly ever moves and he is a retired guy who is nearly always at home.

Building a solid window cleaning business is a lot harder these days than it was say 5-6 years ago, Their is and was 2-3 firms coming from around 17 miles away trying to make in roads in the area i work and they have and are failing, 100's have new houses have been built and are planned to be built within 2 miles of me so considered rich pickings , But its a long game to gain solid compact work on new development's 

Yes another job would be nice at times. But the beauty is on a good day I'm earning what some of my mates are earning in a week . As I get older I would be happy to drop down to half days and stilll be making top rate pay 

Everyone different, horses for courses....Like and admire your ambition and drive....next year Rodders

Yes another job would be nice at times. But the beauty is on a good day I'm earning what some of my mates are earning in a week . As I get older I would be happy to drop down to half days and stilll be making top rate pay 
My plan...sort of semi retirement

100's have new houses have been built and are planned to be built within 2 miles of me so considered rich pickings , But its a long game to gain solid compact work on new development's

This is quite true.   Another new build estate going up near us.  First 5 moving in before Xmas and a total of 360 being built. Thing is won't be finished till 2023. Six years. That's a long wait for some new windows. 

Resin bonded driveways! That's what I would do. It's newish, lots of sellable points, and where I am there is only 1 operator for a service that's popular and in demand.

Unfortunately even if i wanted to, I have no landscaping know how.

Back