Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What pressure washer?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just finished PW my sisters round design Indian sandstone patio and then softwash to remove the lichen. It came up great but the joints were 25mm wide and very little mortar left in them. I ended up spending all afternoon filling the joints with sand and cement. Has anyone had this problem on a patio and do you explain this to the client before you start. Mine turned out good but 4hrs filling the joints is no laughing matter. I was going to use Easy Joint (£30) a tub but I would have needed at least 3 tubs with the size of joints. It is a silicon joint filler and doesn't leave any staining so everyone is using it for patios.

Did you take any before. And after pics

How many m2 did you do? 

Yes, about 130m2

I was doing the driveway for £300 and she said too cheap so we agreed £400 and I buy the sand. Bag of 25kg sand was only £3 plus vat at my local merchants, I did biocide the weed bits a week before I commenced. In hindsight I wouldn't bother, that turbo nozzle would destroy anything that gets in its way, that reminds me, I need to see about a double headed turbo nozzle.

I was PW a Indian sandstone coping dike next to a pond with goldfish in it. Was a bit apprehensive incase any of the hypo got into the pond. Afterwards, there was still a lot of black lichen on the flat coping. Today I brushed on 15% hypo neat with a nail brush where the black lichen was. After 45mins it all had gone so I just rinsed off with a hose.  

Hi Scottish

just to answer a couple of your questions. yes I (and anyone who regularly does patios) come across mortar loss very often, my approach is to inform the customer that they need it refilling afterwards and I only offer to use easy joint/Geofix, if they want it doing any other way then they are free to either do it themselves or to get a builder/landscaper in to do it. my service is cleaning, sanding and sealing. I dont like falling into the trap of mortaring as then your heading towards odd job man territory, and the 4 hours spent doing that could have seen you clean another block paved drive depending on how booked you are. So long as your friendly and make them aware of the issue before hand you wont lose work as a result of not offering a re-mortaring service.

Another mortar problem you will run into is that a lot of area will be free of mortar but various area of the paving will have it set in like iron. if you've offered to re-mortar then you'll have to either find a way to match the existing mortar, stone saw the existing mortar out or brush in a mis-matched mix which will not look great. in my opinion its one of those things thats best left off the list of services unless you've a whole lot of time on your hands

Your right that a turbo remove weeds but it wont take all of the roots out on all of them and i always advise customers by way of an aftercare sheet that maintenance is essential to keep weeds back due to roots under the blocks. never guarantee a weed free surface as youll be setting yourself up for call backs and end up redoing areas for free. If I get to a job and its like a lawn on the paving then I will pre treat with weedkiller before tackling it a week or so later

Do you have a flat surface cleaner? as one of these will be a better investment than a double turbo with regard to speeding up the whole process. my routine is to FSC the blocks then go over the joints with the turbo to take out any stubborn weeds.

Sounds like your doing some good work mate, long may it continue!

My jet washer has an Interpump and a briggs and Stratton engine. Haven't had any problem with it and very reliable. Only thing I don't like about it is the weight. Must be near 100kgs so I just boxed it into the van and it never comes out. When I use it, I leave side and back door fully open and place bin at the back door. Wont use it for less than £100 a time and I can still get other things in the van.

Evening all
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on the conversation but it may help Would someone be able to point me in the direction of a pressure washer for £600 ?
I’m just getting into it as I have a windows round so this would be an additional income
Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Evening all
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on the conversation but it may help Would someone be able to point me in the direction of a pressure washer for £600 ?
I’m just getting into it as I have a windows round so this would be an additional income
Brett

Ideally you want a Honda GX390 petrol with an interpump. 15lpm or 21lpm 

4000 psi pump 30m hose and a 2m Lance with turbo nozzle. Probably looking at 1500 quid brand new.

But as the pressure washing season hasn't got that much time left now you might pick up a near new unit still under warrenty a lot less than this. Check ebay. Or save up more cash and buy one next March.Then you will have a machine capable of getting through any driveway fast and work all day long if needed.

As an add on service that wouldn’t be used all the time, that would be to much to spend. If it helps I would be softwashing as well

I've had my new PW over 2 months now and made over a grand back from 4 jobs. Each job is minimum of a ton and usually £200, no point doing it for anything less. I'm very happy with it and understand its worth. I would do PW all day long if I could get the work. Limited amount of work out there until one is established.

what are the loncin washers like from jet mac 
Had no problem with mine and good value too as people have stated though any problems washer has to be sent back to Jetmac at buyers own expense but most problems can be sorted by sending a video or photo of problem and advice can be given or in some cases basic Jetmac servicing videos can be found online

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I would personally buy the best second hand unit you can for your budget! I would go for a Honda gx390 and if you can get a 21ltr per minute unit this will do you well

I think if anyone is getting their first PW then its got to be new. Buy second hand and it breaks then your introduction to PW will be finished. Probably get a discount next month due to the time of year. Plus if you buy new then you get a years guarantee!

Everyone I spoke to and I mean everyone said buy the best Honda gx variant you can afford

Ours has never missed a beat no matter the weather, the hammer or length of job.

We’ve had it running 3 x 15 hour days on the trot and it’s fine

They are the chocolate hobnobs of the pw world

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think if anyone is getting their first PW then its got to be new. Buy second hand and it breaks then your introduction to PW will be finished. Probably get a discount next month due to the time of year. Plus if you buy new then you get a years guarantee!
You can buy second a hand machine and if its still in warranty then the new owner can use it if he gets all the paperwork on the machine..

Plenty of people start selling them off soon for a fraction off what they bought them for.

Back